• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied
    Re: conference finances

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Why they ever signed the deal with that exclusivity clause is beyond me.
    It was either signing that or no deal most likely. At the end of the day, the coverage (read: amount of games) won't be terribly dissimilar, you just will be seeing a variety of teams instead of just UND and Denver.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't looking at it from a dollars perspective. Doesn't do me any good if UND gets a huge check from CBS I just like watching the games on FCS or Root Sports out of Denver, especially because of the time difference, so I can watch the Hockey East/Maine game and then catch the UND or Denver game. It seems like there will be less college hockey on TV, not more. That's a loss for fans.
    Don't worry, you'll have plenty of Big Ten games on Tuesday and Thursday nights to fill in the void.

For a UND fan in Colorado it's frustrating, but I understand why the school did it. Fortunately for me, it is a quick connection of the HDMI cord to my TV and the game is on.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Yeah, I wasn't looking at it from a dollars perspective. Doesn't do me any good if UND gets a huge check from CBS I just like watching the games on FCS or Root Sports out of Denver, especially because of the time difference, so I can watch the Hockey East/Maine game and then catch the UND or Denver game. It seems like there will be less college hockey on TV, not more. That's a loss for fans.
    Agreed. It is a step back for national exposure for college hockey in my opinion considering CBS Sports and out of market access to FSC and Root Sports are on the same tier in most TV packages. We'll see less games nationally. Why they ever signed the deal with that exclusivity clause is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I believe it is at least 20 games/season...so unlikely to be both nights, but that could easily change. As the deal is structured currently, Denver and North Dakota are limited to the games that CBS chooses to show (for conference games). However, I have heard that there are still some negotiations to be had between each of the NCHC schools and CBS regarding games that CBS chooses not to air. That being said, that is one of many rumors that I've heard regarding the TV deal.

Leave a comment:

• darker98
    replied

As for it being a "horrible TV deal," it really depends on how you look at it. For the fans that live outside of the Midco Sports area, yes, it sucks. However, for the school, they will make a whole lot more $$$ now than they ever have before.
    I was looking at it from coverage. You are probably right about the school making the cash.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

So CBS will choose one game to show nationally and no one else gets televised? Wow. That sucks for Denver and North Dakota. And for those of us who like watching the games. Will CBS be covering the games both nights? Can Denver and North Dakota have games televised if CBS is busy with football or basketball? That's even worse than I originally thought...
    I believe it is at least 20 games/season...so unlikely to be both nights, but that could easily change. As the deal is structured currently, Denver and North Dakota are limited to the games that CBS chooses to show (for conference games). However, I have heard that there are still some negotiations to be had between each of the NCHC schools and CBS regarding games that CBS chooses not to air. That being said, that is one of many rumors that I've heard regarding the TV deal.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
    I feel for UND fans that aren't in the local area. UND really got screwed for coverage in this deal. I'll only gain if UND away games are televised.
    There will assuredly be some UND away games that will be televised.

As for it being a "horrible TV deal," it really depends on how you look at it. For the fans that live outside of the Midco Sports area, yes, it sucks. However, for the school, they will make a whole lot more $$$ now than they ever have before.

Personally, all it means is that I'll have to hook up my computer to the TV. FWIW, it will likely be better quality than I enjoy now. I just lose the convenience of being able to use my remote to watch the game.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Correct. In fact, CBS has national exclusivity for all NCHC games. Which means that regional broadcasts (such as FSC and Root Sports broadcasts) will no longer be available nationally either.

Horrible TV deal for UND and DU, in my opinion, but should be beneficial for the other NCHC programs.
    So CBS will choose one game to show nationally and no one else gets televised? Wow. That sucks for Denver and North Dakota. And for those of us who like watching the games. Will CBS be covering the games both nights? Can Denver and North Dakota have games televised if CBS is busy with football or basketball? That's even worse than I originally thought...

Leave a comment:

• darker98
    replied

Horrible TV deal for UND and DU, in my opinion, but should be beneficial for the other NCHC programs.
    I feel for UND fans that aren't in the local area. UND really got screwed for coverage in this deal. I'll only gain if UND away games are televised.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    That is for this season. The Mexican dancing bear was asking about future seasons. There will not be any NCHC games on NBC Sports Network in the near future following this season.
    Correct. In fact, CBS has national exclusivity for all NCHC games. Which means that regional broadcasts (such as FSC and Root Sports broadcasts) will no longer be available nationally either.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    My understanding is that both UNO and Denver have some sort of relationship with the NBC Sports Network although I have not read this, I've been told this by various individuals in this forum which supposedly explains this:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2012/9...college-hockey

I believe it may have been the Gopher thread where I was told this. If UNO does, it hasn't been talked about around here that I know of.
    That is for this season. The Mexican dancing bear was asking about future seasons. There will not be any NCHC games on NBC Sports Network in the near future following this season.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    What, if, any, contracts for national (vs. regional) T.V. network coverage have been established between the NCHC, Big 10 hockey, and television networks?
    My understanding is that both UNO and Denver have some sort of relationship with the NBC Sports Network although I have not read this, I've been told this by various individuals in this forum which supposedly explains this:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2012/9...college-hockey

I believe it may have been the Gopher thread where I was told this. If UNO does, it hasn't been talked about around here that I know of.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Bear Red with a dumb thread? Is it the off-season already?

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    What, if, any, contracts for national (vs. regional) T.V. network coverage have been established between the NCHC, Big 10 hockey, and television networks?
    http://www.google.com

Do your own research for once instead of asking other people to do it. Or, you could even read through some of the threads on this message board where the info has already been posted.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied

I believe...

Big Ten - Big Ten Network
    Hockey East - NBC Sports
    NCHC - CBS Sports

Leave a comment:

Working...
X