• Osorojo
    replied
    Re: conference finances

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    I believe...

Big Ten - Big Ten Network
    Hockey East - NBC Sports
    NCHC - CBS Sports
    Thanks for the information - sans attitude. Does the Big Ten network qualify as a "national network?"

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

This could be a first. Osorojo started a train wreck and an actual hockey discussion broke out.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I do too. I wasn't a fan of the deal, but I understand why the schools did it ($$$). Ultimately though, worst case scenario, you are replacing 22-26 UND and DU games with 20 NCHC games. The plethora of Tuesday and Thursday B1G games will more than make up for losing out on 2-6 UND and DU games for the vast majority of college hockey fans. For those of us that are truly affected, we can still hook up our computers to our TVs.
    Agreed. Not as bad as it seemed at first. Still feel a bit bad for people like you who will have to watch more web feeds to see your team play. But if you guys are ok with it then I certainly can't complain.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

I hope you are right. I really do. I like having 2-3 games to watch every Friday and Saturday.
    I do too. I wasn't a fan of the deal, but I understand why the schools did it ($$$). Ultimately though, worst case scenario, you are replacing 22-26 UND and DU games with 20 NCHC games. The plethora of Tuesday and Thursday B1G games will more than make up for losing out on 2-6 UND and DU games for the vast majority of college hockey fans. For those of us that are truly affected, we can still hook up our computers to our TVs.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Keep in mind that I am a UND fan outside the home market. Also, keep in mind that 20 games is the minimum (although, I certainly don't expect more). Also, keep in mind that the 20 games/exclusivity clause only applies to conference games. That leaves anywhere from 14-16 non-conference games available per team. We could very well see more games on TV than there were before.

I wasn't in the room when the deal was done. My guess is that the exclusivity clause was a deal-maker or deal-breaker for CBS because I highly doubt the National agreed to the deal without understanding its ramifications.
    I hope you are right. I really do. I like having 2-3 games to watch every Friday and Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

I'm sure UND and DU fans outside those home markets feel a bit differently. At the end of the day, you're probably right in that the number of games played nationally may only go down slightly (even with 20 games on CBS Sports, it will be less than what we have now). I just think they could have worked out a deal without the exclusivity clause.
    Keep in mind that I am a UND fan outside the home market. Also, keep in mind that 20 games is the minimum (although, I certainly don't expect more). Also, keep in mind that the 20 games/exclusivity clause only applies to conference games. That leaves anywhere from 14-16 non-conference games available per team. We could very well see more games on TV than there were before.

I wasn't in the room when the deal was done. My guess is that the exclusivity clause was a deal-maker or deal-breaker for CBS because I highly doubt the National agreed to the deal without understanding its ramifications.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    It was either signing that or no deal most likely. At the end of the day, the coverage (read: amount of games) won't be terribly dissimilar, you just will be seeing a variety of teams instead of just UND and Denver.
    I'm sure UND and DU fans outside those home markets feel a bit differently. At the end of the day, you're probably right in that the number of games played nationally may only go down slightly (even with 20 games on CBS Sports, it will be less than what we have now). I just think they could have worked out a deal without the exclusivity clause.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Lets nip all this in the bud. I've never heard of any school, except the Gophers, receiving broadcast rights fees for college hockey. And the Gophers probably only net somewhere around $100,000 from FSN-North after its all said and done.

Schools like DU & UND pay part of the production costs to televise these games. In return they receive a bunch of pretty worthless ad time and more important, the games are televised. DU likely uses their WCHA Final 5 income to fund the production costs.

Five years ago DU probably had 18 games or so on Fox Sports-Rocky Mountain. This season is down to six or so, plus around six men's hoops games and a couple of women's hoops games. DU still pays around the same amount as before, but they're trying to push hoops out on the airwaves at the expense of hockey coverage.

Since Root Sports is owned by DirecTV fans outside of the region can usually only see games via Dish Network or DirecTV. CBS Sports Network has a far larger footprint than Root Sports-Rocky Mountain.

NCHC teams will only have 24 conference games, so 10-12 non-conference games could be televised elsewhere. That means that UND & DU could still have some non-conference games on FCS-Central/Atlantic/Pacific & Root Sports.

The NCHC teams will be paying the production costs of the conference games, so its doubtful that anyone will be receiving a check for broadcast rights. Likely they will fund the TV with profits from the NCHC Tournament in MPLS.

The Big Ten schools won't be receiving larger payouts for their games either. In fact since BTN will televise more hockey games, the schools will likely incur less profits since they co-own the network. As we all know the B1G schools get $10,000,000 plus checks annually from the BTN.

One of the reasons DU & UND were upset with the WCHA was that they wanted to use the Final 5 monies/profits to purchase TV time for a league contract. The smaller schools counted on the $100,000 annual checks and balked at the idea.
    Just skimmed your post quickly, but that was all that I needed to do to know that you completely missed my point. I wasn't referring to finances what-so-ever. I was merely pointing out that it will suck for UND and DU fans outside those home markets. Not to mention all college hockey fans because the number of nationally televised games will be going down.

And you are wrong about one point. With this CBS deal, absolutely ZERO DU or UND games will be broadcast nationally on Root Sports or FSC unless CBS gives them the right to. Which would mean giving CBS $$$. Not going to happen IMO. If they were willing to do that, they would have negotiated a less profitable deal without the exclusivity clause.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

I believe...

Big Ten - Big Ten Network
    Hockey East - NBC Sports
    NCHC - CBS Sports
    Someone also has a contract with a regional network in New England, NESN or something like that? I was watching them this weekend (Dartmouth Quinnipiac game). Channel 28 in CT Comcast coverage.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Lets nip all this in the bud. I've never heard of any school, except the Gophers, receiving broadcast rights fees for college hockey. And the Gophers probably only net somewhere around $100,000 from FSN-North after its all said and done.
    NET (the public broadcasting entity in this state) televises a few UNO hockey games statewide here in Nebraska every year and have been, literally, since day one. I don't know whether UNO receives any funds from NET for this or not. (Or conversely, if UNO is paying them to televise these games). I just looked through the athletic department budget (readily available online) and saw no mention of this in the budget one way or the other at all. Somebody is paying someone to do this, however, and it seems logical that UNO would not do this for nothing. There is no mention of it in this recent article, either:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012122...712239937/1001

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    As long as pays off more than a UAA home game does for ticket sales I will be happy. So $15.
    Considering that UND has already received a $1 million TV deal from Midco, my guess is that it pays off more than a UAA home game does for ticket sales.

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

Horrible TV deal for UND and DU, in my opinion, but should be beneficial for the other NCHC programs.

Schools like DU & UND pay part of the production costs to televise these games. In return they receive a bunch of pretty worthless ad time and more important, the games are televised. DU likely uses their WCHA Final 5 income to fund the production costs.

Five years ago DU probably had 18 games or so on Fox Sports-Rocky Mountain. This season is down to six or so, plus around six men's hoops games and a couple of women's hoops games. DU still pays around the same amount as before, but they're trying to push hoops out on the airwaves at the expense of hockey coverage.

Since Root Sports is owned by DirecTV fans outside of the region can usually only see games via Dish Network or DirecTV. CBS Sports Network has a far larger footprint than Root Sports-Rocky Mountain.

NCHC teams will only have 24 conference games, so 10-12 non-conference games could be televised elsewhere. That means that UND & DU could still have some non-conference games on FCS-Central/Atlantic/Pacific & Root Sports.

The NCHC teams will be paying the production costs of the conference games, so its doubtful that anyone will be receiving a check for broadcast rights. Likely they will fund the TV with profits from the NCHC Tournament in MPLS.

The Big Ten schools won't be receiving larger payouts for their games either. In fact since BTN will televise more hockey games, the schools will likely incur less profits since they co-own the network. As we all know the B1G schools get $10,000,000 plus checks annually from the BTN.

One of the reasons DU & UND were upset with the WCHA was that they wanted to use the Final 5 monies/profits to purchase TV time for a league contract. The smaller schools counted on the $100,000 annual checks and balked at the idea.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Cos that .7 Neilsen Rating really pays off for college hockey broadcasts.
    Darrell Hammond as Regis Philbin, during the SNL game shows intro: "A FIFTY! ...a three." (the second when pointing to Will Ferrell playing Alex Trebek, in reference to Jeopardy)

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    As long as pays off more than a UAA home game does for ticket sales I will be happy. So $15.

Leave a comment:

• uaafanblog
    replied

However, for the school, they will make a whole lot more $$$ now than they ever have before.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X