• Show
Clear All

Re: conference finances

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    I believe...

Big Ten - Big Ten Network
    Hockey East - NBC Sports
    NCHC - CBS Sports
    Thanks for the information - sans attitude. Does the Big Ten network qualify as a "national network?"

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      Thanks for the information - sans attitude. Does the Big Ten network qualify as a "national network?"
      Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Bear Red with a dumb thread? Is it the off-season already?
        Aw, come on. Either you know the answer or you don't. Otherwise, "Sheddapp." [Looney Toons dog]

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
          Outside the Big Ten markets (where it is on most standard cable packages), I believe it is on the same sports tier as NBC Sports and a tier lower (cheaper to obtain) than CBS Sports. So I would say yes.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Outside the Big Ten markets (where it is on most standard cable packages), I believe it is on the same sports tier as NBC Sports and a tier lower (cheaper to obtain) than CBS Sports. So I would say yes.
            On DirecTV, the B1G is on starting with the Choice Package. NBC Sports and CBS Sports are on starting with the Choice Xtra Package ($5 more than Choice, 60+ more channels). Choice Xtra is by far the most popular package for DirecTV consumers (according to DirecTV)...but I highly doubt that is because of NBC Sports and CBS Sports.
            Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

The NCHC contract with CBS Sports Network doesn't call for NO games to be televised on regional cable networks like ROOTSPORTS or whatever they call the FSSN now. It only means the particular game CBS Sports shows can't also be shown concurrently by a team's "home" network. When CBS is showing a Miami/UNO game, ROOTS can still show a DU game. CBS will be the exclusive national TV outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                I do too. I wasn't a fan of the deal, but I understand why the schools did it ($$$). Ultimately though, worst case scenario, you are replacing 22-26 UND and DU games with 20 NCHC games. The plethora of Tuesday and Thursday B1G games will more than make up for losing out on 2-6 UND and DU games for the vast majority of college hockey fans. For those of us that are truly affected, we can still hook up our computers to our TVs.

the Big Ten plays BB on Tuesdays and Thurdays.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  The NCHC contract with CBS Sports Network doesn't call for NO games to be televised on regional cable networks like ROOTSPORTS or whatever they call the FSSN now. It only means the particular game CBS Sports shows can't also be shown concurrently by a team's "home" network. When CBS is showing a Miami/UNO game, ROOTS can still show a DU game. CBS will be the exclusive national TV outlet.
                  No, it does say that they cannot broadcast any conference games nationally, whether CBS Sports is airing the game or not. I verified this with UND's SID via Twitter when the deal was made.

Comment

No, it does say that they cannot broadcast any conference games nationally, whether CBS Sports is airing the game or not. I verified this with UND's SID via Twitter when the deal was made.
                    That isn't precisely correct. According to the Chris Peters blog at The United States of Hockey:

If these schools signed a deal giving away the right to televise ANY game unless CBS chooses it to be one of the handful they show, they would be giving away the entire store. While $$$ isn't much of an issue in these college hockey deals, the exposure certainly means something to each school. North Dakota would never agree to disappear entirely from the statewide airwaves they occupy for every single one of their home games in exchange for getting 3 or 4 games a year on a network that has far less presence in their market. They only will be precluded from showing the games that CBS shows. Just like when FOX shows the Cubs on Saturday, Comcast or WGN can't show it.

The league collectively would not be giving up the rights to show, literally, 100s of games in exchange for 20. Not unless there was a whole lot of money coming there way.
                    Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                      That isn't precisely correct. According to the Chris Peters blog at The United States of Hockey:

If these schools signed a deal giving away the right to televise ANY game unless CBS chooses it to be one of the handful they show, they would be giving away the entire store. While $$$ isn't much of an issue in these college hockey deals, the exposure certainly means something to each school. North Dakota would never agree to disappear entirely from the statewide airwaves they occupy for every single one of their home games in exchange for getting 3 or 4 games a year on a network that has far less presence in their market. They only will be precluded from showing the games that CBS shows. Just like when FOX shows the Cubs on Saturday, Comcast or WGN can't show it.

The league collectively would not be giving up the rights to show, literally, 100s of games in exchange for 20. Not unless there was a whole lot of money coming there way.
                      Chris's post says what I have been saying.

They can still show conference games regionally. Just not nationally. I think you need to go back and re-read the discussion.

For instance, I get every televised UND game here in Milwaukee right now. I won't next year. Just the ones on CBS Sports. That's what we're talking about. Fans outside of home regional markets.
                      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        the Big Ten plays BB on Tuesdays and Thurdays.
                        Ouch, so Monday and Wednesday night games...that's even worse.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

so, you are just making stuff up, and you do not have any idea what you are talking about.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            so, you are just making stuff up, and you do not have any idea what you are talking about.
                            Sounds like a sufficient summary of all your posts.

This is a great deal for UMD. This is the first time they will have a tv deal to broadcast their games outside of Northern Minnesota. Currently only home games are shown by local My9 in Duluth. Unless I pay for online coverage I cannot watch the games when I miss home games. It will be nice to know that I can watch more UMD games.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

“@AndyJohnsonB5Q: B1G hockey will play a few games on Sun/Mon/Thur next year. Some hate it, but it provides more exposure. ex.=last night & tonight's TV games”

Comment

“@AndyJohnsonB5Q: B1G hockey will play a few games on Sun/Mon/Thur next year. Some hate it, but it provides more exposure. ex.=last night & tonight's TV games”
                                I'm assuming that is only during football season?
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X