Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame at Minnesota 1-8-13

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    In many ways, Notre Dame played this game like I expected them to. The long layoff had as much to do with how they looked as anything. Well, that and Minnesota is clearly the best team in the NCAA right now. But last year there was no long layoff before the game at Mariucci. We crapped the bed in the worst way last year after beating you guys and right now the record is similar to last year. We'll see what happens the rest of the way, but I'm not counting my chickens as far as getting another crack at Minnesota just yet. We need to shake this one off and finish up the CCHA season like we've started it.

I got a kick out of the play-by-play guy. He counted down the time on PPs like it was a shot clock in basketball, and threw in the occasional baseball reference. It's actually nice to listen to a guy who does his homework though. He actually took the time to do the little things, like refer to the players as they refer to themselves and pronounce names correctly. Compared to our radio guy... well our radio guy doesn't quite compare.
    I like your squad and your coach even more. Part of the reason for my comment is that when the Gophers are playing at their best they will match-up with the best of teams defensively. The unknown is how will Wilcox fare as a F when the pressure is on, but this D group is as good as any they've had in several years. Because of that I could see Jackson adjusting and deciding that ND open it up and take chances. ND has talent at F and can skate, so it wouldn't be unheard of for them to employ such a gameplan should they meet again.

Comment

In many ways, Notre Dame played this game like I expected them to. The long layoff had as much to do with how they looked as anything.
      This "rust" excuse as the reason ND lost is comical. The Gophers had a 21 day layoff prior to the Mariucci Classic and proceeded to outscore Air Force and Boston College by a 12-1 goal differential. ND has a 24 day layoff and can't launch more than 1 shot (actually there were two, but one missed the net) from the inside the paint for three periods against a MN squad without their leading scorer. ND simply did not execute or is overrated or both. Alabama.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
        This "rust" excuse as the reason ND lost is comical. The Gophers had a 21 day layoff prior to the Mariucci Classic and proceeded to outscore Air Force and Boston College by a 12-1 goal differential. ND has a 24 day layoff and can't launch more than 1 shot (actually there were two, but one missed the net) from the inside the paint for three periods against a MN squad without their leading scorer. ND simply did not execute or is overrated or both. Alabama.
        HarleyMC, I normally agree with you, but not this time. ND had several GOLDEN opportunities to score, and I mean really GOLDEN, but barely missed. On this particular night, Minnesota was the better team, no doubt. They did enough, both offensively and defensively, to deserve the win. I just think you are being a little too smug, because if these two teams should meet again, the result could easily be different. And I say that as a HUGE Gopher fan and a long-time season ticket holder. Notre Dame is a **** good team, and I think they will be in the mix at the end of the season. As are/will our Gophers!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          HarleyMC, I normally agree with you, but not this time. ND had several GOLDEN opportunities to score, and I mean really GOLDEN, but barely missed.
          I wouldn't say "several" opportunities, but a few. So in other words, they simply didn't execute, nor did they put themselves in the paint to dramatically increase their chances of scoring. But of course this was all due to ND being rusty from a 3 week layoff, essentially my main point which you appear to have overlooked.

Comment

Notre Dame really knows how to possess the puck. They just didn't do much with it. Part if it was the Gopher defense clogging up the middle, part if it was probably a little rust.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              Alabama.
              I don't get it...

Oh wait, you must be talking about football. I didn't know that football mattered to anyone at Minnesota not actually getting a scholarship to be a loser playing it there.

P.S. Holy Cross.
              Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 01-10-2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                HarleyMC, I normally agree with you, but not this time. ND had several GOLDEN opportunities to score, and I mean really GOLDEN, but barely missed. On this particular night, Minnesota was the better team, no doubt. They did enough, both offensively and defensively, to deserve the win. I just think you are being a little too smug, because if these two teams should meet again, the result could easily be different. And I say that as a HUGE Gopher fan and a long-time season ticket holder. Notre Dame is a **** good team, and I think they will be in the mix at the end of the season. As are/will our Gophers!
                Its probably somewhere in the middle. They did have a couple great chances to score...but not many and MN did a good job in keeping them at bay.

Frank Mazzocco had some great statistics on the Gophers defensive game against ND which I don't recall. But it was something like ND had 2 or less quality shots in each of the periods...or something.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

I don't get it...

Oh wait, you must be talking about football. I didn't know that football mattered to anyone at Minnesota not actually getting a scholarship to be a loser playing it there.

P.S. Holy Cross.
                  Hate to say this, but I think he's got a point. But then again he had to ruin it with the Holy Cross comment. So does that ND mean North Dakota now? Wearing that HC jersey with pride? So now we've got an unrelated football comment vs. a game 6 years ago when the team was in the frozen 4 last year. Sounds like a wash to me.

Comment

I don't get it...

P.S. Holy Cross.
                    What's American Football?
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

God, you're stupid. I don't even know what that means. Your brain sends out a signal, you try to type, and ...

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
                        God, you're stupid. I don't even know what that means. Your brain sends out a signal, you try to type, and ...
                        Don't even try to understand, Golden Tuuk. Just accept the fact that Notre Dame is over-rated, not only in football and hockey, but also academics.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I don't get it...

Oh wait, you must be talking about football. I didn't know that football mattered to anyone at Minnesota not actually getting a scholarship to be a loser playing it there. P.S. Holy Cross.
                          University of Minnesota.

Comment

Good job by the Irish to pitch in while they were in town:

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1...-others-off-it

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Good job by the Irish to pitch in while they were in town:

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1...-others-off-it
                              Good for them. I'm guessing that's a little "payment in kind" for the U letting ND use Ridder for practice on Wednesday. ND didn't swing home after the game Tuesday, they practiced on the small sheet here, then straight up to East Lansing (presumably on Wednesday). Regardless of exactly why, nice to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X