Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & BU (Friday 12/4) & UNH (Saturday 12/5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & BU (Friday 12/4) & UNH (Saturday 12/5)

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    Both have been playing hurt all year.

I see a lot of people giving UNH zero credit. That's awful.
    Agreed RC. Both guys played against BU and the team played very well with them. Coach seemed to indicate that they sat for a combination of injury and motivational reasons. Fair enough as this was the last non-conf game and the bigger ice surface may have exposed them if their injuries are slowing them down.

I'm still in the needs convincing camp on Appert's game and special team coaching abilities. But even so, this weekend is no cause to start going out on a ledge. I have a hard time reconciling some of the commenters after this game (and after the OT loss) actually went to RPI based on their knee jerk reactions. Perhaps they forgot their knowledge and thoroughness when they left Troy or haven't gained it yet.

Comment

Highlights from the UNH and RPI game:

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        Agreed RC. Both guys played against BU and the team played very well with them. Coach seemed to indicate that they sat for a combination of injury and motivational reasons. Fair enough as this was the last non-conf game and the bigger ice surface may have exposed them if their injuries are slowing them down.

I'm still in the needs convincing camp on Appert's game and special team coaching abilities. But even so, this weekend is no cause to start going out on a ledge. I have a hard time reconciling some of the commenters after this game (and after the OT loss) actually went to RPI based on their knee jerk reactions. Perhaps they forgot their knowledge and thoroughness when they left Troy or haven't gained it yet.
        I have fully stated before I'm a UAlbany grad so all I know how to do is party and use tax payers money to build huge buildings on our campus.
        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
          Ok, fishcore12 talked this frustrated fan off the ledge last night. While the PP continues to be a huge problem, the UNH game was the fifth in 10 days. They played 4 games on the road against top teams. The best players are frosh and sophs, so they are still learning. A strong non-conference schedule is designed to get ready for the stretch run in the ECAC, so the next 14 games will be the real test. The truth is, none of us on this board is close enough to this team to know whether this group is going to come together down the stretch. We just need to wait and see. Waiting for 19 and 20 year olds to grow and develop into a successful team is frustrating and difficult for fans. It must be much more so for coaches.
          If at the end of the year we finish last or below .500, I will step back and watch everyone go off the ledge. As for now, just trying to keep things real.
          Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
            I see some of the talent but wonder as well if the "coaching staff" is good enough 2 bring out the best in them. Hands down we all seem 2 agree we have the talent but seriously do we have the coaching staff to bring it out of them? It seems in the last 6 or 7 years we do not....so I ask what do we need?
            Did you formulate this masterpiece while you were polishing off the miller lites I brought over to watch the game? You haven't been on the thread for too long but there is a rule against PWI (Posting While Intoxicated). DrD is the only one we allow to do that.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
              If at the end of the year we finish last or below .500, I will step back and watch everyone go off the ledge. As for now, just trying to keep things real.
              I agree with everything you have said. I believe SA beat #1 Yale, BU a couple of times (including that classic at HFH where Capt. Jack blew a top), Michigan when BP and JDA were here. Nobody, I repeat nobody is going to bring in the talent that SA brings in with the academic standards we have...bottom line.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Did you formulate this masterpiece while you were polishing off the miller lites I brought over to watch the game? You haven't been on the thread for too long but there is a rule against PWI (Posting While Intoxicated). DrD is the only one we allow to do that.
                I'm not sure i have posted much without being PWI. It certainly makes reality a bit easier to take.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  I'm not sure i have posted much without being PWI. It certainly makes reality a bit easier to take.
                  BTW- I meant to put a smiley face next to that comment. See you Sat. my friend.

Comment

I agree with everything you have said. I believe SA beat #1 Yale, BU a couple of times (including that classic at HFH where Capt. Jack blew a top), Michigan when BP and JDA were here. Nobody, I repeat nobody is going to bring in the talent that SA brings in with the academic standards we have...bottom line.
                    Agree 1000% with your last statement. But have to agree also with those posting who feel we need to address in game strategy and most importantly-special teams play. I would feel a whole lot better if i did not have keep taking deep breaths while we are a man up on the power play (or even two men up). We just seem so darn predictable all the time and other teams seem to make in game and between periods adaptations better than we do. I am never one to throw in the towel-haven't been in the 49-50 years of following RPI hockey-and i am firmly convinced we will be a better team for the rest of the season than we have shown thus far.

Comment

• Re: RPI & BU (Friday 12/4) & UNH (Saturday 12/5)

It's not only the academic standards since quite a few schools in the ECAC have higher standards. It's the choice of majors, the ratio, and the beauty that is Troy. (Yes it has been pointed out that most of the players already have girl friends and have little problem finding others.)
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        It's not only the academic standards since quite a few schools in the ECAC have higher standards. It's the choice of majors, the ratio, and the beauty that is Troy. (Yes it has been pointed out that most of the players already have girl friends and have little problem finding others.)
                        No matter where they are-hockey players always seem to get the best looking ladies.

Comment

UNH highlights left out empty net goal and bumper pool goal where a pass went off an RPI skate in the high slot and deflected in. First goal on a freshman d who got deked out of his shorts. Another goal by UNH d who came off the bench and was not picked up and buried a blind backhand pass. Little things. Lets face it Pirri and D'amigo would have put up 100 points this year easy and that makes a difference and covers a lot of mistakes. Can't replace two of your top five recruits that easily. Im willing to cut SA a little slack team has beaten ranked opponents this year but next year we better get top six in ECAC. Still not giving up on home ice this year.

Comment

I agree with everything you have said. I believe SA beat #1 Yale, BU a couple of times (including that classic at HFH where Capt. Jack blew a top), Michigan when BP and JDA were here. Nobody, I repeat nobody is going to bring in the talent that SA brings in with. the academic standards we have...bottom line.
                            Aspy - its been too long and I hope all is well and to see you again soon. I'll also agree with your last sentence here. I think that we have got great talent and have the ability to play with anyone. I didnt see the BU game and only caught the 1st period or so of the UNH game, but thought we played them straight up - and did that without several really strong kids not dressed. Maybe I'm not as fired up as last week, but still disappointed we lost against BU when leading in the 3rd and that the UNH game seemed to get away from us (I did see the 3rd goal which deflected of someone, but then turned back later and clear we just werent in the game at the end). I will go back to my theme from last week though - if we have the talent, then what is it about our system or style of play that stifles these kids ? I can tell for sure, but if its a system or being "over-coached", then stop doing that and simplify and let them play as thy know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
                              Aspy - its been too long and I hope all is well and to see you again soon. I'll also agree with your last sentence here. I think that we have got great talent and have the ability to play with anyone. I didnt see the BU game and only caught the 1st period or so of the UNH game, but thought we played them straight up - and did that without several really strong kids not dressed. Maybe I'm not as fired up as last week, but still disappointed we lost against BU when leading in the 3rd and that the UNH game seemed to get away from us (I did see the 3rd goal which deflected of someone, but then turned back later and clear we just werent in the game at the end). I will go back to my theme from last week though - if we have the talent, then what is it about our system or style of play that stifles these kids ? I can tell for sure, but if its a system or being "over-coached", then stop doing that and simplify and let them play as thy know how.
                              Thanks, my best to you and yours. Your son is starting to become a legend at chuck a puck. Most likely wants to win to collect $$$$ from Sachi. No doubt that I am a kool aid drinker for our great coach because I admire him greatly and the way he runs a clean, competitve program. I have no issues with people bringing up special teams, things are so close in CH that you have to score on the PP to win. DrD is absolutely right. I just think were light years ahead of where we were and all though last year was a crap show, SA salvaged a playoff series win ( and denied Mike cleary cup). When peopele tout names like Monty there wrong because Monty is not coming here...he is headed to Maine or something bigger, so IMHO let's stay with the program because to me 98% of coaching college sports is recruiting and SA has that down cold. BTW- your post about the co-ed shower stuff in Germany was a classic, epic post. Hope to see at HFH soon.

Comment

I just think were light years ahead of where we were and all though last year was a crap show.
                                I agree with you as far as the resources that have been pumped into the program. As far as wins and losses, you would have a hard time convincing me on that......not even comparable!!!! Must be the kool aid.
                                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X