No announcement yet.

NMU @ SCSU: Remember last time... when you guys... in the NCAAs.... :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU @ SCSU: Remember last time... when you guys... in the NCAAs....

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    As a fan I give ****, and I expect it back. If the other team breaks out a boom box and dances to Kool and the Gang's "Celebration" they're perfectly in their right, especially after hearing it all weekend from our student section.
    There is a long and colorful history of players, who have been ridiculed or teased by opposing fans, throwing a little back in the fan's faces after coming out on top. Whether it was the Phil Kessel "ear cup" in Madison, Danny Irmen's "jersey pop" in Grand Forks, the one finger salute in the National semi's by the Michigan player to the UND fan or probably hundreds of others, it's just a part of the game. As a fan all you can do is acknowledge that your taunts were obviously heard, and at least for today you have to sit there and take it as the player gives it back to you.

I remember back in the early '80's we UND fans had gotten so far under the skin of Wisconsin goalie Terry Kleisinger that at one point during warmups he intentionally deflected 16 straight pucks over the glass and into the UND student section. They dang near ran out of pucks to finish their warmups that night.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

All this isn't limited to just players or student section shenanigans. In 2005, UNO played a home series with now defunct D-1 program Wayne State. Before they took the ice, this video clip (at something approaching max volume) was played on the video board at what was then the Qwest Center:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRM2YcGpmxg

I heard, vicariously, that this upset Warriors Head coach Bill Wilkinson mightily and it wasn't repeated the following night when we played them again.

That said, I found it hilarious and clever, both.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        All this isn't limited to just players or student section shenanigans. In 2005, UNO played a home series with now defunct D-1 program Wayne State. Before they took the ice, this video clip (at something approaching max volume) was played on the video board at what was then the Qwest Center:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRM2YcGpmxg
        That is perfectly acceptable to FTLT because it's the home team fans/staff doing the taunting.

Now had Wayne State, as the visitors, paraded around boxes of Omaha steaks if they had happened to win, that would be classless.

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          You don't, why should we?
          Found Motzko's replacement yet?
          I will try to find one because clearly Motzko isn't working out..

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Now had Wayne State, as the visitors, paraded around boxes of Omaha steaks if they had happened to win, that would be classless.

Without question, I would have had to have laughed at that. In fact, that's hilarious. I appreciate good humor, even if it was/is directed my way.

I have felt badly about this sort of thing, once, and it was this season of all things although I most assuredly did not participate. In fact, I was ashamed for our fans. In our sweep earlier in the season of UMD here at home, during the 3rd period of the Sunday afternoon game, the UNO fans took up a "Gop-her re-jects" chant. Besides being ridiculous, this is a team that won the national title just a season ago and I just felt badly for them. I've gone to games in Duluth and have just been treated superbly there by Bulldog fans, no exaggeration, and for us, a program with little success or legacy, to be dissing a storied program like UMD was utterly absurd. I really was embarrassed.

Comment

The last Minnesota-SCSU game I was at, Husky fans chanted "Husky Rejects" at the Gopher players...made me laugh. Then the Gophers won...and I laughed more. It was a very good game though. Most intense I've been to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawson_lunatic27 View Post
                SCSU cant wait to get into this discussion with you after your first game at Lawson!
                What and where is Lawson? I don't have the slightest idea of who you are.
                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                  What and where is Lawson? I don't have the slightest idea of who you are.
                  Western plays at Lawson arena...

As a student, I loved it when opposing players taunted us back (especially MTU's Jon Pittis "shushing" us as he cut our lead to 11-2). You don't want them taunting your students and fans? Win.

(and yes, I know fans don't have a direct effect on the game)
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                    Without question, I would have had to have laughed at that. In fact, that's hilarious. I appreciate good humor, even if it was/is directed my way.

I have felt badly about this sort of thing, once, and it was this season of all things although I most assuredly did not participate. In fact, I was ashamed for our fans. In our sweep earlier in the season of UMD here at home, during the 3rd period of the Sunday afternoon game, the UNO fans took up a "Gop-her re-jects" chant. Besides being ridiculous, this is a team that won the national title just a season ago and I just felt badly for them. I've gone to games in Duluth and have just been treated superbly there by Bulldog fans, no exaggeration, and for us, a program with little success or legacy, to be dissing a storied program like UMD was utterly absurd. I really was embarrassed.
                    Meh. We get that a lot so its not that big of a deal. It just makes it a littler more sweater that the "Gopher Rejects" swept somebody.

Plus it makes for hilarity when you chant Bulldog Rejects
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                    X