Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    One thing we've certainly needed is role players. We have that in Wood and DeVito. Melanson seems to have some difficulty with moving up in the ranks (at least in terms of solid numbers), he may take a year or two, similar to Laliberté. It would not surprise me to see Bourbonnais have a critical scoring role similar to someone like McGowan or O'Grady (minus the man made of glass, hopefully).
    Just some random thoughts.

    I wouldn't compare JL and Melanson. In think that JL's problem was that he stagnated in the CJHL while Melanson will benefit from this season, but his problem will be that he will be a true freshman and thus relatively young. I agree that Wood and DeVito will be role players, while Bourbonnais will be counted on sooner. Then again, he seems to only now be fitting in with Lincoln. The USHL is such that it is very hard to predict how a player will do in college. Look at Miller for example.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM. Reason: speeling
    sigpic

    Let's Go 'Tute!

    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

    2012 Poser Of The Year

    Comment


    • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

      Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Melanson seems to have some difficulty with moving up in the ranks (at least in terms of solid numbers), he may take a year or two, similar to Laliberté.
      Where are you getting this from?
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

      Comment


      • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

        Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        Where are you getting this from?
        Look at last year's numbers. Look at this year's numbers. Look at trend lines.

        Comment


        • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

          Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          One thing we've certainly needed is role players. We have that in Wood and DeVito. Melanson seems to have some difficulty with moving up in the ranks (at least in terms of solid numbers), he may take a year or two, similar to Laliberté. It would not surprise me to see Bourbonnais have a critical scoring role similar to someone like McGowan or O'Grady (minus the man made of glass, hopefully).
          Moving up to the USHL is an adjustment for any player. As Ralph stated, Melanson will be a true freshman next fall...young Had JL gone to the BC or USHL, it could be argued that his adjustment period at the D1 level mightve been shorter. Not to mention the off-ice growth and maturity that comes with living away from home...billet families, new schools, etc...all things Melanson, Bourbonnais and Co. are learning by playing away from home.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

          Comment


          • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

            from following Jake Wodd for 3 seasons now I would be shocked if next year he is simply, "a role player like Devito", and that is by no means a dig at JD (who will be next years Mark Miller).
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

            Comment


            • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

              Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              from following Jake Wodd for 3 seasons now I would be shocked if next year he is simply, "a role player like Devito", and that is by no means a dig at JD (who will be next years Mark Miller).
              You don't think Miller's a role player?

              Comment


              • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                You don't think Miller's a role player?
                in the classic sense, no I don't.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

                Comment


                • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                  Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  Moving up to the USHL is an adjustment for any player. As Ralph stated, Melanson will be a true freshman next fall...young Had JL gone to the BC or USHL, it could be argued that his adjustment period at the D1 level mightve been shorter. Not to mention the off-ice growth and maturity that comes with living away from home...billet families, new schools, etc...all things Melanson, Bourbonnais and Co. are learning by playing away from home.
                  all important points. Melanson and Laliberte are 2 entirely diferent types on the ice. JL is only now starting to show his talent level. it is not just scoring-he does a lot of different things from face offs to incredible passes diagonally down towards the net. I am sure we have not yet scratched the surface in seeing what he can add to this team. Melanson is very young-it will take some time-but speed just does so much for you. Perhaps he will be putting opponents back on their heels, defensemen having to retreat from the blue line in the offensive zone and guarding against someone who can just skate right by them. I see this team next year certainly no worse than what we are beginning to see now. In fact, I think it is going to be tough for anyone to break into this line up barring injuries. it has taken a long time and it has been a bumpy road-but SA is starting to get his team where it needs to be-a tough, physical, fast, smart team with incredible goaltending and big strong defensemen. We haven't won anything yet-but how can anyone look at what is happening and not see that we are going to be a very good team next year?
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                  Comment


                  • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                    Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    in the classic sense, no I don't.
                    Agreed. Every player is in some sense a role player -- even Gretzky, Howe, and Orr.
                    sigpic

                    Let's Go 'Tute!

                    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                    2012 Poser Of The Year

                    Comment


                    • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                      Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      all important points. Melanson and Laliberte are 2 entirely diferent types on the ice. JL is only now starting to show his talent level. it is not just scoring-he does a lot of different things from face offs to incredible passes diagonally down towards the net. I am sure we have not yet scratched the surface in seeing what he can add to this team. Melanson is very young-it will take some time-but speed just does so much for you. Perhaps he will be putting opponents back on their heels, defensemen having to retreat from the blue line in the offensive zone and guarding against someone who can just skate right by them. I see this team next year certainly no worse than what we are beginning to see now. In fact, I think it is going to be tough for anyone to break into this line up barring injuries. it has taken a long time and it has been a bumpy road-but SA is starting to get his team where it needs to be-a tough, physical, fast, smart team with incredible goaltending and big strong defensemen. We haven't won anything yet-but how can anyone look at what is happening and not see that we are going to be a very good team next year?
                      Hopefully, when he puts opponents on their heels, it isn't Askewish.
                      sigpic

                      Let's Go 'Tute!

                      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                      2012 Poser Of The Year

                      Comment


                      • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                        Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Look at last year's numbers. Look at this year's numbers. Look at trend lines.
                        Look at a small sample size.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

                        Comment


                        • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                          Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                          Look at a small sample size.
                          I knew someone who often fit two points with a straight line in extrapolated many times the horizontal distance between the two points.
                          sigpic

                          Let's Go 'Tute!

                          Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                          2012 Poser Of The Year

                          Comment


                          • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                            .... the USHL is coming to NY. Teams (unannounced ATT) will be playing some pre-season games @ the Ferraro Brothers Ice Center in East Meadow, NY in Sept. http://www.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=1603
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

                            Comment


                            • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                              Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              .... the USHL is coming to NY. Teams (unannounced ATT) will be playing some pre-season games @ the Ferraro Brothers Ice Center in East Meadow, NY in Sept. http://www.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=1603
                              That's interesting. I doubt that they are planning to expand there. It's probably just due to the Ferraros.
                              sigpic

                              Let's Go 'Tute!

                              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                              2012 Poser Of The Year

                              Comment


                              • Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

                                Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Hopefully, when he puts opponents on their heels, it isn't Askewish.
                                My hope also. The times we saw him play though he was always under control-even at what seemed like top speed.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X