Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Purple Mavericks vs. Red Mavericks 12/14-15 in Omaha

Originally posted by MAVSFAN4EVER View Post
    They probably didn't have the BSU and DU final. Great road win anyway!
    Yes it went final right after we went to break.

MSU

Margonari-Leitner-Lehrke
    Knowles-Lafontaine-Hayes
    Grant-Blueger-McInnis
    Gervais-Zuck-Gaede

Elbrecht-Nelson
    Palmquist-Buchanan
    Stern-Jutzi

Williams

UNO

Lane-Montpetit-White
    Walters-Zombo-Archibald
    Gwidt-Searfoss-Raubenheimer
    Adams

Megna-Sustr
    Seeler-Aneloski
    Turgeon-Young
    Cooper-O'Rourke

Stolarz
    University of Wisconsin - River Falls Men's and Women's Hockey Broadcaster 2007-2012
    University of Nebraska at Omaha Intermission/Post Game Host and Statistician 2012-2014
    https://twitter.com/SilversSports

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
      That's a backhanded way of degrading the opponent. "Yeah, we lost, but we REALLY played bad!" Translation: "You guys would have lost if we had just played an average game."
      you read my mind. And lets not forget Mike Hastings was successful as a head coach in the USHL and even if Kato looked shaky he is getting the results our new assistant coach rarely got.
      UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Looked a bit sloppy again tonight but the Red team wins. Looks like Montpetit got hurt in the 2nd period, hope it's not bad considering out lack of centers.

Comment

Forget the game for a minute.

What happened after the game was one of the more heartwarming things I have ever seen at a hockey game.

While the players were shaking hands, both coaching staffs, in their entirety, had a huge group hug between the benches out on the ice which was followed by each opposing team coaching staff member hugging every member of the other staff, individually. as well. These weren't guy hugs, either. Most were like long embraces, almost a "I hope they're secure in their manhood" kind of a thing.

If that wasn't enough, every member of the Mankato team went over to our bench area and Coach Jutting hugged or shook hands with every player. While that was going on, all the UNO players were over on the Mankato bench and did the same thing with Coach Hastings. Same kind of a scene as between the coaching staffs.

It was also very clear from watching all this that a lot of very nice things got said during all these interactions. This whole thing was far removed from the "going-through-the-motions, obligatory-post-game-handshake-thing" we are all used to seeing. I've never seen an outpouring like this between opposing team coaching staffs and the players on both teams. This was quite a lengthy process, too

It was actually pretty touching. I almost expected what was left of the crowd to start singing "Kumbaya" or something. It was definitely a "you had to be there" kind of few minutes and I am hoping maybe somebody videoed this so it could be posted here.

I had hung around because I had bet on the 3 stars with the guy sitting next to me and those weren't announced until after all this had transpired.

The lovefest was followed by the awarding of the "Spirit of the Mavericks" traveling trophy to UNO (won on goal differential), which we are apparently going to have for awhile since we are not playing MS-M next season, which, by the way, I am not happy about. This is the only uninterrupted series in school history for us, with us playing the purple Mavs every year of our program's existence. I'd sure like to know what rationale played a roll in putting an end to that. Stupid. We are a school with little hockey tradition, being only a 15 year old program and I, for one, don't like being robbed of one of those few things that we do have.
          Last edited by Red Cows; 12-15-2012, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            ...since we are not playing MS-M next season, which, by the way, I am not happy about. This is the only uninterrupted series in school history for us, with us playing the purple Mavs every year of our program's existence. I'd sure like to know what rationale played a roll in putting an end to that. Stupid. We are a school with little hockey tradition, being only a 15 year old program and I, for one, don't like being robbed of one of those few things that we do have.
            I haven't seen any schedule for next season. The MSU radio guys said that they expect the Mavs and Mavs to play each other next season, just like always.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
              I haven't seen any schedule for next season. The MSU radio guys said that they expect the Mavs and Mavs to play each other next season, just like always.
              Right from your own newspaper:

"However, Omaha is not on MSU’s schedule next year."

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...ockey-Game-Day

On the way home last night, on the post game show on the radio here, Terry Leahy, who is the Mavs color guy, said the same thing, that we are not playing next season.

Hope the naysayers have it wrong.
              Last edited by Red Cows; 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                Right from your own newspaper:

"However, Omaha is not on MSU’s schedule next year."

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...ockey-Game-Day

On the way home last night, on the post game show on the radio here, Terry Leahy, who is the Mavs color guy, said the same thing, that we are not playing next season.

Hope the naysayers have it wrong.
                Well, that sucks. I didn't even know that next year's schedule was done.
                My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Weird part about that being said on the Minnesota State broadcast is that the color analyst is our Sports Information Director, Paul Allan.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    Weird part about that being said on the Minnesota State broadcast is that the color analyst is our Sports Information Director, Paul Allan.
                    Did I hear it wrong? Didn't they say that they would play next year?

Comment

If they don't play next year, it's likely because of scheduling agreements for non-conference series already being made. When UNO left us in the dust (yes, I needed to get one last bitter statement in), everything changed. We knew that our schools would be playing each other when we were in the same conference, so other agreements were made to fill our schedules. When the conference changed, a new agreement is needed to be made. If either UNO or MSU had a full schedule, they weren't going to be able to play. For MSU, I know priority #1 was to get the relationship squared away with Minnesota. After that, we have some obligations to other non-conference opponents. If we dont' play next year, it's likely because the scheduling agreements weren't going to match up with how many non-conference games were available. MN/UND ran into the same issue. They are going to have to let current contracts run out before they can schedule each other again. I suspect it's the same thing with MSU/UNO if they don't play.
                      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

It's going to be a problem to schedule UNO for years to come. MSU now has 3 non-conference D1 opponents right in the state of Minnesota. Trying to schedule them will likely take precedence over other schools/traditions.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          It's going to be a problem to schedule UNO for years to come. MSU now has 3 non-conference D1 opponents right in the state of Minnesota. Trying to schedule them will likely take precedence over other schools/traditions.
                          This will not be a problem. The (yet to be named) tournament will take up 2 games. Possible 2 more with team that is out of the tournament every 5 years, leaves at least 4 games to be scheduled against other opponents, depending on how many conference games will be scheduled. Currently, we have 8 non conference games each year.

I think Bale hit the issue on the head. Scheduling was done before the Big and Nacho conferences happened.

Comment

I'd like to qualify what UNO color man Terry Leahy said on the Saturday night post game show that I alluded to earlier.

He said we weren't playing, and I quote, "because of scheduling uncertainties related to conference realignment". He did say it in such a way that perhaps that isn't an insurmountable obstacle. Because both teams are changing conferences, and the entire makeup of the "new" WCHA is still uncertain (UAH, where are you?), I can certainly understand why this is so.

My bet is if both programs can make it happen, somehow, they will. It's a no-brainer, really, unless other scheduling obligations get in the way, somehow.

Side note, UNO's play-by-play man, Terry Leahy's sidekick in the radio booth, is Dave Ahlers, who is also the Sports Information Director (they really have some other goofy name for it) at UNO.
                            Last edited by Red Cows; 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                              This will not be a problem. The (yet to be named) tournament will take up 2 games. Possible 2 more with team that is out of the tournament every 5 years, leaves at least 4 games to be scheduled against other opponents, depending on how many conference games will be scheduled. Currently, we have 8 non conference games each year.

I think Bale hit the issue on the head. Scheduling was done before the Big and Nacho conferences happened.
                              What PIN was referring to is two games will be set aside for either MN or the tournament. But then MSU-M may be looking to schedule SCSU and UMD, not to mention maybe even UND as well. Obviously the first few years when they've already got obligations set may make it near impossible to schedule UNO (maybe even some of the MN schools) and then the other thing is have we heard that the WCHA will for sure stay at 28 conference games?
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                              X