Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan at Western Michigan: Battle of the Compass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern Michigan at Western Michigan: Battle of the Compass...

NMU has hung in there after 1 period... but NMU IS getting smashed on shots on goal. Hopefully they pick up the pace here in the 2nd and 3rd. WMUs defense is shutting NMU down.
    Go Cats!

Comment

Absolute stupidity with the penalties. NMU is struggling... they go on the PK and then they cause a very stupid penalty to make it 5 - 3. Stupid.
      Go Cats!

Comment

Another too many men on the ice penalty? You gotta be kidding me. Walt is going to tear the locker room apart after this game.
        Go Cats!

Comment

Well... you cant win a game with only 4 shots on goal a period. Actually, in this case, they could have. A mistake by the goalie on a PP and stupid penalties cost NMU the win. It is amazing that they had 2 goals with so few SOG. Walt needs to end the suspension ASAP. The Cats offense is on life support right now.
          Go Cats!

Comment

4-2 final. 39-12 shots on goal. Guess which team had 12.

I've never been a believer of more shots automatically means more goals. I'll take quality scoring chances over 50 random shots any day. But 12 shots over 60 minutes is embarrassing. Unfortunately this isn't the first road game that shots on goal for NMU is abysmal. It seems to happen far too often. Looking at the rest of college hockey, no one else seems to have this offensive difficulty on the road. Do they have a different approach to offense when on the road? I know you have to pay extra attention to defensive assignments in a hostile environment but holy smokes.

Comment

Not even out of the 1st and again with the penalties... stupid, stupid penalties. Way to go Ludwig. They have one of the worst PK in the country and their offense struggles to put up SOG. *face palm*
              Go Cats!

Comment

I have to give it to the goalie though. He has been doing a great job. He vast majority of the game is being spent in front of his net.
                Go Cats!

Comment

NMU did much better in the last two periods and were perfect on the PK all night. If I were a WMU fan I would be wondering why, with so many SOG, they could only pull off one goal. Anyhow... I am hopeful that NMU does not have a weekend like this for a long time. Kudos to the goalie for keeping it close.
                  Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
                    NMU did much better in the last two periods and were perfect on the PK all night. If I were a WMU fan I would be wondering why, with so many SOG, they could only pull off one goal. Anyhow... I am hopeful that NMU does not have a weekend like this for a long time. Kudos to the goalie for keeping it close.
                    We don't have to wonder. We have one good to great line and 3 lines of okay to decent.

We lack elite forwards and if you shut down the Balisy-Berschbach-Walters line, we won't score more than 1 goal.

Thankfully, most nights, our Defense is outstanding
                    Last edited by broncos24; 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM.
                    Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                    Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

I was at the game tonight and we really didn't turn it on offensively until the 3rd. At one point, still in the 2nd, it was 20+ sog for WMU and 2 for NMU (and we didn't have many chances either)--then the 'Cats turned it around.

NMU is strong defensively--as tough as Western for sure. We just seemed to have a difficult time controlling the puck in our offensive zone--credit the WMU D of course. The 3rd period was in my end and NMU created some chances, but couldn't bury it--Slubowski was solid.

I'm usually not one to call out the refs, but tonight they seemed like homers. Then they had make-up calls against WMU near the mid-point of the 2nd. The calls on Follmer and Seckel in the 3rd seemed bogus to me.

The Ludwig call early in the game seemed overboard to me. It was a fierce open-ice check to a player with the puck and maybe during the progression of the check his arm or elbow went to the head--I was there live so I haven't seen the hit more than that one time. If anything I would have said a 2 minute for elbowing. It was an aggressive check to stop a breakaway. The guys I was with all thought it wasn't worth a 5 and a game misconduct. Whoever the WMU player was that took the check got right back up, I'm pretty sure. I'd like to hear what anyone else thought.

But penalties didn't really disrupt the game too much. Neither team could manufacture many scoring chances and the defenses for both teams were stifling.

Where is our offense--it didn't really show up until the 3rd?
                      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                        I was at the game tonight and we really didn't turn it on offensively until the 3rd. At one point, still in the 2nd, it was 20+ sog for WMU and 2 for NMU (and we didn't have many chances either)--then the 'Cats turned it around.

NMU is strong defensively--as tough as Western for sure. We just seemed to have a difficult time controlling the puck in our offensive zone--credit the WMU D of course. The 3rd period was in my end and NMU created some chances, but couldn't bury it--Slubowski was solid.

I'm usually not one to call out the refs, but tonight they seemed like homers. Then they had make-up calls against WMU near the mid-point of the 2nd. The calls on Follmer and Seckel in the 3rd seemed bogus to me.

The Ludwig call early in the game seemed overboard to me. It was a fierce open-ice check to a player with the puck and maybe during the progression of the check his arm or elbow went to the head--I was there live so I haven't seen the hit more than that one time. If anything I would have said a 2 minute for elbowing. It was an aggressive check to stop a breakaway. The guys I was with all thought it wasn't worth a 5 and a game misconduct. Whoever the WMU player was that took the check got right back up, I'm pretty sure. I'd like to hear what anyone else thought.

But penalties didn't really disrupt the game too much. Neither team could manufacture many scoring chances and the defenses for both teams were stifling.

I over reacted when the 5:00 penalty was called. I agree it also should have just been a 2:00. I think the Refs were just being ****** bags since.... OMG... the players helmet came off. CCHA refs suck. They have always been criticized by other leagues and we know why.
                        Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post

When it happened, I thought the 5 minute major, in fact any call, was BS. Thought it was just a good hard, CLEAN hit. But after talking with coaches and others who reviewed it on video, the call was legit.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                          X