Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I think the ZERO regular season titles tells the story too. In that amount of time he should have bagged a couple at minimum. The fact of the matter is generally we're hoping just to eek into the ncaa tourney, let alone fighting tooth and nail to win the reg season title. How many times in Eaves' tenure has UW been a lock to get in the ncaa's (not counting the autobid)....3? (2006, 2010, 2014).

We can't forget Blasi as a short list candidate.
    To be fair, we've never won as many RS titles as one would think.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
      All NCAA appearances are equal, ask the back-door Badgers about that.

I actually agree with this.

Not all seasons that lead to a berth are equal though and placing yourself in that position of being on the bubble just as often leads to the other alternative - just missing out.

Other than Parker - all of the other coaches on that list were over .600 and it can be correlated to lead to more NCAA berths.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        I actually agree with this.

Not all seasons that lead to a berth are equal though and placing yourself in that position of being on the bubble just as often leads to the other alternative - just missing out.

Other than Parker - all of the other coaches on that list were over .600 and it can be correlated to lead to more NCAA berths.
        The bold is what I understood it to mean when I brought it up again.

The .600 does correlate to more berths but that's not all there is to it. For example Umile has had four 20 win teams and one 18 win team go in.

I think you could argue that UND's 10 berths and 6 FF's, and BC's 11 Berths 7 FF (and 3 titles) are greater than Berenson's 10 berths, 3 FF, Blasi's 9 and 2 FF and Umile's 10 and 1 FF. Those results would indicate that they aren't all equal and that UND and BC have consistently had better teams than the two CCHA teams plus UNH. (6 and 7 FF's vs. 3, 2, and 1.)

Obviously once you're in though, anyone can win.

Edit: Not sure what I said at the beginning here makes sense, but I strongly suspect if Eaves had Umile's record, plenty of fans would still be calling for his head.
        Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 01-06-2015, 06:28 PM.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton
          Edit: Not sure what I said at the beginning here makes sense, but I strongly suspect if Eaves had Umile's record, plenty of fans would still be calling for his head.
          And surely you would still be defending him.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            The .600 does correlate to more berths but that's not all there is to it. For example Umile has had four 20 win teams and one 18 win team get in.

Not sure what I said at the beginning here makes sense, but I strongly suspect if Eaves had Umile's record, plenty of fans would still be calling for his head.
            If Eaves had three more NCAA bids, meaning that the lowers were not quite as low (even if it was just one win better) the seat might not be as hot. That wouldn't change the style of play, the offensive struggles, and the poor OT record. All that added to a 2-12-1 start to this season and one-and-done last season which was supposed to be "THE season" and any coach would be feeling heat.

If anything, the argument that all NCAA bids are equal just goes to show how Eaves does not get the NCAA game. You don't have a 7 game series, you have ONE game to get things done. Because of the cycles, Eaves has lost the chance to go on an unsuspected run in the NCAA. You can't win the national title if you don't make the darn tournament first.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              Fwiw, Wisconsin didn't need the as auto bid to make the NCAA's two years ago. They needed to win 3 games, which they did, too get their PWR in the field. It just so happens that winning the three games also gave them an auto bid.
              However, if they had lost the championship game, they would only have had the 2 wins, and would NOT have had the PWR to make the tourny - so they really did need to win the conf tourney to get in.

The # of NCAA appearances have not been enough. If you're only going to make the tournament 1 out of 4 years, you'd better win it all that year.

Comment

This thread is such a tease.

Every time I see it back at the top of the forum, I think that maybe it's finally happened. But it hasn't.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I wonder if #2 BU got this much sympathy last year when they had a 20 game stretch with only 2 wins?

The firing Eaves factoid of the day is since he took over only 3 other teams in college hockey have as many title game appearances:

BC in 06, 07, winning in '08, '09, 12; DU winning in '03 & '04; Minnesota in '14, winning in '03.

The other teams to appear are:

UNH (L)
                  Maine (L)
                  UND (L)
                  MI ST (W)
                  Notre Dame (L)
                  Miami (L)
                  UMD (W)
                  MI (L)
                  Ferris St. (L)
                  Yale (W)
                  Quinnipiac (L)
                  Union (W)
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    This thread is such a tease.

Every time I see it back at the top of the forum, I think that maybe it's finally happened. But it hasn't.
                    IF it was to happen, it would be after the season. There's no way he gets axed mid-season.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      I wonder if #2 BU got this much sympathy last year when they had a 20 game stretch with only 2 wins?

The firing Eaves factoid of the day is since he took over only 3 other teams in college hockey have as many title game appearances:

BC in 06, 07, winning in '08, '09, 12; DU winning in '03 & '04; Minnesota in '14, winning in '03.

The other teams to appear are:

UNH (L)
                      Maine (L)
                      UND (L)
                      MI ST (W)
                      Notre Dame (L)
                      Miami (L)
                      UMD (W)
                      MI (L)
                      Ferris St. (L)
                      Yale (W)
                      Quinnipiac (L)
                      Union (W)
                      What is his record the last five season? That probably means more than two title game appearances. I have no idea what it is, but that is where you start in my opinion. Should look season by season too so you see the whole picture. Has assistant coaches left that recruited well and he hasn't found good replacements? That plays into it as well.
                      Last edited by scsutommyboy; 01-07-2015, 12:47 PM.
                      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                        What is his record the last five season? That probably means more than two title game appearances. I have no idea what it is, but that is where you start in my opinion. Should look season by season too so you see the whole picture. Has assistant coaches left that recruited well and he hasn't found good replacements? That plays into it as well.
                        Cross-posted from the WI season thread:

There was some discussion about our 1st halves under Eaves, so I put together the following table. NCAA appearances are noted by the season years being in bold in the 1st column. When either half of the season was under .500, those cells are highlighted yellow. I considered the first half to run through the ol' Badger Hockey showdown when applicable. Unsurprisingly, there were no NCAA appearances when they were under .500 in the first half with the exception of 2012-13 when they got the autobid.

Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                        Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                        sigpic
                        Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                        1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                          Charts are so handy!

In the previous 5 seasons Eaves is 112-69-19 for .608 win%.

Funny you bring up assistants because the guy that left in '13, Bill Butters, was a disaster, so while opinions are mixed on the current assistants, I don't know that anyone would say it's not a big improvement from then.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            Charts are so handy!

In the previous 5 seasons Eaves is 112-69-19 for .608 win%.

Funny you bring up assistants because the guy that left in '13, Bill Butters, was a disaster, so while opinions are mixed on the current assistants, I don't know that anyone would say it's not a big improvement from then.
                            Nice try Wisko. When looking at 5 years that gives you 2 of the patented Eaves "up" years of senior laden teams - 2010 and last year. Use a 4 year cycle to compare win % for Eaves. And since we are on a new 4 year cycle and this year being a disaster, I can pretty much guarantee if he is around for the next 3 years of the cycle the win % will be less than the 2010 - 2014 cycle.

Also, who hired Bill Butters again? Who's responsibility is that?

Who has hired the current two assistants that had zero, zip, nada college coaching experience, prior to Wisconsin?
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                              However, if they had lost the championship game, they would only have had the 2 wins, and would NOT have had the PWR to make the tourny - so they really did need to win the conf tourney to get in.
                              Isn't that what I said?

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                                He's saying they needed to win the game, not the title. It is worth noting, it means they did not qualify because of the title, but because of the victory. That is different. It wasn't like they finished 17th or lower in the PWR and still got in because of the tournament title.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X