Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    Assuming that season tickets are down by 50% since 2007 report is correct and attendance has fallen off a cliff in the past two seasons, I'd say that many, many people have already spoken about what they think of the current on-ice product.

If they don't remove Eaves after this season, they may as well just have the men play at LaBahn starting next season because things are not going to get better attendance wise, fans have become far to jaded of the wild swings between ups and downs.
    You may be (usually are) completely right, but I don't see 3-4k or more former ticket holders saying if they fire Eaves they will buy tickets next year either. So it's a little bit more you are where you are right now and you're looking at what presumably is your core fan base that have kept tickets, and how to build from here.

From the AD's point of view it's probably all on whether or not you believe in whatever Eaves plans are to build another contender, and to contend more consistently in the future. Obviously 2007 was the peak following the NC, so we believe winning cures all. Whatever Eaves says privately as to what that plan is, is something we're not really privy to, so it's hard for me to judge how believable it is in the eyes of the AD.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Assuming that season tickets are down by 50% since 2007 report is correct and attendance has fallen off a cliff in the past two seasons, I'd say that many, many people have already spoken about what they think of the current on-ice product.
      Just one other observation: Season tix sales maybe down 50% but paid attendance is down somewhere between 20-25% from it's peak. I assume season tix sales are driven partly by the desire to secure good seats. There's a tipping point somewhere between what paid attendance is now (about 10k?) and what it was then (13k+) where you can't just buy seats to games you want to see and you purchase season tix to secure those good seats. If that makes sense. On-ice product drives demand for seats, and demand for seats in part drives season ticket sales is I guess what I'm getting at.
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

If BA fires Eaves mid season, will BA take over as coach?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
          That is funny
          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
            That is funny
            Only if the players ask him nicely and he has a chance to take a nap to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              BA doesn't coach regular season games. My bet would be he fires Eaves if they make it to the B1G championship game and then takes over.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                You may be (usually are) completely right, but I don't see 3-4k or more former ticket holders saying if they fire Eaves they will buy tickets next year either. So it's a little bit more you are where you are right now and you're looking at what presumably is your core fan base that have kept tickets, and how to build from here.

From the AD's point of view it's probably all on whether or not you believe in whatever Eaves plans are to build another contender, and to contend more consistently in the future. Obviously 2007 was the peak following the NC, so we believe winning cures all. Whatever Eaves says privately as to what that plan is, is something we're not really privy to, so it's hard for me to judge how believable it is in the eyes of the AD.
                My point is that if enough of your fan base is disaffected by the current situation I don't seen anything that Eaves can do that will re-energize the fan base short of four consecutive frozen fours. Even that would result in people asking when the inevitable downturn will happen.

Attendance doesn't fall by 1/3 overnight and it goes up much, much slower. It takes much more to regain a ticket holder than to retain one.
                Last edited by Almington; 01-03-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  BA doesn't coach regular season games. My bet would be he fires Eaves if they make it to the B1G championship game and then takes over.
                  Hahaha, good call. Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

I'm going to say that this specific part is frustration talking. It's one thing to do that sort of thing at a pro venue but it's completely different and IMO inappropriate at a college game. That sort of action doesn't differentiate between any support for the amateur student athletes on the ice and non-support for the professional coaching staff. It might grab attention, but the sort of attention it would get from me is that I'd rather a Badger fan that would take that sort of action just not be at the game.
                    I'm not the sort of fan that would boo his own team or wear a bag, so I agree with you sorta.

That said, I'm not sure this group of student athletes deserves the respect that you would afford them. From a source that's in the locker room (quite high up on the totem pole, btw), it sounds like a spoiled and me-first group.

As far as Walby, my boy has been coached by both Walbys, and as much as I like them, Steffon is the better coach and even he wouldn't get my vote for this job.

The mullet is sweet though and is probably a big hit in the iron range.

Comment

My point is that if enough of your fan base is disaffected by the current situation I don't seen anything that Eaves can do that will re-energize the fan base short of four consecutive frozen fours.
                      Very legitimate and I see what you mean. I'm somewhat questioning though whether or not one can take season ticket sales as a direct measure of how disaffected the fan base is in total, when presumably a couple thousand more ticket sales in general would tip season ticket demand upward, if you see what I'm getting at.

In any case, I'll take the four consecutive frozen fours, please.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Very legitimate and I see what you mean. I'm somewhat questioning though whether or not one can take season ticket sales as a direct measure of how disaffected the fan base is in total, when presumably a couple thousand more ticket sales in general would tip season ticket demand upward, if you see what I'm getting at.
                        Above my younger son's bed is a schedule poster from a few seasons ago that has a large photo of the KC - mostly full and celebrating a goal against UMD. Around that photo are smaller photos that are essentially vignettes of the game day experience, such as it was at that time.

Every time (daily) I go in his room and look at that poster, I'm reminded of what used to be and where we are now. It's driven home ever more clearly when I go to a game like last night and see entire sections empty.

What would you consider a good gauge of how disaffected fans are? An empty KC?

I believe that you may be the last apologist standing.

Comment

Barry Alvarez was the greatest and worst thing to happen to your school. He is actively trying to kill your hockey team, he's chased off one (maybe two) football coaches, and probably some other shenanigans I'm not aware of.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Barry Alvarez was the greatest and worst thing to happen to your school. He is actively trying to kill your hockey team, he's chased off one (maybe two) football coaches, and probably some other shenanigans I'm not aware of.
                            I'm no fan of Alvarez, he's made many mistakes but I do believe he has done the best job that he could as AD. Eaves had enough success to give himself enough rope and no football coach wants a legend looking over his shoulder as AD.

If anything not finding the money for assistant football coaches shows that he's a bit out of touch with the arms race that college football has become.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Above my younger son's bed is a schedule poster from a few seasons ago that has a large photo of the KC - mostly full and celebrating a goal against UMD. Around that photo are smaller photos that are essentially vignettes of the game day experience, such as it was at that time.

Every time (daily) I go in his room and look at that poster, I'm reminded of what used to be and where we are now. It's driven home ever more clearly when I go to a game like last night and see entire sections empty.

What would you consider a good gauge of how disaffected fans are? An empty KC?

On a similar note, This is my computer's desktop background. (It was from just last year, however.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

When I applied for a position at this website all the cynic positions were filled, and had long waiting lines besides. What I'm probably best at, making completely idiotic statements, I soon discovered was also taken by folks way more talented at that than I am.

This position is all that was available at the time. I don't like it anymore than you do, but somebody's got to do it. So here we are.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X