X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    pfft.

IT"LL BE A COLD DAY IN HOUGHTON BEFORE WE LOSE TO TECH!!!

er...hang on...

I don't think that came out right.
    I've taken my shirt off a few times in Madison, hoping to add a couple more to this list this January...the problem is getting the Badgers to go back to Houghton again
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      I've taken my shirt off a few times in Madison, hoping to add a couple more to this list this January...the problem is getting the Badgers to go back to Houghton again
      I bet with the amount of people we'll have in Madison... This could be audible in the Kohl Center...
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        I bet with the amount of people we'll have in Madison... This could be audible in the Kohl Center...
        Yes, Techies taunting Badgers about bad coaching certainly does seem like a terrific idea.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
          Complete aside, but I've got a good one for WiscDC to try if he's around when that series comes up.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

You could try to get Craig Dahl or "Corky" Jutting to coach your squad.

I'm here to help.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Complete aside, but I've got a good one for WiscDC to try if he's around when that series comes up.
              I probably (but not definitely) won't be in town for the MTU series. I know people who will certainly be there, though.

Comment

Can we get a sticky for this?

Comment

There was an article in the WSJ on Wednesday. Eaves said something like he wasn't worried about being fired, but if they didn't improve the university might not extend his contract by one year next summer. Given Barry's success hiring a football coach and then coaching the football team to a big win over Auburn in the Outback bowl, I am thinking he is feeling a bit invincible right now. And that means standing by Eaves. As fans, we may need to prime the pump a bit to up the pressure/make sure Barry fully understands how we feel. Pick a national game and have everybody start wearing bags over their head? Instead of Lets Go Red cheer Lets Fire Eaves? Rather crude but they get the point across while providing significant negative attention. Maybe this is my frustration talking but I am starting to feel like nobody is really listening in the AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
                    There was an article in the WSJ on Wednesday. Eaves said something like he wasn't worried about being fired, but if they didn't improve the university might not extend his contract by one year next summer. Given Barry's success hiring a football coach and then coaching the football team to a big win over Auburn in the Outback bowl, I am thinking he is feeling a bit invincible right now. And that means standing by Eaves. As fans, we may need to prime the pump a bit to up the pressure/make sure Barry fully understands how we feel. Pick a national game and have everybody start wearing bags over their head? Instead of Lets Go Red cheer Lets Fire Eaves? Rather crude but they get the point across while providing significant negative attention. Maybe this is my frustration talking but I am starting to feel like nobody is really listening in the AD.
                    a better way to get BA's attention might be for larger numbers of people to just dump their season tickets. the only thing Barry Alvarez understands is football and money.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      a better way to get BA's attention might be for larger numbers of people to just dump their season tickets. the only thing Barry Alvarez understands is football and money.
                      Yep, can also call, email, or write the AD or Barry directly and state very clearly and rationally that you love UW and UW athletics and all the success that they have had but the current state of the hockey program is an embarrassment to its history and traditions and to all the hard working student athletes and great coaches who have helped built it up to on of the nations most storied programs. And say that is the status quo remains that you will have to re-evaluate is your entertainment dollars are well spent supporting the men's hockey program.

It may not make any difference, but I have to believe that letters like that will carry a lot of weight, particularly from long time tick holders/donors.
                      Last edited by Almington; 01-03-2015, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                        Yep, can also call, email, or write the AD or Barry directly and state very clearly and rationally that you love UW and UW athletics and all the success that they have had but the current state of the hockey program is an embarrassment to its history and traditions and to all the hard working student athletes and great coaches who have helped built it up to on of the nations most storied programs. And say that is the status quo remains that you will have to re-evaluate is your entertainment dollars are well spent supporting the men's hockey program.

It may not make any difference, but I have to believe that letters like that will carry a lot of weight, particularly from long time tick holders/donors.
                        Make sure you include the quote by Eaves, channeling his inner Dennis Green, after last nights game saying "I think that power play goal by Zulinick was the prettiest goal I've seen in a month. We will build on that as we try to get this thing going in the second half." You guys deserve better.
                        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
                          Pick a national game and have everybody start wearing bags over their head?
                          I'm going to say that this specific part is frustration talking. It's one thing to do that sort of thing at a pro venue but it's completely different and IMO inappropriate at a college game. That sort of action doesn't differentiate between any support for the amateur student athletes on the ice and non-support for the professional coaching staff. It might grab attention, but the sort of attention it would get from me is that I'd rather a Badger fan that would take that sort of action just not be at the game.

Letter writing is definitely the correct way to get the AD's attention, but I'm not sure that a large enough contingent of fans are willing to, or are even convinced yet that Eaves must go. 4000 letters delivered for example would demand a response. 72 letters isn't really going to so there would need to be an organized effort. I still think there are quite a large number that remain willing to give Eaves at least another year.

As far as a replacement goes, I'm thinking outside the box and drumming up some support for this former Caps coach and Lodi native:

Why not Chris Walby's Mullet behind the bench? How about some Old Time Hockey, eh!?
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                            Make sure you include the quote by Eaves, channeling his inner Dennis Green, after last nights game saying "I think that power play goal by Zulinick was the prettiest goal I've seen in a month. We will build on that as we try to get this thing going in the second half." You guys deserve better.
                            It's not Dennis Green, it's Bob Johnson. He tells a story about playing for Bob in Calgary in the post game presser starting at about 2:50.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              I'm going to say that this specific part is frustration talking. It's one thing to do that sort of thing at a pro venue but it's completely different and IMO inappropriate at a college game. That sort of action doesn't differentiate between any support for the amateur student athletes on the ice and non-support for the professional coaching staff. It might grab attention, but the sort of attention it would get from me is that I'd rather a Badger fan that would take that sort of action just not be at the game.

Letter writing is definitely the correct way to get the AD's attention, but I'm not sure that a large enough contingent of fans are willing to, or are even convinced yet that Eaves must go. 4000 letters delivered for example would demand a response. 72 letters isn't really going to so there would need to be an organized effort. I still think there are quite a large number that remain willing to give Eaves at least another year.
                              Assuming that season tickets are down by 50% since 2007 report is correct and attendance has fallen off a cliff in the past two seasons, I'd say that many, many people have already spoken about what they think of the current on-ice product.

If they don't remove Eaves after this season, they may as well just have the men play at LaBahn starting next season because things are not going to get better attendance wise, fans have become far to jaded of the wild swings between ups and downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post

THIS. Your idea is much more logical and less knee-jerk emotional reaction than mine.

I have Barry's email and will take some time to ponder and then write a considerate, reasoned yet impassioned plea regarding the state of the UW Men's Hockey team.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X