Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
    After that last wall of text, I want to say more - Look at Michigan State.

When they were a power, they packed Munn. Yes, it's smaller than the Dane County Coliseum was, and much smaller than the Kohl Center, but their fans aren't too pleased with their attendance issues these days. That game against Michigan that drew 7,000 last year looked awesome, but they've been drawing less than 5,000 this year, and a few years ago they were in that range as well. If they can continue what they did some of last year and revive some fan interest, I see no reason Wisconsin can't, given the history and images of 13,000+ filling the Kohl Center. Step one in my mind is to charge only about 10 or 11 dollars for the 300-level seats. That's not just because of current attendance issues; I just don't understand how limited or obstructed views are only 4 dollars less than the best seats in the house. From there it gets more complicated, but if they can reach out to the local hockey scene, that would be great. Hopefully they can have a constructive, rather than destructive relationship with the new USHL team. Perhaps some partnership with the Milwaukee Admirals? From what I understand, Badger hockey is much less prominent in Milwaukee, but it's not a ridiculous place to find new fans. They won't be part of the regular base of attendees, but it's something.
    since we're talking attendance

the move to the KC was great in terms of shiny new amenities but it was horrible for atmosphere. Anyone who was a season ticket holder or even an interloper will tell you the games at the Dane County Colesium had an aura about them, particularly from 1995 and back (in other words when they were consistently great!)

the cheers were numerous (Rumble Rink, "Hi Gary" or whomever was the big penalty taker for UW, the chants when the opposition scores etc), the banners added an element of hominess (Canadian Club et al) and the band was right on the glass (until around 92-93???). and the students were nuts. there was one guy I recall who reminded me of John Belushi, he was at all the games in the late 80's at the Dane, yelling his face off and it was mostly hilarious.

it was an intimidating atmosphere for opponents and fun for fans. Also, you had alcohol and it made it seem like a friggin Blackhawks game.

today they play in the KC where:
    - students can't bring in banners like Canadian Club
    - students can't bring in gopher's on a stick or huskies or whatever
    - the blue line club was eliminated (and don't underestimate how popular that was with a segment of fans)
    - students can't even bring in signs unless they're so small you can fit them in your pocket
    - the admin wants to remove the championship and wcha banners (btw were the ncaa appearances and wcha banners up last night?)
    - cost of parking increased
    - cost of tickets increased to $24

add those up and throw in this...the hockey team was the king of the UW campus from the late 60's or early 70's through about 1992-3 when football and basketball began to win consistently. suddenly Hockey has to compete with winning teams in sports more people recognize and let's face it more people love (and that makes me puke but it's the truth). at the same time from 1995 to the present Wisconsin has not been a college hockey power. they've been up and down.

up w/Heatley for 2 seasons after about 5 consecutive sub-par seasons then down again, up w/Eaves for 04-06 then down and up and down and up. That's 18 years of UW not being a national power but more of an interloper on that stage. That will shake up the fanbase whether we like it or agree with it or not.

I know I myself have become less interested in the team over the past 3-4 years myself. part of it is life (getting busier) and part of it is all of the above.

and the final thing is something that I know people on this board shoot down but I've spoken with many alumni who feel this way: the game (today's UW) isn't as fun to watch, period. Go back and watch a UW hockey game under Sauer or Johnson. Run and Gun, almost the entire game. there are teams that still play that way today (BC, MN, Michigan to name a few). Those teams were incredibly fun to watch.

anyway, .02
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

and the final thing is something that I know people on this board shoot down but I've spoken with many alumni who feel this way: the game (today's UW) isn't as fun to watch, period. Go back and watch a UW hockey game under Sauer or Johnson. Run and Gun, almost the entire game. there are teams that still play that way today (BC, MN, Michigan to name a few). Those teams were incredibly fun to watch.

Style of play is a factor whether some around here will acknowledge it or not.

Badger hockey is often dreadfully boring to watch. And it's not just about the end result. Fresh on my mind is the second game against NMU. I was there and we won and I was mostly bored off my ***.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        since we're talking attendance

- the admin wants to remove the championship and wcha banners (btw were the ncaa appearances and wcha banners up last night?)
        No the WCHA banners, NCAA and frozen four banners were AWOL. They had the 6 national titles right along the top of the safety net in the student section end of the ice.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          No the WCHA banners, NCAA and frozen four banners were AWOL. They had the 6 national titles right along the top of the safety net in the student section end of the ice.
          Why in the hell would they do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            Why in the hell would they do that?
            because you know that giant cube of air/empty space 80 feet off the ice? they can beam 3-d images of Darth Alvarez up there so the football fans can show up and pay homage (actually hell, they can maybe put 4k more people in there if they do that!)

seriously it's dumb and it's agitated this fan (and I'm sure others) to no end and I haven't even been to a game yet. I'm ****ed at the very notion of this.

Barry, Cerniglia, the entire admin can go as far as I'm concerned. they've offered no real explanations and given weeks of time they've not (obviously) put the banners back where they belong.

*******http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-toews********

they look just fine at the UC as has been stated ad nauseum

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I saw this thread and knew that I had to reply. Firing Eaves won't solve the problems. Take a look at Denver now. They had awesome recruiting coming in and year after year of post season success. This year they suck so badly that donations are keeping the lights on due to poor attendance. Just be careful what you wish for.

Comment

Originally posted by tigersinnet View Post
                I saw this thread and knew that I had to reply. Firing Eaves won't solve the problems. Take a look at Denver now. They had awesome recruiting coming in and year after year of post season success. This year they suck so badly that donations are keeping the lights on due to poor attendance. Just be careful what you wish for.
                I'm not advocating taking action here. But assuming they don't totally mess up, UW is not DU. UW can get it right whereas DU was taking a big risk because of the size of the school and realignment.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Fire Mike Eaves? As tigersinnet said, "Just be careful what you wish for."
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Fire Mike Eaves? As tigersinnet said, "Just be careful what you wish for."
                    D2D and Tigersinnet...have you read the posts in this thread that have been written in the past week or two? Perspective.

the fire eaves thread began long ago and for a reason. It was dredged up as a lark really. Obviously this is a pretty important year for UW Hockey and they need to deliver but no-one here is saying Fire Eaves in relation to the 13-14 season......................yet

Comment

How could you want to fire this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohj_E...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Uh... More time with the grand kids? Really nice video.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                          How could you want to fire this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohj_E...ature=youtu.be
                          Yikes. I know we need a bunch of forwards for next year, but I don't think those are the right targets.
                          Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                          Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                          sigpic
                          Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                          1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
                            Yikes. I know we need a bunch of forwards for next year, but I don't think those are the right targets.
                            Hey they already have dump and chase style down pat.
                            "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

They are going to be a young team next year, so it's good to know he can manage youth!

Comment

Kerdiles could probably use a few naps during practice to help rest up and get back on the ice.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X