Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Gwoz is 59. Hell, he played on the same team as Mike Eaves at Wisconsin.
    yes, he was one year ahead of Eaves. my point is while I like Gwoz I don't think you start over with a coach approaching 60, even if he's successful he won't have a lot of time to produce. Berenson is an anomaly. same reason why I think hiring The Blaiser at Omaha was a mistake unless they're just looking for a short-term ramp-up and hiring someone young and successful to replace the legend after 5-7 years
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Reposted from the old UW thread:

*****http://l.wigflip.com/f6muGQu3/roflbot.jpg******
      This is hillarious
      Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        yes, he was one year ahead of Eaves. my point is while I like Gwoz I don't think you start over with a coach approaching 60, even if he's successful he won't have a lot of time to produce. Berenson is an anomaly. same reason why I think hiring The Blaiser at Omaha was a mistake unless they're just looking for a short-term ramp-up and hiring someone young and successful to replace the legend after 5-7 years
        He'd have at least 5-6 years left, and then his recruits live on another 1-3 years after him. I think it would be way worth it. Other than Blasi, there really isn't someone who really turns my crank. This is one of those targets of opportunity that come along in life that you really can't ignore.

I know he said UW's time had passed, but getting blindsidely axed the way he did is a life changer.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I've seen enough.

Comment

You should see the attendence pictures on Twitter. There is probably 4 to 5 thousand people there.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              You should see the attendence pictures on Twitter. There is probably 4 to 5 thousand people there.

I can see it on TV. Brutal.

I'll be there tomorrow. Yippee!

Comment

If Bucky loses, hide your deer and thinner...

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                  Lake State is unbeaten this year... *knocks on wood*
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    I've seen enough.
                    You bumped this? I thought you said they were gonna win tonight (after being down 3-0)? It's still too early and if Rumpel was playing it would be 1-1 at the worst case.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      You bumped this? I thought you said they were gonna win tonight (after being down 3-0)? It's still too early and if Rumpel was playing it would be 1-1 at the worst case.

The and the should have tipped off my intent.

Comment

A bunch of people filed in late, so it was a little better. I don't think it was notably less than the paid attendance. That said, remembering the sellout (and it was really packed, even the obstructed views) on senior night in 2011, when the team was way out of it all, and comparing it to the crowds these days...it's sad. If the amount of energy I felt tonight could be multiplied out to even an 11-12K crowd, it woudl be so much better. Both myself and other fellow Crease Creatures are making a bit more of a direct effort to keep up all the chants and traditions, as all we can do is make the experience as best as it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          I think some people in Boston slipped some thinner into Peterson's system. This isn't the Landon Peterson I've come to know.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                            A bunch of people filed in late, so it was a little better. I don't think it was notably less than the paid attendance. That said, remembering the sellout (and it was really packed, even the obstructed views) on senior night in 2011, when the team was way out of it all, and comparing it to the crowds these days...it's sad. If the amount of energy I felt tonight could be multiplied out to even an 11-12K crowd, it woudl be so much better. Both myself and other fellow Crease Creatures are making a bit more of a direct effort to keep up all the chants and traditions, as all we can do is make the experience as best as it can be.
                            It is odd that there is such a drop off. I guess hockey is becoming less and less of an interest of people on campus and the area?
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

It is odd that there is such a drop off. I guess hockey is becoming less and less of an interest of people on campus and the area?
                              "On campus" and "in the area" are both isssues, but entirely different issues. As a current student, I can say much more about the "on campus" part, though as students graduate, it directly affects the non-student fan base. Hockey seems to be promoted as a footnote compared to the all-powerful football that doesn't have attendance problems...but it's FOOTBALL! (If you can't tell, I'm saying that snarkily.) The students who do show up are still what you've heard about the Wisconsin student section, but they're just less numerous. If a basketball game happens to be very, very close, then the student section there can match a hockey student section from the first 5 minutes last night (having every reason to feel "flat"). Random people don't know very much about college hockey, while plenty of other fans know a ton about it, because they seeked out the information themselves. (The amount of college hockey knowledge among student fans would absolutely bewilder the more arrogant Gopher fans.) Once fans get exposed, they pretty much always like it. Personally, I don't understand how you can identify as a sports fan, be a current student, and not want to go to hockey games. My buddies and I struggle to get chants going at basketball games. At hockey games, I can yell some amusing observation about the opponent in chant form, and everyone keeps it going. It's amazing how much the hockey student section has shrunk, while still easily being the best student section we have.

They've started reaching out more after just saying "hey, you can buy hockey season tickets" in previous years. Obviously, there's no magic button they can press to fill the arena, so I give them credit for showing they care a little.

As for in the area, I'm not exposed to the same news and coverage other locals are. If local media covered it a lot more, I think more people would see it as one of our marquee sports, rather than the most popular of the "other" sports. As I said in the Wisconsin season thread, a "Rumpel Out for the Weekend" article or some LSSU series preview on the front of the Wisconsin State Journal's sports page would make a huge difference. You don't promote hockey by saying the goalie is injured, but by getting that news fed to you rather than seeking it out, it changes your mindset. I wish I had a better of idea of where Badger hockey stands in the minds of the locals, and how it compares to 5, 10, and 20 years ago.

What I find most bizarre is the sheer amount of hockey apparel I see on people around campus compared to other sports doesn't seem to translate into student season ticket sales. It's possible that there are hockey fans who simply aren't becoming Badger hockey fans, writing it off as an "extra" sport, not knowing it's pretty relevant to the sport as a whole, just like NCAA football is. Tons of students, who may be NHL fans, come from places where college hockey is an unknown, but if they're American, college football and basketball have been beaten into their minds. They know what they're getting with basketball and football. They need to be introduced to college hockey. That's the challenge.

Let me tell you this - hockey is popular here. There's something more at play. People who used to go to more games but don't anymore most likely didn't just lose their interest in hockey. I don't know of any sports fans who just stop watching a sport like that. With diminished TV coverage, they may have lost touch with the Badgers, but I doubt they stopped caring about hockey at all. (But seriously, get the freakin' games on TV.) When I walked into Dick's Sporting Goods in Madison, I was amazed at the hockey section. Lots of equipment, and they even had a fairly wide selection of skates! The only place you can get that where I'm from is at pro shops. Our sporting goods stores have a small selection of street and ice hockey sticks, but not all the equipment they had up here. No, I'm not from Louisiana. I'm from the immediate DC suburbs, where the Capitals are as popular as ever, and there are quite a few nearby ice rinks (3 near me on my side of the river) with plenty of hockey being played. Tons of people playing hockey at local parks in the winter is something I could have only dreamed of, but it's reality here in Madison.

Comment

After that last wall of text, I want to say more - Look at Michigan State.

When they were a power, they packed Munn. Yes, it's smaller than the Dane County Coliseum was, and much smaller than the Kohl Center, but their fans aren't too pleased with their attendance issues these days. That game against Michigan that drew 7,000 last year looked awesome, but they've been drawing less than 5,000 this year, and a few years ago they were in that range as well. If they can continue what they did some of last year and revive some fan interest, I see no reason Wisconsin can't, given the history and images of 13,000+ filling the Kohl Center. Step one in my mind is to charge only about 10 or 11 dollars for the 300-level seats. That's not just because of current attendance issues; I just don't understand how limited or obstructed views are only 4 dollars less than the best seats in the house. From there it gets more complicated, but if they can reach out to the local hockey scene, that would be great. Hopefully they can have a constructive, rather than destructive relationship with the new USHL team. Perhaps some partnership with the Milwaukee Admirals? From what I understand, Badger hockey is much less prominent in Milwaukee, but it's not a ridiculous place to find new fans. They won't be part of the regular base of attendees, but it's something.

Comment

Working...
                                X