Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by burd View Post
    There's a difference between permitting creativity and pursuing it. I think to some extent UND fans have some of those same questions with Hakstol. Even though he gets a lot out of his players, he is also a discipline/control guy (other than that tourettes bird-flipping thing), and fans will always compare him to Blais, who tended to coach a more wide open and what appeared to be more creative game. The Sioux have quite a bit of speed and talent this year along with less size, and many fans are waiting to see how they will develop the creative side of their game. They will not do well with a grinding game.

Hockey chemistry is a funny thing, though. It's hard to predict when or if things will start to click.
    Depends on the players you have. I haven't seen them play this season, but in the games I watched UNO played last year they trapped more than any team in the league. Hell, even UMD trapped quite a bit last season in the games I saw them play against UW and they had a lot of goal scorers on that club.

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    You all may have already discussed this, but has a replacement been found for Bill Butters? Isn't it kinda odd that he resigned less than a month after the season started?
    They hired former Badger Matt Walsh late last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      I suspect that his desire has more to do with the inverse nature of this thread's activity level and Wisconsin's on-ice performance than general entertainment purposes.
      And I suspect you are right.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

FWIW, Wisconsin's volleyball coach resigned yesterday in a move "dictated by athletic department officials".
        Link
        Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
        Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
        sigpic
        Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
        1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Your post went into "adult on Peanuts" mode for me right after the bolded section. It bears repeating: this will be the third year in a row of missing the NCAAs. 5th of the last 7 seasons. In 11 seasons, he'll have had only 5 NCAA appearances and absolutely no conference hardware.

Is it really fairweather to find that not acceptable? Even if it is, it sure beats the pants off of the Jan Brady existence of being okay with it.
          Who says SCSU fans are "okay with it"? There isn't anything we can do about it, just like there really isn't anything you can do about it.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Mike Hastings is not exactly your typical first year coach. Have you ever seen his resume'? You are talking about a guy that was basically the Vince Lombardi of the USHL in his 14 seasons there. No losings seasons--EVER? The winningest coach in league history? 529-210-56? 3 league championships? 2 National championships? He was twice named the USHL’s Coach of the Year and, as the Omaha Lancer's general manager, besides being the Head Coach, was named the league’s GM of the year five times. During that time he developed 35 National Hockey League draft picks, many of whom are still playing in the NHL.

I don't think it's particularly shameful to lose a game against somebody with a background like this one. Wisconsin appears to have their problems but I don't think I'd try to pin any of the blame for it on the "poor quality" of the opponent's head coach in this instance.

This game might say more about Mike Hastings that it does about Mike Eaves.

Hastings didnt dress and they are not his players, enough said

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
              FWIW, Wisconsin's volleyball coach resigned yesterday in a move "dictated by athletic department officials".
              Link
              This is a huge development. Waite was really great from 99-07 (3 time conf champs, 1 ncaa runner-up), then they took a huge dump and never really got back to that level. His teams had to stink from 08-12 for BA to fire him. Eaves has been down and up with more downs than ups, 5 years making the ncaa's, 6 years not, no conference titles of any kind, but 1 ncaa title and 1 runner up. UW stunk last year, they stink this year, the writing on the wall says they'll stink next year. Will BA give him up to 5 years of stinking? Maybe not considering men's hockey revenue is way more critical to the AD than volleyball's revenue. On the reverse side, BA will probably buy Eaves' defense of injuries and the Kerdiles deal. BA, being a self prescribed "not a hockey guy" won't be able to see the cupboard isn't getting stocked up any time soon. On the other hand, Waite did have the #1 recruit in the nation lined up and still got fired, but I suspect BA had no idea of this.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                Hastings didnt dress and they are not his players, enough said
                Hello Mr. Jutting.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

As of now Mike Eaves coached Badgers have won just half of their games played, and I expect will fall below that mark this weekend.

Career record 210-163-46 --- 210 wins/ 419 games = 50.1% wins

For comparison:

Bob Johnson(WI) 367-175-23 --- 367 wins/ 565 games = 65.5% wins

Jeff Sauer(WI) 489-306-46 --- 489 wins/ 841 games = 58.1% wins

Don Lucia(MN) 318-171-54 --- 318 wins/ 543 games = 58.6% wins

Dean Blais(ND) 262-115-34 --- 262 wins/ 411 games = 63.7% wins

George Gwozdecky(DU) 311-195-40 --- 311 wins/ 546 games = 57% wins

Jeff Jackson(LSS, ND) 323-131-52 --- 323 wins/ 506 games = 63.8% wins

Enrico Blasi(Miami) 262-169-46 --- 262 wins/ 477 games = 54.9% wins

Tom Serratore(Bemidji) 198-169-43 --- 198 wins/ 410 games = 48.3%

I realise measuring this way punishes ties as they are usually calculated as half win/half loss. But a 10-10-10 record is .500 that way, and you only won 1 out of 3 games. I'd like to know how often you actually win. At any rate: Mike Eaves Hockey- "Out of every 200 games, we win 3 more than Bemidji!!"
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    As of now Mike Eaves coached Badgers have won just half of their games played, and I expect will fall below that mark this weekend.

I wouldn't have thought Eaves would deserve a firing.

But slipping below .500 for a program like WI is pretty tough.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Wow, this is sobering. As under-performing as the team has been the last few years in particular, I still would have expected a better overall winning percentage.
                      Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

They're not slipping below .500, a 210-163-46 record is a .556 winning percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

That's because they actually are not below .500 under the standard hockey winning %.

Edit: What Chuck said.

Comment

Here's a little different comparison: Mike Eaves record (210-163-46) extrapolated out to the same number of games as these coaches for comparison purposes.

COACH ** RECORD ** Total games ** %wins ** EAVES' EXTRAPOLATED RECORD

Jerry York(BC) 880-547-93 1520 games; 57.9% wins 762-592-166 (-118 wins)

Jack Parker(BU) 850-444-112 1406 games; 60.5% wins 705-547-154 (-145 wins)

Red Berenson(MI) 728-339-73 1140 games; 63.9% wins 571- 444-125 (-157 wins)

Jeff Sauer(WI) 489-306-46 841 games; 58.1% wins 421-327-93 (-68 wins)

Doug Woog(MN) 390-188-40 618 games; 63.1% wins 310- 240-68 (-70 wins)

Bob Johnson(WI) 367-175-23 565 games; 65.5% wins 283- 220-62 (-84 wins)

George Gwozdecky(DU) 311-195-40 546 games; 57% wins 273-213-60 (-38 wins)

Don Lucia(MN) 318-171-54 543 games; 58.6% wins 272-212-59 (-46 wins)

Jeff Jackson(LSS, ND) 323-131-52 506 games; 63.8% wins 254-197-55 (-69 wins)

Enrico Blasi(Miami) 262-169-46 477 games; 54.9% wins 239-186- 52 (-23 wins)

Dean Blais(ND) 262-115-34 411 games 63.7% wins 206-160-45 (-56wins)

Tom Serratore(Bemidji) 198-169-43 410 games; 48.3% wins 205-160-52 +7 wins

Dave Hakstol(ND) 187-93-27 307 games 60.9% wins 154-119-34 (-33 wins)

What does this all mean? Well maybe nothing. I was wondering what another 5 or 10 years would mean and how Eaves record compares to other programs. We have a pretty good sample from Eaves to project out what we might expect in the future.
                            If you do the math the difference between the average of this whole group and Eaves is around 4 wins per year. Doesn't sound like much. But it is the difference between 16-18 and 20-14. Or 22-12 and 26-8. I think there's no doubt young Mr. Eaves is a good coach. The records on the right are certainly respectable and he's proven capable of coaching a talented team to the top. The question is: Is this an acceptable standard of performance at Wisconsin? Jeff Sauer was a fine coach with many accomplishments but in my mind was overall a step down in the program. Coach Eaves, it appears, has been another subtle step down. A lot goes into this and you can make many arguments regarding parity, level of competition, etc., but in the end, I just can't help but feel the standard at Wisconsin should be higher.
                            Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Wisko, it probably doesn't matter in your calculated win differentials, but if you're going to calculate winning % for coaches/teams where ties are involved you need to add half the value of their ties to the win total. For instance Lucia's winning % is actually around 63%, York around 61%...
                              Last edited by Slap Shot; 11-27-2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Wisko, it probably doesn't matter in your calculated win differentials, but if you're going to calculate winning % for coaches/teams where ties are involved you need to add half the value of their ties to the win total. For instance Lucia's winning % is actually around 63%, York around 61%...
                                Thanks Slap Shot, as I pointed out in the previous post, I was interested in looking at wins/games:
                                Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton
                                I realize measuring this way punishes ties as they are usually calculated as half win/half loss. But a 10-10-10 record is .500 that way, and you only won 1 out of 3 games. I'd like to know how often you actually win.
                                Ties are valuable in hockey and admittedly this skews slightly against Eaves, as has been discussed elsewhere, and the comparison numbers above bear out; Eaves teams have a larger propensity for ties than everyone else on the list.

I found it interesting that the difference between the average wins of the coaches above and Eaves' Badgers came out to just about 4 wins per year. (Individual comparisons vary, for example Badger Bob's record is closer to 6 wins/season better, while Sauer's is almost exactly four.) As I said, it doesn't seem like a lot but it is every year, and I wondered how just four more conference wins/season would have changed the Badgers WCHA standing the last 11 years. So here it is:

YEAR ** WCHA FINISH ** PLUS FOUR WINS FINISH

2002 **** 5th ***** t4th

2003 **** 8th **** 8th

2004 **** 3rd **** t1st

2005 **** t3rd **** 1st

2006 **** t2nd **** 1st

2007 **** t6th **** t2nd

2008 **** 6th **** 3rd

2009 **** 3rd **** t1st

2010 **** 2nd **** 1st

2011 **** 7th **** t4th

2012 **** 10th **** 5th

Actual avg finish-5th **** Plus four wins average finish- 2.8

Average finish for WCHA teams last 11 years.

DU 2.7
                                ND-3.1
                                MN-3.5
                                CC-3.8
                                WI-5

It just illustrates what the frustration with Coach Eaves is for Badger fans. He's far from a bad coach. With just a couple more wins plus (god forbid) a couple more ties, (however you want to figure it,) the Badgers have three outright conference titles, (plus two t1st) vs. zero and ending only a tick behind DU for the best average conference finish. Or instead, if those extra wins come in the final five, or the NCAA's, nobody is complaining. The point is that Eaves record while still good, falls short of what we should expect at Wisconsin, which is a record comparable to the best coaches and programs in the country. (Or comparable to Sauer's?)
                                Will Coach Eaves put together another title winner/contender in the next ten years? Probably. Will Wisconsin hockey remain just outside the elite programs over the next ten years? Probably. What to do... what to do...
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X