Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
    I have to say I find this thread humorous. I mean, since 2005, Wisconsin has one national title and one runner up; that's twice to the final in 7 years. Just two seasons ago, they made it to the final. How many other teams have that record? You've got Boston College, and that's it.
    This whole thread embarrasses me. I'm not happy with where the team is either, but to have all this squalling from a bunch of pizzants who couldn't manage a litter box is just shameful. Wonder if they'd all have the guts to sit down and share their wealth of hockey knowledge with Eaves, right to his face. Doubtful.
    "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
      This whole thread embarrasses me. I'm not happy with where the team is either, but to have all this squalling from a bunch of pizzants who couldn't manage a litter box is just shameful. Wonder if they'd all have the guts to sit down and share their wealth of hockey knowledge with Eaves, right to his face. Doubtful.

Your solution?

Ignore it? Hope for the best? Wait for more horses to be put into the barn?

Would I tell Eaves to his face that I'm sick of this? Absolutely. There's a lot of other things that I could be doing with $1200, not to mention my time.

We're the consumers. We have every right to complain when what we pay for doesn't meet expectations. It'd be far more troubling if nobody cared. This level of dissatisfaction didn't happen overnight. Been a long time coming.

Oh yeah, and how would you know what any one of us could manage? Interesting that you mention a litter box though when alluding to whether we could (or couldn't) manage something as well as Eaves.

Look, it's not like it's just a couple of people complaining about nothing. Even Chuck is unhappy!
      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I'm joining this thread late...

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Can't see Jackson leaving ND, but Blasi would be interesting. He's a Miami grad, but I don't know what he's making there.
        Looks like he makes good money, I saw another post with his base numbers but it looks like the bonuses are also nice.
        From http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...aries-1/nMtkw/:

In some cases, the top slot falls to a sports coach. Miami University ice hockey coach Enrico Blasi last year took home $495,916. That’s $114,035 more than university President David Hodge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
          I would hope that person wouldn't be teaching as with that sort of belief system one wonders if he/she also believed the Earth was flat and that the Sun rotated around it.
          Same here! I didn't actually think Wisconsin would get home ice or that the Earth was flat.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

So, what are your reasons for retaining him? Since you obviously tower above us in litter box management, consider this your litter box. Coaches basically have four criteria thier employment depends on: recruit good players, develop players, coach gametime situations and achieve good results (record and attendance). Which of the four do you feel he performs well enough to consider retaining him? Naming him coach for life because a discussion like this embarrasses you is not an option. Convince us.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              It bears repeating: this will be the third year in a row of missing the NCAAs. 5th of the last 7 seasons. In 11 seasons, he'll have had only 5 NCAA appearances and absolutely no conference hardware.
              The facts in post are all that matter. This tells you the whole story. Either you are content with these results or you are not.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I, unfortunately, was at Friday night's game with my family who saw the Badgers for the first time live. That, my friend, was much more embarrassing than anything in this thread. $150+ to watch a bunch of guys get beat to most pucks, lose those they did manage to get to, make bad passes, and constantly miss the net.
                Last edited by srkbadger; 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

This whole thread embarrasses me. I'm not happy with where the team is either, but to have all this squalling from a bunch of pizzants who couldn't manage a litter box is just shameful.
                  You rang?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    I suspect that a new coach might be able to get significantly more our of the current lineup of forward grinders and stay-at-home defensemen. To many of these players showed offensive ability in the past, some of them still have to have it and maybe a new voice can bring it out of them again. pithy little saying are great for sound bites but if they are old for us fans I have to believe that they are old for the players also.
                    I agree you for sure w/a new coach getting probably getting more results from of the forwards. I wonder what LaBate and Barnes could do as secondary scorers with the leeway to freewheel a bit and create. Just take the harness off in general and see what happens. It's almost like UW went from an anything goes attitude to the complete opposite. somewhere in between they've got to find a path
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Your post went into "adult on Peanuts" mode for me right after the bolded section. It bears repeating: this will be the third year in a row of missing the NCAAs. 5th of the last 7 seasons. In 11 seasons, he'll have had only 5 NCAA appearances and absolutely no conference hardware.

Is it really fairweather to find that not acceptable? Even if it is, it sure beats the pants off of the Jan Brady existence of being okay with it.
                      this is it exactly.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        I agree you for sure w/a new coach getting probably getting more results from of the forwards. I wonder what LaBate and Barnes could do as secondary scorers with the leeway to freewheel a bit and create. Just take the harness off in general and see what happens.
                        You do realize that there are no harnesses in the offensive zone right? Sure, they have a system to play when the puck is dumped in the zone in terms of retrieving the puck, but once they gain possession they can freewheel and create as much as they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          You do realize that there are no harnesses in the offensive zone right? Sure, they have a system to play when the puck is dumped in the zone in terms of retrieving the puck, but once they gain possession they can freewheel and create as much as they want.
                          there's a huge, huge discrepancy between let's say UW from 1992 (UW vs. LSSU) and 2002 (UW vs. ND) and the Eaves teams (yes, I did watch parts of those games after listening to that ugly 2nd mankato loss). And it doesn't appear to be that kids in general have lost their creativity I can tell you that. light years of difference. 1992 all the talent in the world, drop passes, cross overs, tic-tac-toe passing, 2002 lesser talent but still had Leavitt, Bourque and a couple of others absolutely freewheeling

today? last 5-6 years? you'd be kidding if you told me in the offensive zone there's any creativity at all. on a 3-2 rush do they not just skate rotely straight-ahead into the zone take a weak shot and re-group? they act like robots under Eaves, skate like it to at times

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            there's a huge, huge discrepancy between let's say UW from 1992 (UW vs. LSSU) and 2002 (UW vs. ND) and the Eaves teams (yes, I did watch parts of those games after listening to that ugly 2nd mankato loss). And it doesn't appear to be that kids in general have lost their creativity I can tell you that. light years of difference. 1992 all the talent in the world, drop passes, cross overs, tic-tac-toe passing, 2002 lesser talent but still had Leavitt, Bourque and a couple of others absolutely freewheeling

today? last 5-6 years? you'd be kidding if you told me in the offensive zone there's any creativity at all. on a 3-2 rush do they not just skate rotely straight-ahead into the zone take a weak shot and re-group? they act like robots under Eaves, skate like it to at times
                            Like I said, it's not Eaves, it's the players. There's no limit placed by the coaching staff on what they can do with possession of the puck entering the zone or once they're in the zone with the puck.

This is one of the key areas where Justin Schultz's loss is magnified. I can recount dozens of times he jumped up in the play and was able to catch a pass as a trailer and get a scoring opportunity. They don't have someone that jumps up and change the numbers in UW's favor.

I don't know, I think there's creativity, just not enough of it. Mersch's second goal against Minnesota comes to mind. Take out the spin-o-rama pass by McCabe, the tick-tack-toe passing from Zulinick to Mersch to Lee to get the initial shot was a thing of beauty. Hopefully getting Kerdiles and Zengerle back will help things as they'll have more threats.

Guessing the lineup will look something like this in a few weeks (slight variation of the initial lineup in pre-season):

Kerdiles-Zengerle-Barnes
                            Zulinick-Lee-Mersch
                            Labate-Woods-Meuer
                            R. Little-Dahl-S. Little
                            -------------------------
                            Navin-Paape-Bell

Comment

There's a difference between permitting creativity and pursuing it. I think to some extent UND fans have some of those same questions with Hakstol. Even though he gets a lot out of his players, he is also a discipline/control guy (other than that tourettes bird-flipping thing), and fans will always compare him to Blais, who tended to coach a more wide open and what appeared to be more creative game. The Sioux have quite a bit of speed and talent this year along with less size, and many fans are waiting to see how they will develop the creative side of their game. They will not do well with a grinding game.

Hockey chemistry is a funny thing, though. It's hard to predict when or if things will start to click.

Comment

You all may have already discussed this, but has a replacement been found for Bill Butters? Isn't it kinda odd that he resigned less than a month after the season started?
                                Originally Posted by aparch
                                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X