Fire Mike Eaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

What really gets me mad about this program is how you don't see any player development on the offensive side. It seems their entire offensive plan is to throw as many 40 foot shots on goal as possible, hope someone is standing in front of the goalie, or the goalie doesn't see the puck or a scrum develops in front of the net and the puck manages to dribble in. Hockey by probability. If we take 50 bad shots from the blueline every game, we should be able to eek out a goal or two. No creativity. Nobody making a move to drive on the net. No play to put someone on the backdoor.

Watch us when we break out into a 3 on 2 rush. Do you see any players crossing over each other? Drop passes? Cut sideways in front of the net looking for space? No. All three players skate right at the goalie and we end up with a feeble shot and three players in no position to make any plays.

This would have been my 30th year for season tickets. I cancelled them because we finished so poorly last year and nobody in the athletic department seemed to care enough to do anything about it. Watching this team is not worth $22 a game. If I go at all this year, I am bringing a paper bag to wear over my head. Maybe that will start getting people's attention. You don't even hear any grumbling yet in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      anyone know if Eric Hybert is still lurking here at all?
      I assume Eric has remained very busy with this family endeavor.

http://www.restoringhope.org/
      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Glad to see this program is where it belongs. Maybe this is a blessing, and you'll finally understand the perils of being a plug-n-play program. As long as your program is in shambles, you might as well fix this fundamental problem.

Anyways, just wanted to drop by and see how you guys are coping. Enjoy your "birth right" as bottom-feeding talent importers

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
          The question becomes what is the definition of "losing money"?

If the hockey team is still profitable - or, to put it another way - if it is meeting budget expectations, then the decrease in attendnance may not be alarming to the bean counters.
          I've always believed that the Hockey program is gravy to the athletic department here at Wisconsin. I can't think of many other schools that could count on 12-13,000 people paying $20+ for the 3rd most popular sport on campus. I think you're right that they might still be profitable, but a smart business (and anyone who thinks that college sports isn't a business, is crazy) would look at a 33% attendance and revenue drop (in only 3 years) as a very bad thing that should be addressed before it becomes a 40 or 50% drop.

Not saying that a new coach would definitely be the answer, but something has to change... and quickly.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
            I've always believed that the Hockey program is gravy to the athletic department here at Wisconsin. I can't think of many other schools that could count on 12-13,000 people paying $20+ for the 3rd most popular sport on campus. I think you're right that they might still be profitable, but a smart business (and anyone who thinks that college sports isn't a business, is crazy) would look at a 33% attendance and revenue drop (in only 3 years) as a very bad thing that should be addressed before it becomes a 40 or 50% drop.

Not saying that a new coach would definitely be the answer, but something has to change... and quickly.
            With next years recruiting class it may not be that quick.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
              Glad to see this program is where it belongs. Maybe this is a blessing, and you'll finally understand the perils of being a plug-n-play program. As long as your program is in shambles, you might as well fix this fundamental problem.

Anyways, just wanted to drop by and see how you guys are coping. Enjoy your "birth right" as bottom-feeding talent importers
              DUBBS! Get that spell of Hirschitis treated?

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

The problem is that season tickets are inertial things, every year you write your check to UW, get your tickets and go to the games. You don't really have to think to much about it, it's almost automatic.

It's adding new season ticket holders that is hard, you have to make a multi weekend commitment for many hundreds of dollars. The problem is that anyone who drops their tickets finds something else to fill the time and to spend the money.

I assume that the renewal rates after about 5 years is very high, so having those loyal long term fans choosing not to renew should get the attention of the athletic department bean counters: it's a case of death by a thousand cuts. Even if the men's hockey program remains profitable, a drop in revenue of 20% or more isn't going to go unnoticed and if the trend is not just declining, but declining at a faster rate it may not take long to lose more in profitability than the cost in paying two head coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                  The problem is that season tickets are inertial things, every year you write your check to UW, get your tickets and go to the games. You don't really have to think to much about it, it's almost automatic.

It's adding new season ticket holders that is hard, you have to make a multi weekend commitment for many hundreds of dollars. The problem is that anyone who drops their tickets finds something else to fill the time and to spend the money.

I assume that the renewal rates after about 5 years is very high, so having those loyal long term fans choosing not to renew should get the attention of the athletic department bean counters: it's a case of death by a thousand cuts. Even if the men's hockey program remains profitable, a drop in revenue of 20% or more isn't going to go unnoticed and if the trend is not just declining, but declining at a faster rate it may not take long to lose more in profitability than the cost in paying two head coaches.
                  You bring up some good points here.

Also, Mike Eaves has four years left on his contract. I'm not sure what the exact dollar amount is at this point but I'd estimate it to be around $250k. IF they did let him go, they'd owe him the rest of the contract...but I believe if he finds other employment then they don't owe him the rest. So basically if he takes a job next year they won't have to pay off the rest of his contract. Maybe someone can correct me if that's not true?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post

Also, Mike Eaves has four years left on his contract. I'm not sure what the exact dollar amount is at this point but I'd estimate it to be around $250k. IF they did let him go, they'd owe him the rest of the contract...but I believe if he finds other employment then they don't owe him the rest. So basically if he takes a job next year they won't have to pay off the rest of his contract. Maybe someone can correct me if that's not true?
                    Most contracts are written to where Wisconsin would not be liable for the $$ that he was making at his new job.

For example, if he was owed $250k/year for four years, and he accepted a job at $150k/year, Wisconsin would likely be on the hook for that $100k/year difference for those four years.

Again though, his contract could very well be different.
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post

Depends on if the contract has a buyout clause or if a buyout can be negotiated. If no buyout is reached, the university would be on the hook for the difference between the salary in the contract and what he would be making at the different job. Most likely they would negotiate a buyout because Eaves would get that money regardless of what his new job pays and it would open up his employment options because he would not have to report his new salary to the university which is super to a FOIA request.

Assuming eaves believes he can get a new job with little trouble, I'd guess that a buyout of about ~1/3 of the total remaing contract value would be enough. It would also allow eaves to save face by resigning as opposed to having his contract terminated.

Comment

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                        Depends on if the contract has a buyout clause or if a buyout can be negotiated. If no buyout is reached, the university would be on the hook for the difference between the salary in the contract and what he would be making at the different job. Most likely they would negotiate a buyout because Eaves would get that money regardless of what his new job pays and it would open up his employment options because he would not have to report his new salary to the university which is super to a FOIA request.

Assuming eaves believes he can get a new job with little trouble, I'd guess that a buyout of about ~1/3 of the total remaing contract value would be enough. It would also allow eaves to save face by resigning as opposed to having his contract terminated.
                        That makes a firing seem much more reasonable if they were to go that route. A million dollar buyout is probably unreasonable for the hockey program...a 350k buyout is certainly possible.

I mean, considering the dip in attendance over the past few years...it might be the smart financial move. For every 1,000 seats not filled for a game that's 25k. Attendance is down about 3k per night from usual when Wisconsin is good. 75k times 20 home dates is 1,500,00 M per season they are losing.

Wisconsin Hockey: Do the math
                        Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 11-25-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

That assumes that we'd be able to gain those attendance numbers back during the subsequent years. Rebuilding years (actual rebuilding years, not the ones we seem to have every other season) can't be that much better for the gate.

Short of raising Badger Bob from the dead, or dropping a semi-trailer full of cash at Gwoz's/Blasi's house, I'm not sure what good short term solutions we have.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            That assumes that we'd be able to gain those attendance numbers back during the subsequent years. Rebuilding years (actual rebuilding years, not the ones we seem to have every other season) can't be that much better for the gate.

Short of raising Badger Bob from the dead, or dropping a semi-trailer full of cash at Gwoz's/Blasi's house, I'm not sure what good short term solutions we have.
                            I'm sure I'll get in trouble for this, but I'd drive the semi to Gwoz's house myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              I'm sure I'll get in trouble for this, but I'd drive the semi to Gwoz's house myself.
                              And I'm sure you'd have a caravan of cars behind you to help you with the packing.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

UW is ****ed whatever they do in the short-term. with the current record, being 55th in the rankings, it would take a miracle to make the NCAA's, and add to that Zengerle could bolt after the season and he's replaced by Besse...essentially nothing changes or it gets worse because Besse needs a year to adjust. beyond that there are no forwards lined up who can light it up. So w/Eaves it would take 3-4 years to turn this around...W/out him the same.

However, I think Blasi/Granato (either one) would get fans excited. Goal scoring and creativity. Someone brought up how the UW offense on a 3-2 does the dumbest things imaginable, all 3 just skate toward the net, no cross-overs, no drop passes, no creativity...they get one shot off (into the goalies stomach or they miss the net entirely) and then they have to regroup. How many times do you see that over the last 6 years before you're just tired of it?

I also honestly think the fanbase is tired of Mike Eaves' little metaphors and post-game comments about how the team is working hard. He's forgotten UW fired Sauer in part for missing the playoffs 3 of 4 seasons at the end. He's going to go 3 consecutive and 5 of 7 years out of the playoffs. He needs to be asked how he would defend that to an AD who cared.

Apparently in 2002 Jeff Jackson wanted the UW job. I'm guessing Eaves was chosen because he's an alum, leading scorer and all that, and a few years younger. The way Notre Dame plays hockey under Jackson and their recruiting suggests he's got a better long-term plan. No titles yet there but he seems to be in contention more frequently, in the NCAA's 4 of 6 years with what appears to be another strong team this year.
                                Last edited by solovsfett; 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X