• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    fyp
    ha ha ha, yeah John Hill with Dean Talafous as the 1st assistant
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      perfect, that has NC's written all over it.

Comment

IF I had to make a list...

1.) Gwoz
        2.) Osiecki
        3.) Blasi
        4.) Tony Granato
        5.) Don Granato
        6.) Mark Johnson
        7.) Steve Miller
        8.) Steve Rohlik

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Being inside the bubble since '93 (although a Badger fan since '80 when I was first aware of sports), I can say that most fans just want us to take the next step in all three of the major sports. I moved here on New Year's Eve '93, the day before the first Rose Bowl. My first full day in Madison was spent at the Regent Street Retreat watching that game - pretty cool to drop right in for that scene! I digress...

Basketball - At some point you need to get to the Final Four (at least) again. You also need to find a way to not go cold for 10 minutes at a time shooting brick after brick after brick after complete miss. Have a few plays where you get inside and get fouled for ****'s sake. Gotta generate offense in other ways when the outside shot after 5 passes isn't falling. Have Shooter draw something up!

Every year our tournament ends against either a red-headed coach's son who can't miss, or ends when we don't score for the final 15 minutes of regulation and lose 48-37. It's been almost 20 years of this. I remember the days before '93 and I appreciate that we have it better than those who came before, but eventually you gotta take that next step. 20 years of the same story gets old.

Football - Good Parise, where to start!?! Same place really. A bowl berth isn't as exciting as it was in the mid 90's. Not good enough anymore. At some point you have to get yourself to a title game. Do that and bowl berths in between those years are nice accents. Can't live solely on accents though, which is what we're doing.

Sure, this season, we can potentially go to a Rose Bowl for a third straight year (and lose). Yes, I'd rather watch us in the Rose Bowl than the Outback Bowl, but since the BCS Championship game came about, the Rose Bowl has the exact same importance as the Outback Bowl, or Music City Bowl or Papa John's Thumb In My *** Bowl. Just another exhibition.

20 years of various bowl appearances. No apparent ability to elevate the program above an apex set at the Rose Bowl which we only get to by winning the B1G. Is this better than what came before '93? Sure. Is it enough to keep my attention until the Rapture? Not so much.

Hockey - We've been over and over this in our own threads. Historically, we are one of the elite programs. Towards the end of Sauer's tenure, things were off and everyone could see that he was just running on fumes. We all thought that all that was needed to put us back amongst the top 5-7 programs, our birthright, was to bring in a solid coach with the passion and fire that Sauer had lost.

I still believe that should have been enough when you look at all that a UW coach has to work with. Almost NHL size arena, great academics, great small city to live in, a historically elite program, hookers & cocaine, etc, etc, etc...

Without the title that Burish, Els, Gilbert and the rest willed them to, Eaves' ten seasons are just as bad if not worse than Sauer's last several years.

Simply not good enough and I'm not willing to settle for a mediocre hockey program. I don't see football or basketball ever getting to the next level, so for my hometown teams, hockey is the only one with a legit chance to win titles. I'd like to see them positioned so that it can happen every once in a while. IMO, feast or famine is not the way to go.

Fire Eaves.

EDIT (final thought)

If the three programs cannot ever elevate themselves and if the Athletic Department is okay with that, then they are simply treating those programs as cash cows. I get that. I understand the economics of all this.

I'm not interested in donating my money to the Athletic Department. I want something in return. Being competitive and giving me hope is what I want in exchange for a portion of my disposable income. You don't have to give me an actual title, but you have to make me believe that it's attainable, that we're working towards it.

Giving me a reason to wear something red and allowing me to sing Varsity isn't enough any more when I have so many other things that require my money.
          Do you honestly think Wisconsin fans have any right to expect a title game appearance from their football team? You guys are delusional.

Wisconsin finished in 9th or 10th place last year. The expectations for this team were too high, and I have no idea why people thought they would all of the sudden turn into a top 3 team in the conference after their performance last year. Home ice would have been a more realistic goal this season and that is still acheivable.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by tbodin23 View Post
            Unquestionable underachieving.

How come nobody is bringing up the obvious solution. Fire Eaves and offer Gwozdecky a huge amount of money. I wonder if he would think about it...
            This thread was an entertaining read, until you had to spoil it with this comment.

Gwozdecky is 59, but would likely want a 7 year $500,000 per contract.

Guessing it would take $1 million to buy out Eaves.

Is Barry going to commit $5 million to hockey and possibly take that money out out of the football trough? I think we all know the answer to that.

Lets face it, Sconnie doesn't have to spend money to win in the BTHC. Schedule non-conference cupcakes and 12 games a year against OSU, PSU & MSU. 20 wins a year right there.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Lets face it, Sconnie doesn't have to spend money to win in the BTHC. Schedule non-conference cupcakes and 12 games a year against OSU, PSU & MSU. 20 wins a year right there.
              not really gonna work with pwr (maybe bcs )

this is the thing with the upcoming hockey fun. not unlike the SEC in football, there is a prevailing thought that the BTHC will be the tops. strong programs, whatnot.

but like SEC football, there will be haves and have-nots. we can all see UMTC and UM continuing to be the cat's arse. unless they have something crazy like 10 underclassmen leave early at the last minute or have a goalie come down with puckfear we can assume maybe an single odd off-year. but the rest of the time they are going to finish 1-2.

before the sandusky ordeal i would have bet anythin that PSU would become a power in no time. now...... i dunno. wildcard.

tOSU and MSU.... are they destined to be the vandy and kentucky and ole miss of BTHC?!?! i'd bet yes. doing the dg guess and scheduling UAH six times at home and going 6-14 in conference. if only college hockey at a NIT

that leaves Bucky as i see it in limbo to bounce around in the middle depending on the decisions they make in the short term.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

We've had quite a few of these discussions on Maine threads about Tim Whitehead. I think that UW's issues are very similar to Maine in that a lot of the program's 'problems' have to do with systematic changes in college hockey and not with the program itself. For better or worse, college hockey is a lot different than it was 10 or 15 years ago. There is so much parity nowadays that the line between being good and bad has gotten awful thin. I'll throw out a few examples. Maine was one of the top six or eight teams a year ago and is 2-9-1 so far this year. A year ago at this time UNH was absolute rubbish and now this year they are one of the better teams in the country. There are a lot more good programs now than there were in the past and you still only have four teams make the frozen four and one national champion per year.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  Do you honestly think Wisconsin fans have any right to expect a title game appearance from their football team? You guys are delusional.

Typical Goof fan. If JJ Watt comes back for his senior season last year Wisconsin is in the title game. If Wisconsin beats Michigan in 2006 they would've been in the title game.

My list:
                  1. Gwoz
                  2. Don Granato- if he still has something left in the tank
                  3. Osiecki
                  4. Jeff Jackson
                  5. Blasi

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                    Typical Goof fan. If JJ Watt comes back for his senior season last year Wisconsin is in the title game. If Wisconsin beats Michigan in 2006 they would've been in the title game.
                    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      I would've loved to see what Talafous could do with some better players. He had a great record at UW-River Falls winning a national title then made the big mistake by taking the UAA job.

Comment

My list:
                        1. Gwoz
                        2. Don Granato- if he still has something left in the tank
                        3. Osiecki
                        4. Jeff Jackson
                        5. Blasi
                        Can't see Jackson leaving ND, but Blasi would be interesting. He's a Miami grad, but I don't know what he's making there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                          If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...
                          What I'm saying is that they were pretty dam_n close two times in the past 7 years. It's pretty asinine to think that they could never get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            We've had quite a few of these discussions on Maine threads about Tim Whitehead. I think that UW's issues are very similar to Maine in that a lot of the program's 'problems' have to do with systematic changes in college hockey and not with the program itself. For better or worse, college hockey is a lot different than it was 10 or 15 years ago. There is so much parity nowadays that the line between being good and bad has gotten awful thin. I'll throw out a few examples. Maine was one of the top six or eight teams a year ago and is 2-9-1 so far this year. A year ago at this time UNH was absolute rubbish and now this year they are one of the better teams in the country. There are a lot more good programs now than there were in the past and you still only have four teams make the frozen four and one national champion per year.
                            If UW was winning 20 to 25 games a season, making the WCHA F5, getting an NCAA birth things would be fine because the team would be in a place to make a run. That's a totally different thing to finishing in the bottom half of the conference 4 of the last 7 seasons.

Comment

I would've loved to see what Talafous could do with some better players. He had a great record at UW-River Falls winning a national title then made the big mistake by taking the UAA job.
                              No, UAA made a big mistake by hiring him. The players hated him. More than 40 players left the team under his leadership, and that never happened with Brush at the helm.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Can't see Jackson leaving ND,
                                Probably not. I put him there because he publicly stated his desire for the Wisconsin job back in 2002.

Comment

Working...
                                X