Fire Mike Eaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    UW is ****ed whatever they do in the short-term. with the current record, being 55th in the rankings, it would take a miracle to make the NCAA's, and add to that Zengerle could bolt after the season and he's replaced by Besse...essentially nothing changes or it gets worse because Besse needs a year to adjust. beyond that there are no forwards lined up who can light it up. So w/Eaves it would take 3-4 years to turn this around...W/out him the same.

However, I think Blasi/Granato (either one) would get fans excited. Goal scoring and creativity. Someone brought up how the UW offense on a 3-2 does the dumbest things imaginable, all 3 just skate toward the net, no cross-overs, no drop passes, no creativity...they get one shot off (into the goalies stomach or they miss the net entirely) and then they have to regroup. How many times do you see that over the last 6 years before you're just tired of it?

I also honestly think the fanbase is tired of Mike Eaves' little metaphors and post-game comments about how the team is working hard. He's forgotten UW fired Sauer in part for missing the playoffs 3 of 4 seasons at the end. He's going to go 3 consecutive and 5 of 7 years out of the playoffs. He needs to be asked how he would defend that to an AD who cared.
    I suspect that a new coach might be able to get significantly more our of the current lineup of forward grinders and stay-at-home defensemen. To many of these players showed offensive ability in the past, some of them still have to have it and maybe a new voice can bring it out of them again. pithy little saying are great for sound bites but if they are old for us fans I have to believe that they are old for the players also.

Comment

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      I'm sure I'll get in trouble for this, but I'd drive the semi to Gwoz's house myself.
      You'll have plenty of time to shop for quotes for the semi rental. Gwozdecky is under contract until 2013-14 and there's a golden parachute that kicks in on the last day of the contract.

*****http://jackandviv.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/drevil__orig.jpg******
      Last edited by dggoddard; 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Nothing against Mr. Eaves whatsoever, but I do hope that this thread stays alive and near the top pretty much all season long.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Nothing against Mr. Eaves whatsoever, but I do hope that this thread stays alive and near the top pretty much all season long.
          Well, if it is anything like the Fire Don Lucia thread, it will be on the first page or two for about 3 years.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            Well, if it is anything like the Fire Don Lucia thread, it will be on the first page or two for about 3 years.
            Haha, that was then, this is now.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I have to say I find this thread humorous. I mean, since 2005, Wisconsin has one national title and one runner up; that's twice to the final in 7 years. Just two seasons ago, they made it to the final. How many other teams have that record? You've got Boston College, and that's it.
              "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

If you predicted Minnesota-Duluth, Maine and Wisconsin would be a combined 6-23-5 (.250) with an average rank of 52 in the RPI, come forward and accept your praise now...

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I know what you're getting at ... but the best types of these threads are the "Fire Umile" threads that pop up at the same time of the year every season. Long, drawn out threads looking for the axe to come down are boring.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    I know what you're getting at ... but the best types of these threads are the "Fire Umile" threads that pop up at the same time of the year every season. Long, drawn out threads looking for the axe to come down are boring.
                    I suspect that his desire has more to do with the inverse nature of this thread's activity level and Wisconsin's on-ice performance than general entertainment purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      If you predicted Minnesota-Duluth, Maine and Wisconsin would be a combined 6-23-5 (.250) with an average rank of 52 in the RPI, come forward and accept your praise now...
                      What about if you actually believed Wisconsin and UMD would get home ice?!
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        What about if you actually believed Wisconsin and UMD would get home ice?!
                        I would hope that person wouldn't be teaching as with that sort of belief system one wonders if he/she also believed the Earth was flat and that the Sun rotated around it.
                        Last edited by Dirty; 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I think it's a little early for a "Fire Eaves" thread. On paper, Eaves has netted some very good recruits and has built some very talented teams. There no argument that he can coach - he coached a team to the IIHF World Junior championship and has been to the NCAA championship game twice. You don't throw out a guy like Eaves for a few rough seasons. However, I do think he has some shortcomings. First, I think he focuses too much on trying to bring in Wisconsin born players - i.e. trying to imitate Minnesota. Wisconsin doesn't have enough of a hockey critical mass to populate a D1 team with home-grown players, even if it is the only D1 team in the state. Also, he seems a bit autocratic and negative at times and is still dogged by the Leavitt incident. I wonder if some players choose to go elsewhere because of his leadership style. He has lost a few really talented Wisconsin born players recently to other programs. I'd personally rather see Mark Johnson as head coach, but Eaves deserves at least two more seasons to turn things around. It would be nice to see Wisconsin fans get behind their hockey team during tough times instead of being critical and calling for firings. As a long suffering Michigan Tech fan, it's hard not to think Wisconsin fans are overly fickle and fair-weather.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            UW is ****ed whatever they do in the short-term. with the current record, being 55th in the rankings, it would take a miracle to make the NCAA's, and add to that Zengerle could bolt after the season and he's replaced by Besse...essentially nothing changes or it gets worse because Besse needs a year to adjust. beyond that there are no forwards lined up who can light it up. So w/Eaves it would take 3-4 years to turn this around...W/out him the same.

However, I think Blasi/Granato (either one) would get fans excited. Goal scoring and creativity. Someone brought up how the UW offense on a 3-2 does the dumbest things imaginable, all 3 just skate toward the net, no cross-overs, no drop passes, no creativity...they get one shot off (into the goalies stomach or they miss the net entirely) and then they have to regroup. How many times do you see that over the last 6 years before you're just tired of it?

I also honestly think the fanbase is tired of Mike Eaves' little metaphors and post-game comments about how the team is working hard. He's forgotten UW fired Sauer in part for missing the playoffs 3 of 4 seasons at the end. He's going to go 3 consecutive and 5 of 7 years out of the playoffs. He needs to be asked how he would defend that to an AD who cared.

Apparently in 2002 Jeff Jackson wanted the UW job. I'm guessing Eaves was chosen because he's an alum, leading scorer and all that, and a few years younger. The way Notre Dame plays hockey under Jackson and their recruiting suggests he's got a better long-term plan. No titles yet there but he seems to be in contention more frequently, in the NCAA's 4 of 6 years with what appears to be another strong team this year.
                            I would suggest the Wisconsin program give serious consideration to Troy Ward as a suitable replacement for Coach Eaves. Troy was a very successful assistant under Mike, responsible for special teams, intimately involved in recruiting at his time at Wisconsin. Troy has tremendous ties in the USHL, AHL, and the NHL which would serve him well in the role as head coach. His current tenor in the AHL has been highly successful for The Calgary Organization and he is certainly on their short list for a potential HC on the big club should the need arise.

He knows what it takes to be successful at all levels and was instrumental in recruiting a ton of the talent that delivered Wisconsin's last NCAA title.

Just something to chew on!

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                              I think it's a little early for a "Fire Eaves" thread. On paper, Eaves has netted some very good recruits and has built some very talented teams. There no argument that he can coach - he coached a team to the IIHF World Junior championship and has been to the NCAA championship game twice. You don't throw out a guy like Eaves for a few rough seasons. However, I do think he has some shortcomings. First, I think he focuses too much on trying to bring in Wisconsin born players - i.e. trying to imitate Minnesota. Wisconsin doesn't have enough of a hockey critical mass to populate a D1 team with home-grown players, even if it is the only D1 team in the state. Also, he seems a bit autocratic and negative at times and is still dogged by the Leavitt incident. I wonder if some players choose to go elsewhere because of his leadership style. He has lost a few really talented Wisconsin born players recently to other programs. I'd personally rather see Mark Johnson as head coach, but Eaves deserves at least two more seasons to turn things around. It would be nice to see Wisconsin fans get behind their hockey team during tough times instead of being critical and calling for firings. As a long suffering Michigan Tech fan, it's hard not to think Wisconsin fans are overly fickle and fair-weather.
                              Your post went into "adult on Peanuts" mode for me right after the bolded section. It bears repeating: this will be the third year in a row of missing the NCAAs. 5th of the last 7 seasons. In 11 seasons, he'll have had only 5 NCAA appearances and absolutely no conference hardware.

Is it really fairweather to find that not acceptable? Even if it is, it sure beats the pants off of the Jan Brady existence of being okay with it.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                Your post went into "adult on Peanuts" mode for me right after the bolded section. It bears repeating: this will be the third year in a row of missing the NCAAs. 5th of the last 7 seasons. In 11 seasons, he'll have had only 5 NCAA appearances and absolutely no conference hardware.

Is it really fairweather to find that not acceptable? Even if it is, it sure beats the pants off of the Jan Brady existence of being okay with it.
                                Wow. No conference hardware? I didn't realize that. So, the only banner hung was the national title. Wow.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X