Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Mike Eaves?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

    Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post

    The # of NCAA appearances have not been enough. If you're only going to make the tournament 1 out of 4 years, you'd better win it all that year.
    Hello fellow Floridian! Wisco would have to miss the next 16 years before Eaves would get to a 1 out of 4 ratio of making the tournament.

    Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Nice try Wisko. When looking at 5 years that gives you 2 of the patented Eaves "up" years of senior laden teams - 2010 and last year. Use a 4 year cycle to compare win % for Eaves. And since we are on a new 4 year cycle and this year being a disaster, I can pretty much guarantee if he is around for the next 3 years of the cycle the win % will be less than the 2010 - 2014 cycle.

    Also, who hired Bill Butters again? Who's responsibility is that?

    Who has hired the current two assistants that had zero, zip, nada college coaching experience, prior to Wisconsin?
    Don't point your finger at me, I just answered tommyboy's question.

    Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
    What is his record the last five season?

    I'm going to go ahead and assume you know who hired Butters. I realize opinions are mixed on the assistants. In fact I just said that up there. I can give you a pretty good list of head coaches (and assistants) who have had little or no college coaching experience. I'm not sure that is the litmus test for giving someone the job. Both Don and Tony Granato have had zero, zip, nada, college coaching experience as well. Are we striking them off the list?
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

    Comment


    • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

      Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      ...Don [...] Granato [has] had zero, zip, nada, college coaching experience as well. Are we striking [him] off the list?
      Oh I hope not. He would be a fantastic pickup for the Badgers. *tries wiping sarcasm off monitor* I personally got to watch him dismantle a proud AHL franchise, errrm, I mean guide an AHL team fresh off their fourth championship straight into the shi**er, errm, guided them ....


      Well lets just say you could keep Eaves and have less of a headache. But if Eaves IS fired, I sure hope Don is the first call placed by Barry Alvarez.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

      Live Radio from 100.3

      Comment


      • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

        Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        I'm going to go ahead and assume you know who hired Butters. I realize opinions are mixed on the assistants. In fact I just said that up there. I can give you a pretty good list of head coaches (and assistants) who have had little or no college coaching experience. I'm not sure that is the litmus test for giving someone the job. Both Don and Tony Granato have had zero, zip, nada, college coaching experience as well. Are we striking them off the list?
        Don is coaching high school / college age kids and has done well. Plus the recent track record of USHL coaches moving to college is pretty good. Tony has coached NHL teams. Shuchuk coached some U16 teams and ran 2 small ice rinks in Madison. Walsh trained other coaches for USA hockey, I believe and hasn't coached any teams since the late 90's. Hardly an apples to apples comparison.

        One of my top choices for a coach would be Mike Hastings - someone I don't hear mentioned much. I don't necessarily think it has to be a Wisconsin guy for coach and he has proven he can coach in college by turning around Mankato.

        If Eaves should stay, which is apparently how you feel, how about you give us some reasons why.

        He hasn't been consistently competitive, is losing wisconsin kids to other schools, has recruits leaving the program, has recruits decommitting, and he hasn't evened out recruiting classes. On top of that, there is declining attendance and a not very exciting style of play, meaning the game day experience is down too, something I see every Friday and Saturday night.

        Well what are your reasons?
        Last edited by WiscTJK; 01-07-2015, 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling errors
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

        EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

        Comment


        • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

          Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
          I also hope Don would be in the mix,
          Lucia is ours. Hands off.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

          Comment


          • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

            Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Both Don and Tony Granato have had zero, zip, nada, college coaching experience as well. Are we striking them off the list?
            The Granato's are not high on my list. I don't want to hire a name, I want someone who knows the college landscape. I like Oz, Pearson, Gwoz, Blasi, and yes I'd LOVE to have tDon. Who wouldn't? Don Granato would be a great assistant.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

            Comment


            • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

              Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              and a not very exciting style of play,
              Wisconsin Hockey: Where offensive talent goes to die.

              Comment


              • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

                Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                The Granato's are not high on my list. I don't want to hire a name, I want someone who knows the college landscape. I like Oz, Pearson, Gwoz, Blasi, and yes I'd LOVE to have tDon. Who wouldn't? Don Granato would be a great assistant.
                After seeing MTU in person, Pearson would be a good choice as well.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

                EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

                Comment


                • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

                  Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

                  One of my top choices for a coach would be Mike Hastings - someone I don't hear mentioned much. I don't necessarily think it has to be a Wisconsin guy for coach and he has proven he can coach in college by turning around Mankato.
                  You stop that talk right now.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

                    Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
                    Mark Johnson.
                    Andy Johnson

                    Comment


                    • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

                      Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      Andy Johnson
                      Ray J Johnson?

                      http://youtu.be/LztZu5s0-QU

                      Comment


                      • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

                        Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                        Don is coaching high school / college age kids and has done well. Plus the recent track record of USHL coaches moving to college is pretty good. Tony has coached NHL teams. Shuchuk coached some U16 teams and ran 2 small ice rinks in Madison. Walsh trained other coaches for USA hockey, I believe and hasn't coached any teams since the late 90's. Hardly an apples to apples comparison.

                        One of my top choices for a coach would be Mike Hastings - someone I don't hear mentioned much. I don't necessarily think it has to be a Wisconsin guy for coach and he has proven he can coach in college by turning around Mankato.

                        If Eaves should stay, which is apparently how you feel, how about you give us some reasons why.

                        He hasn't been consistently competitive, is losing wisconsin kids to other schools, has recruits leaving the program, has recruits decommitting, and he hasn't evened out recruiting classes. On top of that, there is declining attendance and a not very exciting style of play, meaning the game day experience is down too, something I see every Friday and Saturday night.

                        Well what are your reasons?
                        Interesting summary of Shuchuk's career in hockey, but regardless, the underclassmen now are the first ones he's really had his hands in recruiting and I'm reasonably satisfied with the results there. I think there are at least 6 freshman that can potentially develop into all conference type players.

                        Hastings, Pearson, Blasi, and others are all good coaches, but as an alumnus, I want a Wisco guy coaching Wisco hockey, period. There's no reason not to have one and I think the majority of interested alumni feel that way about hockey. As with everything else, I understand that opinions will vary.

                        The thing that bothers me about unbalanced classes, which is at the heart of inconsistencies year over year, is that although I've studied it upside down and sideways, I just cannot look back and see what he could have done differently short of just not bringing in players that would depart early. I've asked and nobody else has been able to tell me either. It bothers me because although I grant that it is his responsibility to fix, with all the gigantic advantages of hindsight, I can't find the specific mistakes or moves not taken that would have had a positive effect. Therefore I have a fairly difficult time time laying all the blame at his feet. And it follows that it would be difficult to argue that without that, his record wouldn't be more consistent.

                        All Badger fans want Wisconsin to be the #1 program in hockey, win 25+ games every year, and win multiple National Championships. That is a great goal but in the current reality of college hockey there is only one team that comes close to doing that over the last dozen years: BC. No other coach has been able to both win every year, and win a title. I think there are specific reasons for that, but rather than go into them all here, suffice to say I feel Eaves has taken some steps in how he is doing things going forward that can put Wisco back at the top.

                        I asked the question of which program Badger fans would trade places with over the last 12 years. Nobody answered. Maybe they thought it was a trap, but I was actually interested in the answer because I don't know it beyond BC. I'd probably take MN's better overall record after last year's run to the title game, plus the conference titles. But frankly I've never cared about the regular season titles. (maybe because we've hardly ever won them.) I personally wouldn't take UND's much better record but no titles, but maybe some would.

                        Eaves teams have had some horrible starts, but I feel like the vast majority of his teams are much better at the end and play their best hockey down the stretch. Which is what I want. That's how Wisco hockey has been successful in the past and will be in the future. In short, I think Eaves is a known quantity that I think can, given the chance, win another title and I'm not convinced at this point that there's another guy out there that comes in and wins 25+ every year and multiple titles like many fans seem to think will happen. There's just no evidence for it to me.

                        Having said that, I certainly think that you can justify firing any coach after a bad season. I don't think Eaves will be fired regardless of the outcome this year, but it can certainly happen.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

                        Comment


                        • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

                          Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          Interesting summary of Shuchuk's career in hockey, but regardless, the underclassmen now are the first ones he's really had his hands in recruiting and I'm reasonably satisfied with the results there. I think there are at least 6 freshman that can potentially develop into all conference type players.

                          Hastings, Pearson, Blasi, and others are all good coaches, but as an alumnus, I want a Wisco guy coaching Wisco hockey, period. There's no reason not to have one and I think the majority of interested alumni feel that way about hockey. As with everything else, I understand that opinions will vary.

                          The thing that bothers me about unbalanced classes, which is at the heart of inconsistencies year over year, is that although I've studied it upside down and sideways, I just cannot look back and see what he could have done differently short of just not bringing in players that would depart early. I've asked and nobody else has been able to tell me either. It bothers me because although I grant that it is his responsibility to fix, with all the gigantic advantages of hindsight, I can't find the specific mistakes or moves not taken that would have had a positive effect. Therefore I have a fairly difficult time time laying all the blame at his feet. And it follows that it would be difficult to argue that without that, his record wouldn't be more consistent.

                          All Badger fans want Wisconsin to be the #1 program in hockey, win 25+ games every year, and win multiple National Championships. That is a great goal but in the current reality of college hockey there is only one team that comes close to doing that over the last dozen years: BC. No other coach has been able to both win every year, and win a title. I think there are specific reasons for that, but rather than go into them all here, suffice to say I feel Eaves has taken some steps in how he is doing things going forward that can put Wisco back at the top.

                          I asked the question of which program Badger fans would trade places with over the last 12 years. Nobody answered. Maybe they thought it was a trap, but I was actually interested in the answer because I don't know it beyond BC. I'd probably take MN's better overall record after last year's run to the title game, plus the conference titles. But frankly I've never cared about the regular season titles. (maybe because we've hardly ever won them.) I personally wouldn't take UND's much better record but no titles, but maybe some would.

                          Eaves teams have had some horrible starts, but I feel like the vast majority of his teams are much better at the end and play their best hockey down the stretch. Which is what I want. That's how Wisco hockey has been successful in the past and will be in the future. In short, I think Eaves is a known quantity that I think can, given the chance, win another title and I'm not convinced at this point that there's another guy out there that comes in and wins 25+ every year and multiple titles like many fans seem to think will happen. There's just no evidence for it to me.

                          Having said that, I certainly think that you can justify firing any coach after a bad season. I don't think Eaves will be fired regardless of the outcome this year, but it can certainly happen.
                          I am an alumnus, and I personally don't care whether or not the coach is from Wisconsin, as long as he is a winner. Maybe I am in the minority.

                          Not knowing how the season will end I would take the consistency of winning year to year that UND brings. It is just a matter of time before Hakstol wins one. He has good teams every year.

                          I was a big fan of Eaves as he brought tight reins that were needed at the time. However over time my support has waned over time for many reasons that I listed above and the constant excuses for everything. I now believe the reins are so tight it stifles the development of the players, keeps recruits away, or as we have seen legacy type kids leaving the program, or not coming at all. These are all bad signs for the direction of the program, IMO.

                          I am to the point where games aren't fun anymore. The Penn state friday night and MTU friday night games were embarrassing to be at. No Wisconsin hockey team should be that bad. They need to make a coaching change or I won't be renewing my tickets and I have sent in a letter to the Athletic Dept stating as much. This from someone who has had tickets every year since the mid-90's (in college) and both nights the last 8 years or so.
                          Last edited by WiscTJK; 01-08-2015, 12:34 AM.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

                          EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

                          Comment


                          • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

                            I heard a story this season (at least I believe it was from this season.) Eaves called a team meeting in the locker room. He brought in a stack of wood. Flint. Lighter fluid. Matches. The whole 9 yards to start a fire. He set it up in front of the team. The message was, we have everything in this room to start a fire. We just need to do it. Apparently the guys on the team looked at him like he had 9 heads. Obviously the lesson didn't work.

                            Comment


                            • I also don't care if a new coach has ties to Wisconsin. Just win.

                              I was at the hoops game last night. Haven't been to a basketball game in a couple of years and being there in a mostly full house reminded me yet again of just how far the hockey program has fallen.

                              The current state of the program is an embarrassment and the fault for that ultimately lies at the feet of Eaves - whether excuses can be made to appear valid or not. It's past time for a new direction.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

                                I don't think he'd leave St. Norbert, but Tim Coghlin is one heck of a coach.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                                ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

                                Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                                I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X