Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten League?

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Thank you. This is all I was looking for.

I wonder if that rule will be updated when/before Maryland and Rutgers join because i believe the B1G will now have 6 women's lacrosse schools (only 5 men's teams).
    I was kind of wondering that too. It seems likely that the six team rule was written when the Big Ten was an aptly named league, and that when they expanded to 11, it didn't matter because six was still more than half. IF that was the case, it wouldn't exactly be shocking if the rule is now reviewed, since six will soon be less than half. And, of course, if that happens, how would they decide that it affects sports that are in the position that Lacrosse is in.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      No, it's about every time I answer a question about this (which is annoying enough that it is repeatedly asked) dude has to follow behind an point out that one one has been able to find the actual rule in the bylaws.
      Some people have permanent corncobs stuck in their arses.

Comment

I don't think the number six was chosen because it was more than half. I think it was chosen because that's what you need for an autobid to the NCAA tournament. My guess is the rule stays as is...
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by hammy View Post
          section 18.3 - determination of conference champion. a sport is considered a conference sport in which a champion is declared when six or more conference universities sponsor varsity teams in that sport. (snipped additional sentences)

that comes directly from the big ten handbook.
          Holy hell SWEET JESUS FINALLY.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            I don't think the number six was chosen because it was more than half. I think it was chosen because that's what you need for an autobid to the NCAA tournament. My guess is the rule stays as is...
            A fair point

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
              That was my understanding.
              Then again, I have no idea if that is a "hockey only" rule about an autobid, or if it is universal to all NCAA sanctioned championships.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                Some people have permanent corncobs stuck in their arses.
                Trust him, he knows about this.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                  That was my understanding.
                  Then again, I have no idea if that is a "hockey only" rule about an autobid, or if it is universal to all NCAA sanctioned championships.
                  It is, in Division I at least. Men's basketball has a slightly more stringent rule, in that any conference seeking an automatic bid must sponsor at least six sports as a league, with at least two of them classified as "team" sports (in other words, no "basketball-only" leagues), and the league must play either: (a) a double round-robin schedule, where everyone plays every other team at least twice, or (b) a minimum of 14 games (obviously the latter is for larger leagues).
                  UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune:

Big Ten could soon include women's lacrosse
                    Maryland is going to find out pretty soon that they will be playing Big Ten LAX. TCF Bank on it.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      At least, that is what everyone thinks. Nobody can seem to find what the actual rule is. That being said, even if it were a 50% rule, the BTHC was formed when there was 6 of 12 programs. Not only that, but the conference begins play the year before Maryland and Rutgers come in, so the conference would be grandfathered in.

To answer TheMightyJobu's question, it either didn't matter (under the theoretical 6 team rule) or happened too late (under the theoretical 50% rule).
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X