Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Ten League?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Big Ten League?

    My understanding is that, if half of the Big Ten teams play Division 1 hockey, they must play as a league. Penn State would have made it 6 of 12 when they upgraded to varsity. Does the recent decision to add Maryland and Rutgers deep-six this requirement for now, or did it happen too late?

  • #2
    Originally posted by TheMightyJobu View Post
    My understanding is that, if half of the Big Ten teams play Division 1 hockey, they must play as a league. Penn State would have made it 6 of 12 when they upgraded to varsity. Does the recent decision to add Maryland and Rutgers deep-six this requirement for now, or did it happen too late?
    The rule is, there need to be six teams in order to have a Big Ten conference tournament. There isn't a 50% rule.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Big Ten League?

      .
      the state of hockey is good

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Big Ten League?

        Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        The rule is, there need to be six teams in order to have a Big Ten conference tournament. There isn't a 50% rule.
        At least, that is what everyone thinks. Nobody can seem to find what the actual rule is. That being said, even if it were a 50% rule, the BTHC was formed when there was 6 of 12 programs. Not only that, but the conference begins play the year before Maryland and Rutgers come in, so the conference would be grandfathered in.

        To answer TheMightyJobu's question, it either didn't matter (under the theoretical 6 team rule) or happened to late (under the theoretical 50% rule).

        As for how this pertains to future B1G conferences (such as Lacrosse), nobody seems to really know, but everyone is under the assumption that the league bylaws require 6 teams. Again though, nobody seems to know what that actual bylaws say.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          At least, that is what everyone thinks. Nobody can seem to find what the actual rule is. That being said, even if it were a 50% rule, the BTHC was formed when there was 6 of 12 programs. Not only that, but the conference begins play the year before Maryland and Rutgers come in, so the conference would be grandfathered in.

          To answer TheMightyJobu's question, it either didn't matter (under the theoretical 6 team rule) or happened to late (under the theoretical 50% rule).

          As for how this pertains to future B1G conferences (such as Lacrosse), nobody seems to really know, but everyone is under the assumption that the league bylaws require 6 teams. Again though, nobody seems to know what that actual bylaws say.
          It's been in a ton of articles from reputable sources. Both for hockey in the past and lacrosse now. Meanwhile, I have read the 50% thing in no articles. That is good enough for me.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Big Ten League?

            Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            It's been in a ton of articles from reputable sources. Both for hockey in the past and lacrosse now. Meanwhile, I have read the 50% thing in no articles. That is good enough for me.
            Up until yesterday I didn't think a coach could ensure that a play would be not be reviewable by throwing a challenge flag on a play that is automatically reviewed. Had I read the rulebook, I would have known.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              Up until yesterday I didn't think a coach could ensure that a play would be not be reviewable by throwing a challenge flag on a play that is automatically reviewed. Had I read the rulebook, I would have known.
              Yet, if you'd read about the rule dozens of times in articles by reputable sources, you'd have known it too. When they discussed that rule during the broadcast yesterday, I didn't need to look up the rule in the actual rule book to believe it
              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-23-2012, 11:08 PM.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Big Ten League?

                Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                Yet, if you'd read about the rule dozens of times in articles by reputable sources, you'd have known it too
                Can you please provide one source that includes where the rule is in the handbook?

                Because the thing is, if I were to have asked 100 reputable football sources based on their perception, my guess is they would have all told me that the play would have been reviewed.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  Can you please provide one source that includes where the rule is in the handbook?

                  Because the thing is, if I were to have asked 100 reputable football sources based on their perception, my guess is they would have all told me that the play would have been reviewed.
                  I provided 2-3 in the other thread. There are plenty more out there. I suggest Google
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Big Ten League?

                    Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    I provided 2-3 in the other thread. There are plenty more out there. I suggest Google
                    None of the sources you provided stated where the rule was in the handbook.
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Big Ten League?

                      Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune:

                      Big Ten could soon include women's lacrosse

                      Although Big Ten communications director Scott Chipman said in an email that any new conference sports based on Monday's announcement of Maryland joining the conference are "still TBD," the addition of Maryland and likely new member Rutgers would provide the six teams the Big Ten requires to have a conference championship in a sport.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Big Ten League?

                        Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune:

                        Big Ten could soon include women's lacrosse
                        And where in the handbook is the rule? I understand that everyone is assuming that 6 teams is the rule. I want to know where in the handbook does it say that. Considering that you refuse to post a source that includes such information, I'm going to guess that you don't have one.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          None of the sources you provided stated where the rule was in the handbook.
                          My point is, I don't care where in the rule book it is. And using your example, I don't are where in the NFL broadcast the rule you referred to is either. If a reputable source (let alone dozens of them) tell me it's a rule, I take their word for it.

                          Especially considering I haven't found a single article that mentions the 50% thing. Not one.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Big Ten League?

                            Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                            My point is, I don't care where in the rule book it is. And using your example, I don't are where in the NFL broadcast the rule you referred to is either. If a reputable source (let alone dozens of them) tell me it's a rule, I take their word for it.

                            Especially considering I haven't found a single article that mentions the 50% thing. Not one.
                            Have you looked for one?
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Big Ten League?

                              Find me anything that says the rule is 50% of the conference.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X