Yale and New Hampshire at Denver and CC 11/23 & 11/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Great end to end game by CC and Yale, two pretty evenly matched squads. Nice to see Balch get the GWG, he is the hardest worker on the team.
    Congratulations to both the UNH and Yale programs on your very productive weekends. I was impressed by both teams play. Amazing that Yale knocked off #2 and then went down the road and took #14 as well.. Tonight's UNH win was a hard fought win after giving up the big lead themselves the night before. Your boys will have fun flights home tomorrow.

I wish you all a good rest of the season.
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

Re: Yale and New Hampshire at Denver and CC 11/23 & 11/24

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
      Congratulations to both the UNH and Yale programs on your very productive weekends. I was impressed by both teams play. Amazing that Yale knocked off #2 and then went down the road and took #14 as well.. Tonight's UNH win was a hard fought win after giving up the big lead themselves the night before. Your boys will have fun flights home tomorrow.

I wish you all a good rest of the season.
      You guys have been a joy to banter with the last week. Good luck to all teams the rest of the way.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Well, at least we had a much better start for DU tonight; but things went downhill from there. All the UNH goals were the result of turnovers. Can't remember the last time an opponent logged 2 hat tricks inside Magness Arena.....can somebody go into the archives and check that? I don't know about you - but I point to the Denver coaching for this weekend. Let's go back to the Gwoz post-game last night, where he said "we saw this coming; we did not have a good week of practice". Hold it right there = aren't YOU, as the coach(es), held accountable for correcting that, at the very moment you see something going awry? What if the DU Coaches all went out to lunch at Shanahan's one day.... and on the way back, getting into the car in the parking lot, you notice a huge puddle of oil under the car. Do you just get in, buckle up and hope you make it? Do you mention it? Do you talk about it? Instead of driving the car back to campus, do you call somebody? Call a repair shop? COME ON! Nobody in their right mind would just hop in and ignore it!

So what you really said on Friday night post game was..... we knew the team didn't care - but neither did we

I don't know man ~ at this point, we'll be lucky to be a .500 team by Christmas Eve... Lot to work on here
        I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          You guys have been a joy to banter with the last week. Good luck to all teams the rest of the way.
          x2 class of the WCHA!
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
            Well, at least we had a much better start for DU tonight; but things went downhill from there. All the UNH goals were the result of turnovers. Can't remember the last time an opponent logged 2 hat tricks inside Magness Arena.....can somebody go into the archives and check that? I don't know about you - but I point to the Denver coaching for this weekend. Let's go back to the Gwoz post-game last night, where he said "we saw this coming; we did not have a good week of practice". Hold it right there = aren't YOU, as the coach(es), held accountable for correcting that, at the very moment you see something going awry? What if the DU Coaches all went out to lunch at Shanahan's one day.... and on the way back, getting into the car in the parking lot, you notice a huge puddle of oil under the car. Do you just get in, buckle up and hope you make it? Do you mention it? Do you talk about it? Instead of driving the car back to campus, do you call somebody? Call a repair shop? COME ON! Nobody in their right mind would just hop in and ignore it!

So what you really said on Friday night post game was..... we knew the team didn't care - but neither did we

I don't know man ~ at this point, we'll be lucky to be a .500 team by Christmas Eve... Lot to work on here
            Sorry, can't buy that argument. Do you honestly believe that the Denver coaching staff didn't see the issues & try to correct them? I'm sure they saw the "oil leak" & tried to fix it before driving off. You can point out all the flaws & problems but it still comes down to the players listening & then executing. We came out flat on Friday night & then went flat in the 2nd period tonight. That wasn't the coaching staff, that was the DU squad not executing.

I think this team has enough pride it what it has accomplished to brush off the funk of these losses & come back with a vengeance. No one expected this team to be 9 - 1 coming into this weekend & I don't think anyone expects us to go undefeated for the rest of the season. Sure we're going to lose games but in the end I think we'll win way more than we lose. The real question is - Did the DU players learn anything from this experience & will they respond to the adversity in a positive way?

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              Agreed 100%. As a guy who has to spend half his life in MSP dealing with a hodgepodge of Gopher, FKA Sioux, Bulldog, and Badger nuts, my night at Magness was a really pleasant surprise. Good conversation, knowledgable fans, no heckling, just a bunch of hockey heads. Good stuff.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                Sorry GoUNH but I disagree totally....every athlete that doesn't have time to acclimate to the altitude shows it's effect...as I mentioned elsewhere when we skated against the Sun Valley Suns back when, no one from UNH, Harvard or the other Eastern schools represented could go longer then 30 seconds per shift.....personally I'll use these weekend games as a yardstick to see how we might do come April....Go Wildcats!
                I'm still not sold on the altitude contention.

There's an easy empirical way to settle this. Year in and year out, teams have better records at home than on the road. If DU and CC have historically had home win percentages better than the mean, this would support that argument. If not...

New Haven is at sea level, yet Yale wins its two games in overtime. UNH's strongest period is its final one of the weekend, and it dominates overtime play on Friday. I don't see any low gas tank in either effort.

That subsample of just four games proves nothing I realize -- the long term pattern would settle this argument. But the point is being raised here, so just sayin'...
                Last edited by snively; 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Alright you UNH fans who are basking in the glow of a great weekend results....now come out and support the other Wildcat hockey team as the women take on #1 Minnesota today at the Whitt at 2....as we're in the rebuilding stage and have 1/3 of our team freshman, the results won't be what we all want but if you love to watch hockey, here is the best female team in the land, skating as well as any team can....so come support UNH hockey again!

Comment

GREAT showing by both Yale and UNH this weekend against what I believe are two very good hockey teams in Colorado. Yale showed that they can play with (and beat) anyone, answering what I know were many question marks about how good they can be this year. UNH showed that they are clearly legit as a #3 team in the country. Congrats to both teams and both fanbases on an awesome showing this weekend. The two games at CC were extremely entertaining to watch! I am guessing CC will be at UNH next year (not sure whether they will be at Yale), and I am planning to make the trip if that is the case.

Good luck to both of your teams the rest of the way!
                    Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                    -dggoddard

Comment

Maybe I was a little harsh, and out in left field with my after-game comments about the DU coaching; Boone Lives is right. We were supposed to fall to the bottom after Zucker & Shore & Bennett left us..... this was to be a rebuilding year, according to many. And here we are, "rebuilding" at #3 How they bounce back from this will be a huge indicator of this Denver team. The wheels are not falling off the DU bus. Give these guys a chance to grow as a group.
                      I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Yale and UNH were great teams this weekend, and the hockey in Denver was very entertaining. Obviously, not anything like the outcome I hoped for. I think DU played very poorly the first and third periods Friday night, and pretty much total crap the third period Saturday night. And Yale and UNH did what good teams do; they made them pay. I certainly hope that the game against CC in the Springs, combined with the game against UNH will teach this DU squad that a big lead is not a reason to take it easy.

And I agree, it has been fun bantering with different fans than usual. I hope that with the move to the NCHC, we will get more of this in the future.

Comment

Working...
                        X