Boston University @ North Dakota - November 2nd/3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University @ North Dakota - November 2nd/3rd

Freeze-framed it at the 2-second mark of the vid. That is really close. Now I REALLY want to see a better replay.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Either way, if anyone says that the BU guy dove, they are very wrong. It was a hard hit with a good "angle" and would knock any player down.
      I really don't think the BU player dove (he did embellish the injury...he was on the ice for the first shift of the powerplay). However, I don't believe the contact was to the head. Now, I won't really complain about the penalty (didn't during the game either) because MacWilliam didn't need to put the ref in the position to make such a call. That being said, there was a CFB earlier that was called a 2 (which again, I was fine with, as I thought it was borderline), and the refs talked it over for a few seconds before deciding on the minor. In MacWilliam's case, it was an almost immediate call for 5. I'd just like to see more consistency from the refs.

The same goes for the refs refusing to review a potential North Dakota goal early in the third, but then late in the game the refs decide to review a potential BU goal. Reviewing the BU goal was the right call, but why on earth did they not review the earlier North Dakota goal? Would the North Dakota goal have counted? Probably not (due to the whole "intent to blow the whistle" theory...although I would argue that the puck was in the net a whole lot earlier than the referee ever though), but I would have at least liked to see the official review and see just exactly when the puck crossed the goal line, and how that lined up with when they intended to blow the whistle. The consistency of the crew last night was awful.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        I really don't think the BU player dove (he did embellish the injury...he was on the ice for the first shift of the powerplay). However, I don't believe the contact was to the head. Now, I won't really complain about the penalty (didn't during the game either) because MacWilliam didn't need to put the ref in the position to make such a call. That being said, there was a CFB earlier that was called a 2 (which again, I was fine with, as I thought it was borderline), and the refs talked it over for a few seconds before deciding on the minor. In MacWilliam's case, it was an almost immediate call for 5. I'd just like to see more consistency from the refs.

The same goes for the refs refusing to review a potential North Dakota goal early in the third, but then late in the game the refs decide to review a potential BU goal. Reviewing the BU goal was the right call, but why on earth did they not review the earlier North Dakota goal? Would the North Dakota goal have counted? Probably not (due to the whole "intent to blow the whistle" theory...although I would argue that the puck was in the net a whole lot earlier than the referee ever though), but I would have at least liked to see the official review and see just exactly when the puck crossed the goal line, and how that lined up with when they intended to blow the whistle. The consistency of the crew last night was awful.
        RE: the 2-5 decisions. Same thing happened in the MN game last night. There was a textbook 5 CFB that was called a 2 (MSU penalty), and there was a 2 that was discussed and almost called a 5 (MN penalty). Consistency is the thing that fans/players want the most. I did see the BU goal review, and even the announcers said that the refs probably wouldn't have reviewed it, but then the TO was called, so THEN the refs reviewed it. Questionable on the refs' part, to be sure.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          RE: the 2-5 decisions. Same thing happened in the MN game last night. There was a textbook 5 CFB that was called a 2 (MSU penalty), and there was a 2 that was discussed and almost called a 5 (MN penalty). Consistency is the thing that fans/players want the most. I did see the BU goal review, and even the announcers said that the refs probably wouldn't have reviewed it, but then the TO was called, so THEN the refs reviewed it. Questionable on the refs' part, to be sure.
          Thing is, North Dakota called their TO after their questionable goal...still no review.

Again, our CFB was borderline. I could see it being called a 5 (and initially wanted a 5), but after seeing the replay, I thought 2 was an acceptable call. I didn't see the CFB in the Minnesota game, but yes, all I really ever ask for is consistency. If you are going to call something one way early in the game, the players adjust and expect that same thing to be called later in the game (or not called depending on the situation). When the refs are all over the place, it is extremely frustrating for not only the players, but the coaches and the fans.
          North Dakota

Comment

Watching that game last night reminded me of why I love college hockey so much. Two good, evenly matched teams, juiced up atmosphere, speed and physical play both . . . Nice for the good guys to win, but it would have been good stuff either way.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              Watching that game last night reminded me of why I love college hockey so much. Two good, evenly matched teams, juiced up atmosphere, speed and physical play both . . . Nice for the good guys to win, but it would have been good stuff either way.
              Agreed. Both teams played well, and it certainly could have gone either way. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw an early season non-conference game that had the intensity, speed, physicality, and atmosphere that last night's game had. I can only hope that we're treated to another game of that quality tonight.
              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                Apparently BU players are not the only ones that get a little confused about when "points" are awarded...

"I thought we battled to the end really hard there and got a big two points,” Grimaldi said. “Obviously, we’re looking forward to tomorrow now.”
                Grimaldi re-tweeted Rosen's little prediction for his teammates to see as motivation... rest assured that he was just poking a bit of fun at your slow-witted friend Ben.

Comment

Check out Macs hit on these highlights. Shoulder to shoulder and the BUs players head had a whiplash reaction.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...B_OEM_ID=13500
                  Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                    Check out Macs hit on these highlights. Shoulder to shoulder and the BUs players head had a whiplash reaction.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...B_OEM_ID=13500
                    I suggest you look again. Contact to the head and skates off of the ice. Pretty textbook.

If you are going to complain, complain about that no-goal NoDak got screwed on.
                    Last edited by Tater; 11-03-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Wait.....I thought North Dakota won?

In all seriousness, I thought that was a really good game. Saunders is excellent. BU probably played their best period of hockey in the first, in my opinion. I wish they could have gotten a couple by him.

Your arena is beautiful and everyone we've met has been wonderful. So many fans have approached us to welcome us to the game and to North Dakota. It's been fun to talk college hockey with all of them.

I found it interesting how your student section is at center ice instead of behind the goals. I love that you guys have the most highly regarded real estate in the building for the students. Your band was great but I felt they had too much canned music, I wanted to hear more of the band.

Not sure what tonight holds but looking forward to it nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                        I suggest you look again. Contact to the head and skates off of the ice. Pretty textbook.
                        I suggest you look again. It was nowhere near textbook. I'll give you "borderline," but to say it was textbook is just a falsehood.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          Wait.....I thought North Dakota won?

In all seriousness, I thought that was a really good game. Saunders is excellent. BU probably played their best period of hockey in the first, in my opinion. I wish they could have gotten a couple by him.

Your arena is beautiful and everyone we've met has been wonderful. So many fans have approached us to welcome us to the game and to North Dakota. It's been fun to talk college hockey with all of them.

I found it interesting how your student section is at center ice instead of behind the goals. I love that you guys have the most highly regarded real estate in the building for the students. Your band was great but I felt they had too much canned music, I wanted to hear more of the band.

Not sure what tonight holds but looking forward to it nonetheless.
                          More importantly, did you get your martini?

I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the arena...you were at least treated to a very fun, intense game. Hopefully, we see another great game tonight.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post

If you are going to complain, complain about that no-goal NoDak got screwed on.
                            Or the CFB minor call or the other goal NoDak got screwed on... lots to complain about the reffing last night. The thought that the sheppard boys might one day ref in the NCHC makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

Comment

At most, looked like a minor for hitting after whistle. There was no contact to the head, but great job embellishing by oksanen to sell it.

Comment

a couple of thoughts from being at the game

the arena is everything that is said and more
                                Absolutely the most outstanding in North America
                                Two small issues- Jack said at luncheon name 2 things you dont like
                                Everyone has something

The loud speaking system could be clearer
                                Vistior player introductions should have more than the name of player
                                Everyone wants to know who is being introduced, year and home town
                                Should be the same for both teams

As for the game I thought BU never recovered their game after being down 5-3
                                and ND going ahead.
                                Really don't have too much objection to any of the calls

Looking forward to tonight

the shop that displays items for sale is one area BU failed in their new arena

Comment

Working...
                                X