#12 UNH vs. #15 Northeastern: 10/26-27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #12 UNH vs. #15 Northeastern: 10/26-27

First meeting of the year for two teams off to solid starts. Home and home, not many storylines. I expect a split with both road teams losing by a goal or two.
    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Re: #12 UNH vs. #15 Northeastern: 10/26-27

Saw UNH in the first game of the St.Cloud series and they looked good,nice to see Umile get his 500th win,they will have a good year,The Huskies might take both games,they have a bit more in the tank this year,looking to see how Rawlings holds up and if he plays both games,it all hangs on his head,he's got the tools to do it,but can he?,that is the mystery that NU can be,good enough to win the Beanpot,and maybe the National Championship if he's hot,or the basement if he flops,it seems the team feeds off of how he's doing in either direction,I'm calling for two wins for the Huskies,I'm an optimist,and hoping for the best,Madigan has brought some good guys in and deserves a little credit-Go Huskies!

Comment

If the Cats play the Huskies the way I saw them play the Terriers on Saturday night, the Cats should take all four points. If the two post and two crossbar shots had been an inch or two inside, that would have been an 8-1 game.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
        Saw UNH in the first game of the St.Cloud series and they looked good,nice to see Umile get his 500th win,they will have a good year,The Huskies might take both games,they have a bit more in the tank this year,looking to see how Rawlings holds up and if he plays both games,it all hangs on his head,he's got the tools to do it,but can he?,that is the mystery that NU can be,good enough to win the Beanpot,and maybe the National Championship if he's hot,or the basement if he flops,it seems the team feeds off of how he's doing in either direction,I'm calling for two wins for the Huskies,I'm an optimist,and hoping for the best,Madigan has brought some good guys in and deserves a little credit-Go Huskies!
        Love the optimism, but I just can't see the Huskies sweeping this one after last weekend. We'll see, but some flaws were exposed at BC. But again who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          If the Cats play the Huskies the way I saw them play the Terriers on Saturday night, the Cats should take all four points. If the two post and two crossbar shots had been an inch or two inside, that would have been an 8-1 game.
          That means nothing, BU sucks

If we play like we did vs. BC at home, we'll take 4 points. There, just to give you a different point of view.
          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

NU will play close but lose up at the Whit. Much like the NU defense was not ready for a game at Conte on Saturday, having road game #2 at UNH is no improvement. A tough break for the young kids, but it is what it is. Back home on Saturday night though, I think NU comes out on fire, lights up UNH in the first period, and coasts from there, much like they did in their first two games. 2 points each, and we go on our merry ways.

Funny, I was looking up and down the UNH roster familiarizing myself with the squad trying to figure out who the big guns up front are. Normally I can name the first line pretty easy. Not so much this year. No household names up front, but, deep. I do find it interesting that your top senior forward has as many points in his career as our top returning senior, #9. (Not counting Vinnie here since he got the bulk of his points at some county college on Comm Ave.) So no one in particular for NU to prepare for, but it seems like goals can come from every line.

I think UNH will be surprised though at how deep NU is up front with its top 11 forwards though. Our 12th guy barely plays, but the rest rotate pretty consistently. Roy on the big ice sheet with room to do his thing also bears watching.

Should be two interesting games.
            DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

As goes Rawlings.. so will our wknd. He is a Senior.. of course i am putting pressure on him, as he does (hopefully) on himself.
              The rest all looks good.
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                NU will play close but lose up at the Whit. Much like the NU defense was not ready for a game at Conte on Saturday, having road game #2 at UNH is no improvement. A tough break for the young kids, but it is what it is. Back home on Saturday night though, I think NU comes out on fire, lights up UNH in the first period, and coasts from there, much like they did in their first two games. 2 points each, and we go on our merry ways.

Funny, I was looking up and down the UNH roster familiarizing myself with the squad trying to figure out who the big guns up front are. Normally I can name the first line pretty easy. Not so much this year. No household names up front, but, deep. I do find it interesting that your top senior forward has as many points in his career as our top returning senior, #9 Should be two interesting games.
                I agree with most of what you say. We always find a way to lose at the Whitt. While UNH does not have one superstar returning, they have a lot of good players who zip around the big sheet and play well with each other. They also have better than average goaltending and D. We never seem to score more than two or three goals on their lake, so our D had better find a way to frustrate them or we'll leave with another loss. We should fare better at home.

I would be satisfied with a split.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                  Funny, I was looking up and down the UNH roster familiarizing myself with the squad trying to figure out who the big guns up front are. Normally I can name the first line pretty easy. Not so much this year. No household names up front, but, deep. So no one in particular for NU to prepare for, but it seems like goals can come from every line.
                  For UNH goals are comming from everywhere at the moment. I don't have ice time but i think the first 3 lines are pretty even and the 4th gets in there regularly. Stat wise it doesn't help that USCHO hasn't updated to show 3 games played - HE online has all 3.

Right now UNH has 8 players who are scoring at least a point per game, Knodel a D man in that group did play the 1st game (unknown reasons). 15 players have at least 1 point, that leaves 8 guys that have played and not hit the scoring sheet, 4 of those have played just on game, the other 4 have played every game and are the goalie and 3-D men.

Style right now (who knows for how long to relapse) is fast and aggressive, I thought they made both BU and SCSU look slow for long stretches of those games. At the Whitt UNH is as physical as you can be on that big a sheet, and the game with BU got nasty. They are winning battles on the boards at a high rate. Plus they are going to the center of the ice. Of the 13 goals scored so far 11 have been from between bottoms of the circles top of the crease. The other two, one was between the circles above the dots through a screen, the last on a power play nice wrister to the left while moving right at the top of the right circle.

It will be interesting to see what happens for UNHs first game on the road...
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                    As goes Rawlings.. so will our wknd...
                    That says it all, from the NU point of view.

FWIW, I saw both of the UNH-SCSU games on network TV along with stretches of the UNH-BU game (during breaks from the NU-BC feed). I hafta say that I was stunned at the team speed that UNH displayed and impressed with the balanced scoring. Looked a little different from some of the more plodding UNH teams I remember. And DeSmith played like a mainstay D1 goaltender. Should be two pretty competitive games as each team will likely have its hands full with the other.

BU looked awful. Hope it stays that way.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      FWIW, I saw both of the UNH-SCSU games on network TV along with stretches of the UNH-BU game (during breaks from the NU-BC feed). I hafta say that I was stunned at the team speed that UNH displayed and impressed with the balanced scoring.

BU looked awful.
                      For UNH fans it is big question based on what happened last year.

Is UNH really this good or BU and SCSU that bad?
                      Is UNH that fast or are BU and SCSU that slow?

There is so little to go by at this point and for UNH all at home too. Don't get me wrong I am very happy at 3-0 out scoring 13-6. It is so much better than last years 0-3 having been crushed by a combined 14-1... What does it mean at this point is still up in the air. This is true for everyone.

You could say NU beating BC was big. Then BC goes out a sleep walks through the 1st 2 periods against Umass and you have to wonder if in those 5 periods were they playing yet? or still on a hangover.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I've seen UNH a bunch this year thanks to that random Fox Sports package. I've been really impressed. They might have the best offensive defensemen in the league highlighted by TVR, Knodel and Hardowa. NU is a lot faster this year but I can't see us winning on the big sheet on Friday night. Saturday night is a coin flip game IMO, and hopefully solid student support will get the Huskies 2 points.

I would be thrilled with a spilt, the UNH who dominated the HE regular season a few years ago with forward depth, great team speed and reliable goaltending appears to be on the fast track back.
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                          I would be thrilled with a spilt, the UNH who dominated the HE regular season a few years ago with forward depth, great team speed and reliable goaltending appears to be on the fast track back.
                          Agree that NU fans should be thrilled with a split...

Admittedly, I find myself thinking that being so confident in these kids is: a) premature, and b) overly hopeful. Yet seeing the determination and go (even while beating SCSU and BU in a big and bad way) across ALL the lines has me ALSO thinking, "Don't wince at expecting wins!"

Can I finally be an unapologetic optimist without sounding like an unreasoned fool? *grin* My guess is the thinking will stay tentative or grow much stronger after this weekend. (And looking forward to a night at Matthews either way... It's such a fun place to watch the puck fly about.)
                          Last edited by Verkligen; 10-23-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                            Is UNH that fast or are BU and SCSU that slow?
                            Wildcats are legit.. will be tough to beat at home.
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              As goes Rawlings.. so will our wknd.
                              I do not feel that is right. The team has played well in front of him so far, but they are not there yet. The juniors and seniors have done next to nothing on offense since the first game, and the only guy out of that group to score this year did so in the first minute of the first game of the year. I am not counting 91 in that group as I do not feel he is one of the guys who is counted on to score consistently. 74-9-45 needs to start putting the biscuit in the basket. 14 and 79 also need to start finding the back of the net. Roy cannot be the only one generating offense out there. 45 especially is starting to worry me. Seems like the 2nd half of last season where he disappeared has carried over to this year. 6 shots on net in 3 games for a first line forward? Not good enough.

I am hoping this is the weekend where the guys we expect to score, start scoring. The defense and Rawlings have played well so far, but they need this "deep" group of forwards to start picking it up. To me, its not on Rawlings this weekend, its on the offense to start being an offense. UNH is going to get their goals, we are not shutting them out, can NU score enough to keep up?
                              DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Working...
                              X