Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota hosts U-18 and Canisius 10/26-10/28

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    And if the Gophers didn't let their opponents score any goals in the 43 games they played last year, how many would they have won?
    Completely irrelevant to the original statement!

If you want to say, "Holding other teams scoreless will win you a lot of games" then that would be a true statement also.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Completely irrelevant to the original statement!

If you want to say, "Holding other teams scoreless will win you a lot of games" then that would be a true statement also.
      Not really. It was one game. If you want to project one aspect of that game (only scoring one goal) onto the entire season last year, maybe we can project another aspect (allowing no goals) onto last season too. It makes just as much sense, which is none.

Fact remains, it was just one game. One game against a team that played a very sound, disciplined defensive game in which they kept four guys back, clogged the neutral zone, and limited the amount of second chances very effectively. Not to mention, their goalie played pretty darn well.

And we still controlled the puck 90% of the game, had it in the offensive zone 80% of the game, attempted 73 shots, and got 42 on net.

If you think we're going to struggle to score more than a goal a game average this season, you're rudely mistaken. And if not, I'm not quite sure why we're talking about how many games we'll win while only scoring one goal.

It was one game.
      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

By the way D2D, that was directed towards others more than towards you. Just tired of how some have over-blown the results of that game.

Comment

Glad to already see in-fighting amongst Gopher fans when the team is 4-1. Too early in the season to make any kind of accurate prediction how it will turn out, but I believe this team is destined for greatness, despite scoring only 1 goal against a Canisius team that had not given up more than 3 goals in a game* all year.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
            Not if you win you don't, you only have score enough to win which they did.
            How many years have you been watching hockey? A win is a win. If you have been watching any amount of time, you've seen teams that were clearly outplayed win because of a hot goalie or luck. You just need for your team to play hard, and to win. The Gophs did both. Everything is fine. (Although I feel a little pessimism creeping in. Not based on their play, but on the fact that I feel I need to counter Scooby. Is it meth???)

Comment

I don't know . . . if you guys care to hear from a completely neutral observer, I'd say the gophers are circling the drain a little early this year.

But hey, you've got God back in your lives.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                I don't know . . . if you guys care to hear from a completely neutral observer, I'd say the gophers are circling the drain a little early this year.

But hey, you've got God back in your lives.
                Parise plays for the Wild, not the Gophers.

Comment

By the way D2D, that was directed towards others more than towards you. Just tired of how some have over-blown the results of that game.
                  No problem and points well taken; we'll just leave it at that!
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    How many years have you been watching hockey? A win is a win. If you have been watching any amount of time, you've seen teams that were clearly outplayed win because of a hot goalie or luck. You just need for your team to play hard, and to win. The Gophs did both. Everything is fine. (Although I feel a little pessimism creeping in. Not based on their play, but on the fact that I feel I need to counter Scooby. Is it meth???)
                    Not sure why you are quoting me, I think I pretty much just said you only have to score enough to win which the Gophers did. Yes it wasn't pretty but they got the W. So I think you are agreeing with me.

Oh and I've been watching Hockey for a long time.

Comment

It was one game.
                      Yes, I get that. And nowhere in my original posts did I say I was going into panic mode or throw in the towel. What I did say is that I was "concerned". You seem like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Are you still overseas or whatever traveling you are doing? Must be bored and have some time on your hands....
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                        Yes, I get that. And nowhere in my original posts did I say I was going into panic mode or throw in the towel. What I did say is that I was "concerned". You seem like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Are you still overseas or whatever traveling you are doing? Must be bored and have some time on your hands....
                        No, I'm not overseas anymore. Or bored for that matter. A little irritated with the over-reactions, but that's it. There is no reason to be "concerned" at this point. It was one game.
                        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-31-2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

No, I'm not overseas anymore. Or bored for that matter. A little irritated with the over-reactions, but that's it. There is no reason to be "concerned" at this point. It was one game.
                          You're right.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Looking at last year's results, if the Gophers had scored just the one goal in each of their 43 games they would have only won 8 of them. So 'gopher wes' was right when he said, "One goal isn't going to win you many games."
                            How many times did they only score 1 goal last year? The answer is 5. Did you also know that last year that they had an 8-game stretch with 6 games scoring 3 or less and a separate 19-game stretch with 16 games scoring 3 or less including 7 in a row? Yet most would agree this team on paper has more scoring depth, returns every defenseman while adding 2 promising Freshmen at the position and has a budding star in net in Wilcox? Are you really going to worry that the scoring against Canisius (which entered the game with a 0.94 and 93.3) is more the norm (versus the 12 scored against MSU) and not something in between?

Comment

This is the perfect example of the up-and-down, week-to-week, sensational reactions that people need to avoid. It's a long season and nothing is won or lost in October.

Originally posted by @chrismpeters
                              Minnesota downs Michigan State 7-1, outscored Spartans 12-2 over the weekend. Statement made.
                              Not sure what's going on in Minnesota, but there appears to be a bit of a power outage. No. 2 Gophers up 1-0 on... Canisius. After 2.
                              Minnesota will be glad to have won, but a 2-2 tie to the U18 team and a 1-0 score against a one-win team is hardly a confidence booster.

Comment

It's a long season and nothing is won or lost in October.
                                No one is saying otherwise but thanks for pointing that out and posting one person's reactions.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X