Minnesota hosts U-18 and Canisius 10/26-10/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota hosts U-18 and Canisius 10/26-10/28

That game yesterday worried me quite a bit. That Canisius goalie was outstanding, but you still have to bury a couple more chances. Hoping for much, much better results against Kato this weekend.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      That game yesterday worried me quite a bit. That Canisius goalie was outstanding, but you still have to bury a couple more chances. Hoping for much, much better results against Kato this weekend.
      Yesterday's game didn't worry me a lot. Sometimes you run into a hot goalie. I thought we controlled the puck for the vast majority of the game, and played well defensively. Canisius did a great job of clogging up the neutral zone, controlling the front of the net, and blocking shots. Gophers stayed patient and didn't commit any costly turnovers.

Remember BC vs Air Force in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last year? Same type of game.

The offense will come. I'm pretty confident about that. I think Wilcox is our guy in net. I'm also pretty confident about that. What I'm interested in is whether or not we can gel defensively and find some consistency on the back-end. We started off shaky defensively last year too, then shored things up. Gotta find a rhythm this season.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

All the PWR at the end of the year cares about is the W. I am concentrating on that.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          All the PWR at the end of the year cares about is the W. I am concentrating on that.
          Yep.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Not if you win you don't, you only have score enough to win which they did.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
              Not if you win you don't, you only have score enough to win which they did.
              Hindsight is 20/20. Had the Gophers given up a late goal to tie the score, everyone would be saying exactly what I said.

Bottom line: Yes, I'm happy the Gophers won. But the Gophers have more than enough firepower to put up more than one goal against a team like that even with a hot goalie(I do credit Canisius for coming in with a gameplan that kept them in it right to the end, though).

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

2-0 vs. the CCHA
                1-0 vs. Atlantic Hockey

PWR is in great shape.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20. Had the Gophers given up a late goal to tie the score, everyone would be saying exactly what I said.

Bottom line: Yes, I'm happy the Gophers won. But the Gophers have more than enough firepower to put up more than one goal against a team like that even with a hot goalie(I do credit Canisius for coming in with a gameplan that kept them in it right to the end, though).
                  But the Gophers didn't give up a goal. They stayed patient and didn't make any costly mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    But the Gophers didn't give up a goal. They stayed patient and didn't make any costly mistakes.
                    Which is great! I'm not going to disagree with that.

My point: One goal isn't going to win you many games.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post

Agreed. And my point is, it was one game. If we continue to only score one goal a game from here on out, then I'll be more concerned.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota hosts U-18 and Canisius 10/26-10/28

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        2-0 vs. the CCHA
                        1-0 vs. Atlantic Hockey

PWR is in great shape.
                        Correct.

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr/

Of course Penn State is in the tournament along with Dartmouth and Brown but yeah winning NC games is huge come tourney time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Either way, it was a pretty stupid comment, as the USA team that plays in the USHL is primarily made up of the U-17 players.

I didn't watch or listen to the game, but I'm not surprised that the U-18 squad played well against Minnesota. They are very talented. Plus, my guess is that Minnesota did not play up to their ability either. In an exhibition game, all I ever care about is that everyone comes away healthy, which it sounds like happened.

I think that's definitely fair. The U-18 team certainly DOES have some real talent. They played UND and Bemidji State very, very tough as well. They outshot UND 38-19 in the loss. They outshot BSU 30-24, also in a loss.

I must admit I was maybe a wee bit troubled that Minnesota only managed a tie, but Demko did have a strong night in goal for the U-18 boys. The Gophers were actually very dominant in that game during several stretches.

As for Canisius? The Gophers almost entirely dictated play. When a goalie stops 41 shots it's difficult not to tip your cap to him a bit.

It isn't time to panic in MN. The Gophers have real talent. They aren't firing on all cylinders yet... but it's EARLY. It's early and they ARE 4-1-0 after all.

I think fans were way too high after stomping on a very young Michigan State team (and too low after losing a game on the road against a much improved Michigan Tech team).

Calm down, folks. It's a long season.

Comment

It does when your opponent doesn't score any goals. Seems simple to me.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              It does when your opponent doesn't score any goals. Seems simple to me.
                              Looking at last year's results, if the Gophers had scored just the one goal in each of their 43 games they would have only won 8 of them. So 'gopher wes' was right when he said, "One goal isn't going to win you many games."
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Looking at last year's results, if the Gophers had scored just the one goal in each of their 43 games they would have only won 8 of them. So 'gopher wes' was right when he said, "One goal isn't going to win you many games."
                                And if the Gophers didn't let their opponents score any goals in the 43 games they played last year, how many would they have won?

Comment

Working...
                                X