Minnesota hosts U-18 and Canisius 10/26-10/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota hosts U-18 and Canisius 10/26-10/28

Sounds like a good kid and a great hockey player, will look good in Maroon and Gold!

Hudson Fasching is trying not to get too amped up, but there's a reason "words can't describe" how excited he is to play at Mariucci Arena.

He'll play in front of a slew of friends and family. He'll play against future hockey teammates. And his appearance will provide Gophers fans a sneak peek at a piece of the program's future.

Fasching, a power forward considered the finest of the Gophers' stacked incoming freshman class next year, hopes to strut his stuff Friday when the U.S. Under-18 national team plays the Gophers in an exhibition game.

"It'll be a thrill to be out there playing in front of those fans," said Fasching, 17, a former Apple Valley High standout. "It'll be the first time I can kind of show them what I've got. Going to see friends and family, and to play in front of them and play my future school, it'll be cool to finally have fans a little bit on your side.

"Most of the time we're going to places where literally nobody is cheering." He added with a chuckle, "You score, and you're like, 'Well, I'm excited at least.' "

Fasching is considered by many to be the eventual replacement for Nick Bjugstad, who will likely sign with the Florida Panthers next spring. It starts with their similar builds (Fasching is 6-4 and 230 pounds).

"We're both kind of the big, tall guy with blond hair," Fasching said. "That's our thing, but those are big shoes to fill. I'll do my best to play that kind of game and hopefully I can someday compare to him."

Fasching and Bjugstad have been similarly hyped since their early teen years. For example, Fasching's first recruiting trip was to North Dakota after his eighth-grade year.

"They're like, 'We can really see you playing here and working out there,' " Fasching said, laughing. "I was like, 'What? I haven't even played high school yet.' "

One big difference between Fasching and Bjugstad is that Bjugstad turned down overtures to leave high school (Blaine) for the National Team Development program in Ann Arbor, Mich., while Fasching left after his sophomore year. He scored 36 points in 54 games on the Under-17 team. Playing against mostly college teams this year, he has eight points in 12 games.

He goes to Ann Arbor Pioneer High, where he and his teammates have their own lunch room. He trains and skates daily at the Ann Arbor Ice Cube "sometimes four or five hours a day," he said. And he and teammate Gage Ausmus from East Grand Forks live with a host family.

"I've matured a lot as a person and met a lot of great guys that are my best friends now," Fasching said. "The hockey is awesome. Practices here are intense to say the least. Everybody here is so competitive that you have to work your hardest just to keep up."

Said Apple Valley coach Jerry Hayes: "As a player, he's kind of a freak. He already had an NHL body at age 15. ... The strength and the mass he has added, that's what Ann Arbor can do for you."

It was an excruciating decision in 2011 when Fasching left his tight-knit family. His younger brother, Cooper, and sister, Mallory, have mitochondrial disorder, a rare cell disorder that has left them unable to walk, talk or feed themselves. Hudson was a huge assistance around the house for parents, Rick and Shannon. But all four will be at the game Friday.

"In terms of life decisions, this was the biggest one I have had to make so far," Fasching said. "But I have no regrets. This is preparing me for the Gophers, and the NHL is the end goal. Everybody's dream is to get there. Hopefully there is still an NHL after this lockout, my goodness. But that is my long-term goal, and in the meantime, I'll keep accomplishing short-term goals that lead up to that."

Comment

You think tDon told the boys to not have any post whistle scrums or checking from behinds playing against their 2 future teammates? I wonder how tight the D will play against them, should be interesting.
      Last edited by Driftryder; 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM.
      Originally posted by CavalryNate
      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't see any special instructions involving their two future teammates. Lucia knows that his two recruits will have to stand up and not back down, no matter who they are playing against. As far as checking from behind goes, I'm sure Lucia emphasizes "don't do that" regardless of the opponent. The penalty is just too severe, not to mention that serious injury can result and nobody wants to see that.

I'm expecting more of an offensive game than normal, with less hitting than normal. You just hope it's not too free-flowing - like an NHL All Star game - and that the players don't develop any bad habits.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

these u18 games generally get more physical than i expect going into them. for the college teams, it is just an exhibition game. but for the u18 team these "exhibition" games are what make up their season. and its their shot to showcase themselves for scouts. i wouldnt be surprised if it gets chippy

obviously probably not with fasching.. although it seems to me jt miller may have gotten into it with the sioux when he was on the u18 team (maybe a north dakotan could correct me on that..)

Comment

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
            these u18 games generally get more physical than i expect going into them. for the college teams, it is just an exhibition game. but for the u18 team these "exhibition" games are what make up their season. and its their shot to showcase themselves for scouts. i wouldnt be surprised if it gets chippy

obviously probably not with fasching.. although it seems to me jt miller may have gotten into it with the sioux when he was on the u18 team (maybe a north dakotan could correct me on that..)
            It was pretty minor. As I recall, mostly a facemask to facemask chirping at each other with Andrew MacWilliam.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

would be interested in hearing about the hit on fasching. not sure if it was over the top or not, but if it was, no need for serratore to do that.

another season of the gophers taking half their nights off?

Comment

would be interested in hearing about the hit on fasching. not sure if it was over the top or not, but if it was, no need for serratore to do that.

It wasn't dirty, but he got his bell rung.

I think he was probably just held out for precautionary reasons. They're really careful about head injuries.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Not really, the D took off the 1st 10 min of the 1st period (USA scored twice) otherwise it was fine.

USA can really skate, this was a up and down the rink kind of game, no neutral zone defense at all. Was fun to watch, the Gophers had lots of chances but didn't bury them. Their lines were also jacked up, I saw Helgeson lined up at forward on the faceoffs a few times, most of the lines were different. Rau and Skjei did not play.

Comment

Heard Parenteau just has a leg contusion. Should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      Heard Parenteau just has a leg contusion. Should be fine.
                      Yeah when he was limping off I was worried, but then I saw him back out on the ice later. We need him for sure.

Comment

Did the game go final?

Did you tie the U-18 team?

Comment

This tie doesn't sit well with me. But with it being an exhibition with super messed up lines I won't read too much into it. Seems as though it was just practice.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Did the game go final?

Link

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Did the game go final?

Yes we did.

It was a fun game to watch, high energy up and down the ice.

unlike playing the Badgers...

Comment

Heard the news reports that some goats went missing from the Ag department and a crate of hair gel was stolen from the cosmetology school today.

Coincidence?

Maybe the boys were gassed.

Check the river for floating goats!

Comment

Working...
                                X