X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerryj
    replied
    Re: Minnesota hosts U-18 and Canisius 10/26-10/28

wonder who the u18 will call up to replace fasching for tomorrows game. high likelihood it is a minnesotan

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

From Gophersports

MINNEAPOLIS - The No. 2 Minnesota men's hockey program rallied from a two-goal deficit on Friday night in exhibition action to tie the U.S. Under-18 team 2-2 in overtime. Tom Serratore and Nick Bjugstad tallied for the Gophers while Michael Shibrowski made 27 saves in net for Minnesota.

Minnesota (3-1-0 overall, 1-1-0 WCHA) found itself in a two-goal hole after the first period when the Under-18 team found the net twice within a span of 38 seconds in the opening stanza. Vinni Lettieri put the visitors up 1-0 at 16:47 with assists from Connor Hurley and Anthony Louis, and Tyler Motte added to the lead at 17:25 with an unassisted tally.

The second period would be a different story, however, as the Gophers held a 20-5 shot advantage and lit the lamp twice to even the game at 2-2. Serratore tallied the game's only power-play goal when he blasted a shot from inside the blue line past Thatcher Demko in goal for the U.S. Under-18 team at 11:58 of the second. Christian Horn, making his debut for the Gophers, earned an assist on the goal. Minnesota would finish the night 1-for-5 on the power play while the visitors would go 0-for-4.

The game's equalizer came off the stick of Bjugstad at 17:38 of the second when Justin Holl and Nate Condon set up the junior for the game-tying goal. Neither team managed to find the back of the net in the final 22 minutes of regulation or the five-minute overtime period as the exhibition contest ended in a 2-2 tie.

Shibrowski (1-1-0) ended the night by turning away 20-straight shots over the game's final 45 minutes including 11 in the third period - the only period of the night that saw the U.S. Under-18 outshoot the Gophers. Demko would end the night with 39 saves for the U.S. Under-18 Team.

Minnesota continues the 2012-13 season with a nonconference game on Sunday against Canisius. Game time is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Mariucci Arena.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    x2, it was old fashioned, up and down hockey, with lots of great scoring chances for both teams, with an occasional bone-crushing hit thrown in. All the season ticket holder no-shows missed some great hockey action.
    Agreed. This was better hockey than watching the Gophers vs the bottom half of the WCHA, and blows away the crappy overage Canadian team they played. This USA team can skate and make plays, I'm glad we have 2 of them playing for us next year.

Leave a comment:

• jerryj
    replied

how did horn look? did he do enough to warrant a 4th line spot?

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Agreed. It really looked like USA stole the Gophers playbook tonight. IMO when they're on their game like they obviously were tonight, USA can skate with ANY D1 team. Awesome game to watch, I love this style of hockey.
    x2, it was old fashioned, up and down hockey, with lots of great scoring chances for both teams, with an occasional bone-crushing hit thrown in. All the season ticket holder no-shows missed some great hockey action.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Per WCH:
    Good info msoh, he's a California kid listed as having played for the Los Angeles Jr. Kings U16 and with the Omaha Lancers last season. I'm guessing a college picks him up asap.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Agreed. It really looked like USA stole the Gophers playbook tonight. IMO when they're on their game like they obviously were tonight, USA can skate with ANY D1 team. Awesome game to watch, I love this style of hockey.

Yeah, that's how I remember Gopher games being "back in the day" when more teams liked to play up tempo and not the boring trap crapola style Hockey that too many teams do today. It was fun to watch, that's how College Hockey should be played. Screw the neutral zone trap.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    Yeah he played tough, wonder what school (if any) he is going to?
    Per WCH:

As far as colleges, Demko is still leaving his options open, and if he continues playing like he has recently for the NTDP, those options will only increase. The schools he listed as talking with include: Cornell, Western Michigan, Northeastern, UMass, and Denver.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Nice work Harley, that about sums up what I saw as well. They have some nice players on that team (2 of them are Gophers and possibly more ), they are going to destroy St. Thomas tomorrow if they play like they did tonight.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Originally posted by Rtn2GoldCountry View Post
    Is it too late to recruit that goalie? Dang he played good. Especially after getting shaken up and almost having to come out of the game at the end of the 2nd.
    Yeah he played tough, wonder what school (if any) he is going to?

Leave a comment:

• Rtn2GoldCountry
    replied

Is it too late to recruit that goalie? Dang he played good. Especially after getting shaken up and almost having to come out of the game at the end of the 2nd.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Thanks for the info msoh, hear about Fasching at all? Hope our prize is fine.
    According to Granato, they're not sure yet. Hoping he's ok too.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied

I think the Gophers carried play the first 8 minutes, but Demko really played well. USA took control mid way thru the first as the Gophers played pretty sloppy defensively. Tide turned back in Minnesota's favor after the major penalty, but they didn't carry that momentum into the 3rd period, which was pretty even.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Bruise on his knee. He says he'll be fine. Probably out Sunday to heal up.
    Thanks for the info msoh, hear about Fasching at all? Hope our prize recruit is fine.
    Last edited by SanTropez; 10-26-2012, 11:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    He was limping so I assume foot/ankle, but I did see him out later in the 3rd so that's a good sign. Fasching took a pop from Serratore as well, I hope our recruit is fine. He is going to be really good.
    Bruise on his knee. He says he'll be fine. Probably out Sunday to heal up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X