• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SJHovey
    replied
    Re: North Dakota @ Denver - The "Bird" vs The "March" 11/20-21

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
    I just don't think we play that many more freshmen on a nightly basis than any other team in the league...so I don't think we're that young. Younger than some other teams, but not by as much as it's been made out to be this year.
    Also consider that with Chay's absence, Corey Fienhage will be in the starting lineup. Corey has played only 10 games in his career (including this season), the same number as most of our other freshmen.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

I just don't think we play that many more freshmen on a nightly basis than any other team in the league...so I don't think we're that young. Younger than some other teams, but not by as much as it's been made out to be this year.
    Freshmen playing per game by WCHA teams to date:

1. UND 6.2
    2. MTU 6.1
    3. UMD 5.4
    4. UAA 5.3
    5. DU 5.2
    6. CC 4.5
    7. MSU 3.9
    8. MN 3.4
    9. WIS 3.4
    10. SCSU 2.4

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
    the hockey world is small. When I played a spring development league back in high school, I played on a team that played a game against a Blaine team that Brandon Bochenski played on. Years later, I ran into him in Blaine (when he was home for a few weeks during the summer) and we talked about it. Amazing.
    Did you talk about how you sucked at hockey and Bucks didn't?

Leave a comment:

• Sloe Gin
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    These guys are all just college students with a special talent for playing hockey. Sure, we may have a visceral reaction to the jerseys they wear, and the schools they play for as a result of the intensity of the sport, but off the ice, most of the guys that play our game are the kind of fun guys you'd want to hang out with. I am always reminded of this looking after the handshake line after a hard fought series, when the guys get to share a few minutes with opponents they knew growing up, or in HS or juniors, before they leave the ice. The players may not like each other much on the ice, but afterwards, playing college hockey is part of a larger fraternity than just the team....Often times, the same guys that just spent two and half hours beating on each other on the ice are going out for dinner together, or a bar, house party, etc. on Saturday to hang out...
    the hockey world is small. When I played a spring development league back in high school, I played on a team that played a game against a Blaine team that Brandon Bochenski played on. Years later, I ran into him in Blaine (when he was home for a few weeks during the summer) and we talked about it. Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
    I would have never expected Hextal to be so articulate and clever. I guess I pictured him as a goon with talent. After watching those segments, I don't hate UND as much anymore Oh well, I will always have CC!!
    These guys are all just college students with a special talent for playing hockey. Sure, we may have a visceral reaction to the jerseys they wear, and the schools they play for as a result of the intensity of the sport, but off the ice, most of the guys that play our game are the kind of fun guys you'd want to hang out with. I am always reminded of this looking after the handshake line after a hard fought series, when the guys get to share a few minutes with opponents they knew growing up, or in HS or juniors, before they leave the ice. The players may not like each other much on the ice, but afterwards, playing college hockey is part of a larger fraternity than just the team....Often times, the same guys that just spent two and half hours beating on each other on the ice are going out for dinner together, or a bar, house party, etc. on Saturday to hang out...

Leave a comment:

• Dmann
    replied

Hextall. The kid is hilarious.
    I would have never expected Hextal to be so articulate and clever. I guess I pictured him as a goon with talent. After watching those segments, I don't hate UND as much anymore Oh well, I will always have CC!!

Leave a comment:

• ecbrevik
    replied

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
    man Swami, I've never seen you this pessimistic about your team...like Dirty said, you're sandbagging.
    Swami specializes in sandbagging

In reality I think he is just calling it as he sees it. That said, I also think the Swami is a bit of a pessimist

Leave a comment:

• Sloe Gin
    replied

If both Weircioch and Cheverie can't play this weekend, this could be one of the ugliest weekends in a long time at Magness. Without those guys, I can't see DU taking either game from the Sioux, even without Genoway in the lineup. UND is a better team in every area right now than Denver is, save goaltending (if Chevy plays well), which is the great equalizer. Otherwise, the Pios will be likely be roasted by the flashing red lights.

If Murray is forced to play both games and he plays the way he has to date (last place goalie in the NCAA saving only 83% of the shots he faces), the Sioux could easily hang 12-15 goals on the Pioneers this weekend.
    man Swami, I've never seen you this pessimistic about your team...like Dirty said, you're sandbagging.

Leave a comment:

• hunter_hersh
    replied

Originally posted by jk View Post
    All that said, I like UND's chances to be a good team later in the year. When all those freshmen mature, they should be a typical second half UND squad.
    So what you are saying is everyone in the country should be scared. If UND plays a second half of years past they will have an unbelievable record. Also, look at what Merrimack has done after losing to UND x2. They have gone 6-2 in the last 8 games with solid splits with BU and BC. Granted BU and BC are down this year they are still quality programs.

GO SIOUX!

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
    Ouch. If any more bodies go down, you're going to need to strap on the pads and take a few shifts.

By Saturday night, the benches may be like rec league (4 guys huffing and puffing between beers). Coaches pulling fans from the stands, turns into a "fans vs fans" game. Granted that's a worst case scenario.
    We could always get DU great and current Assistant Vice Chancellor/Senior Associate Athletics Director Ron Grahame to come out of the crowd and strap on the pads.

DU Game Notes for this series.

Highlights of Game Notes

DU goaltender Marc Cheverie (left calf) and sophomore defenseman Patrick Wiercioch (right knee) are
    doubtful for this weekend’s series.

UND is ranked No. 2 and DU is ranked No. 3.

Sophomore forward Joe Colborne had a small pin removed from his left index finger last week.

The Fighting Sioux lead the all-time series 129-110-8, but DU owns a 64-49-3 advantage in Denver. The
    Pioneers are 1-3-1 in their last five games against North Dakota and 4-5-1 in their last 10. The teams
    have split the last three two-game series’ in Denver.
    Last edited by du78; 11-17-2009, 09:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Farce Poobah
    replied

Originally posted by du78 View Post

DU injury update from Mike Chambers. Add Matt Donovan to the walking wounded. He broke his finger against Minnesota State, played against UAA the following weekend and was held out of practice last week. He is probable for this weekend's series. Patrick Wiercioch has not practiced and his timetable is unknown. He is doubtful for the UND series. Chevy is listed as questionable as yesterday was the first day he put the pads on for some "light movement" with equipment. Even if Chevy is able to play, my guess is he would only play one of the games. It is time for Murray and the depth players to step up and perform, no excuses.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13803648
    Ouch. If any more bodies go down, you're going to need to strap on the pads and take a few shifts.

By Saturday night, the benches may be like rec league (4 guys huffing and puffing between beers). Coaches pulling fans from the stands, turns into a "fans vs fans" game. Granted that's a worst case scenario.

Leave a comment:

• sfo19
    replied

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    I'm not a fan of using that excuse, but UND is the youngest team in the WCHA going by class age.

Leave a comment:

• jk
    replied

UND is the number 2 team in the country basically by default because they haven't faltered like the likes of Michigan, BU, and Notre Dame's out there have so far.
    Basically my point. They are number 2 by default, not (IMO) because they've proven it by beating good teams.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

UND is NOT THAT YOUNG and we need to quit using that excuse.
    I'm not a fan of using that excuse, but UND is the youngest team in the WCHA going by class age.

Leave a comment:

• sfo19
    replied

Originally posted by jk View Post
    Some of you guys are seriously overestimating UND. They have played no very good teams, and only three games against decent teams (MN Sat., SC and SC) and are 1-1-1 in those games. The rest of their games have been against (with due respect to these teams, but they're not perennial powers):

- Merrimack X 2,
    - MN Fri. (the zombie extras from Night of the Living Dead, or the team that missed the bus to the game, you pick),
    - UAA x 2 and
    - Tech x 2

UND has no business being considered #2 in the country right now, and I won't be surprised if they come crashing to Earth in the next four weeks. They're the youngest team in the league and look it; had they played a tougher schedule, they'd be working to get to .500. They looked lost on the PP without Genoway, and until then had been relying on the PP to provide most of their offense. Some of us fear the experienced Pioneers are going to work UND over pretty well this weekend.

All that said, I like UND's chances to be a good team later in the year. When all those freshmen mature, they should be a typical second half UND squad.
    No offense, but this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. UND is the number 2 team in the country basically by default because they haven't faltered like the likes of Michigan, BU, and Notre Dame's out there have so far. They've lost 2 games -- where do you think they should be ranked? UND is NOT THAT YOUNG and we need to quit using that excuse. And we don't know what our record would be if we played a tougher schedule, your assuming we are going to get worked over by other ranked teams. I haven't been impressed by what I've seen out of Miami either. I don't fear getting worked over by DU. UND knows it's a big series and they are not going to be like Minnesota and not show up. It will be a competitive series with, or without Genoway, Cheverie, and Wiercioch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X