• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoosierPioneer
    replied
    Re: North Dakota @ Denver - The "Bird" vs The "March" 11/20-21

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
    Apparently you haven't cheered hard enough lately since your 0-3-3 against CC in the last six games.
    7 is still more than 2, and 4 is less than 52.

Leave a comment:

• dave29
    replied

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
    I'm ready for this weekend to be over. Finals, work, crazy stressful series...

At least CC is easy to cheer against- 7 >2

Not so easy with the guys in green.
    Apparently you haven't cheered hard enough lately since your 0-3-3 against CC in the last six games.

Leave a comment:

• HoosierPioneer
    replied

Originally posted by Busua View Post
    Would someone please drop the puck already?
    I'm ready for this weekend to be over. Finals, work, crazy stressful series...

At least CC is easy to cheer against- 7 >2

Not so easy with the guys in green.

Leave a comment:

• Busua
    replied

Would someone please drop the puck already?

Leave a comment:

• HoosierPioneer
    replied

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    Except that game UND dominated DU and the Pioneers winning was nearly a miracle. Plus last night's game won't ruin two weeks of my life.
    I do always feel like DU is the underdog playing UND, and I'm always nervous about what mistakes the Sioux will punish you for next. Without Chevy and some posts, those mistakes make it a different game. I think that's the best way to describe the Sioux- forget the speed, size, tenacity, "physical play," the superlative is that they punish you if you don't play perfectly. And sometimes even when you do.

It was interesting to hear that coming into the series, UND fans were hoping for a split as well- I was desperate for a split coming in, even with Chevy in net given our performances against the Sioux in recent regular season play.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Friday night's game reminded me of this.
    Except that game UND dominated DU and the Pioneers winning was nearly a miracle. Plus last night's game won't ruin two weeks of my life.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Friday night's game reminded me of this.

Leave a comment:

• Siouxfaninseattle
    replied

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    Chevy was AWE-SOME
    He seems to bring out the best in the team when he is in goal.

Noone can say a low scoring game is dull when its DU vs UND.
    Agreed. It seems like the last few goalies (Mannino comes to mind) save their best games for the Sioux.

Leave a comment:

• vizoroo
    replied

Chevy was AWE-SOME
    He seems to bring out the best in the team when he is in goal.

Noone can say a low scoring game is dull when its DU vs UND.

Leave a comment:

• A Shot and a Goal
    replied

My wife and I are longtime DU season ticket holders. We attended last night's game and enjoyed chatting back and forth with two young North Dakota fans [we are old enough to be their parents, they are young enough to be our sons] who sat directly in front of us. I spoke with them about many of the great Sioux players I remember watching from the early 1960s onward and the young men were happy to hear some tales of players who played for North Dakota 'way back when.'

During a stoppage in play shortly before Drew Shore scored the game's only goal, I kidded the two fans in front of us that North Dakota needed to get Derrick LaPoint some help so he could get off the ice. It seemed to me in the first thirty minutes of the game LaPoint played eighteen minutes as he helped the Sioux kill penalties and played--what seemed to me to be--every other shift.

I realize LaPoint is not a prolific scorer, but last night he impressed me with consistently solid defensive play in his own zone, the manner in which he played the body before playing the puck and the opportunities he had to help the Sioux start breaking out of their own end once they had gained control of the puck. He played a steady game, didn't take unnecessary chances to pursue Denver players [which may have left Eidsness vulnerable to scoring chances] and in general, played a very heady game.

Chay Genoway [and Denver's Patrick Wiercioch] neither of whom played last night, may be the kind of players who bring people out of their seats with length-of-the-rink, puck-carrying sorties, but the play demonstrated by LaPoint [and also by Denver's Chris Nutini] last night are the kind of efforts which lead to season-long success by their teams. LaPoint was most impressive last night and his play did not go unnoticed.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

Originally posted by PioneerPhanatic View Post
    I did take some some crap from my fellow DU fans for drinking the pitcher of green beer that a Sioux fan was kind enough to buy me at the bar before the game.
    It's OK, I guess. After it is completely out of your system, you will be in full acceptance again.

Sorry I didn't make The Stadium last night. The wife almost broke her leg recently and isn't feeling too well, so I took the high road (like you are supposed to do when offered cerveza verde) and decided to go home to check on her.

Leave a comment:

• rep_the_CO
    replied

Though after behavior of UND fans at tonight's game- rude gestures, obscene language, and threats to the student section, in front of small children- I'm rescinding my previous statement. The ladies with the big hair and green windbreakers are way nicer than the drunks, who took UND down another notch in my book.

Yeah, those Sioux fans were definitely getting chippy towards the student section. I probably saw five people get kicked out. There was also a fight in the concourse after the final horn. It was raucous!

At one point I heard someone say, "Com'mon guys, go easy on them.... they live in NORTH DAKOTA!!!"

hahahaha

Leave a comment:

• PioneerPhanatic
    replied

What a fun game to watch. I'm very mad I won't be able to go tonight. I also thought the call was correct after watching the replay on the TV in the concourse and again on TV when I got home. If it was called a goal on the ice then it should have stood as well. Just not enough evidence to overturn the call either way.

I also had fun with the Sioux fans who were all (at least the ones I ran into) good natured for a change. I did take some some crap from my fellow DU fans for drinking the pitcher of green beer that a Sioux fan was kind enough to buy me at the bar before the game.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
    Final exams on a Saturday? What kind of school gives final exams on a Saturday?
    A school that has actually won championships in the past 50+ years.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
    I was sitting right behind the goal, saw the net come off before the puck crossed the goal line. However, with how long they were taking to replay it, I thought it was going to be reversed.

I've been to probably a dozen various games at Magness now. That's the loudest I've ever heard the building. DU's fans should come out more regularly.
    On TV they showed a number of video replays from various angles and it was impossible to tell if the puck went in before the net came off. In most of the replays the puck was not visible until it was well into the back of the net as it was coming off. Good call by the refs as they had no clear cut proof to overturn their non-goal call. The refs told Gwoz the puck disappeared under the goalies pad, which also happened to be in the net, but they couldn't tell if it crossed the lined before the net became unhinged.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X