Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Dakota @ Denver - The "Bird" vs The "March" 11/20-21

Originally posted by PioneerPhanatic View Post
    I did take some some crap from my fellow DU fans for drinking the pitcher of green beer that a Sioux fan was kind enough to buy me at the bar before the game.
    It's OK, I guess. After it is completely out of your system, you will be in full acceptance again.

Sorry I didn't make The Stadium last night. The wife almost broke her leg recently and isn't feeling too well, so I took the high road (like you are supposed to do when offered cerveza verde) and decided to go home to check on her.

Comment

My wife and I are longtime DU season ticket holders. We attended last night's game and enjoyed chatting back and forth with two young North Dakota fans [we are old enough to be their parents, they are young enough to be our sons] who sat directly in front of us. I spoke with them about many of the great Sioux players I remember watching from the early 1960s onward and the young men were happy to hear some tales of players who played for North Dakota 'way back when.'

During a stoppage in play shortly before Drew Shore scored the game's only goal, I kidded the two fans in front of us that North Dakota needed to get Derrick LaPoint some help so he could get off the ice. It seemed to me in the first thirty minutes of the game LaPoint played eighteen minutes as he helped the Sioux kill penalties and played--what seemed to me to be--every other shift.

I realize LaPoint is not a prolific scorer, but last night he impressed me with consistently solid defensive play in his own zone, the manner in which he played the body before playing the puck and the opportunities he had to help the Sioux start breaking out of their own end once they had gained control of the puck. He played a steady game, didn't take unnecessary chances to pursue Denver players [which may have left Eidsness vulnerable to scoring chances] and in general, played a very heady game.

Chay Genoway [and Denver's Patrick Wiercioch] neither of whom played last night, may be the kind of players who bring people out of their seats with length-of-the-rink, puck-carrying sorties, but the play demonstrated by LaPoint [and also by Denver's Chris Nutini] last night are the kind of efforts which lead to season-long success by their teams. LaPoint was most impressive last night and his play did not go unnoticed.
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Chevy was AWE-SOME
        He seems to bring out the best in the team when he is in goal.

Noone can say a low scoring game is dull when its DU vs UND.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          Chevy was AWE-SOME
          He seems to bring out the best in the team when he is in goal.

Noone can say a low scoring game is dull when its DU vs UND.
          Agreed. It seems like the last few goalies (Mannino comes to mind) save their best games for the Sioux.
          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Friday night's game reminded me of this.
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
              Friday night's game reminded me of this.
              Except that game UND dominated DU and the Pioneers winning was nearly a miracle. Plus last night's game won't ruin two weeks of my life.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                Except that game UND dominated DU and the Pioneers winning was nearly a miracle. Plus last night's game won't ruin two weeks of my life.
                I do always feel like DU is the underdog playing UND, and I'm always nervous about what mistakes the Sioux will punish you for next. Without Chevy and some posts, those mistakes make it a different game. I think that's the best way to describe the Sioux- forget the speed, size, tenacity, "physical play," the superlative is that they punish you if you don't play perfectly. And sometimes even when you do.

It was interesting to hear that coming into the series, UND fans were hoping for a split as well- I was desperate for a split coming in, even with Chevy in net given our performances against the Sioux in recent regular season play.
                University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Would someone please drop the puck already?

Comment

Originally posted by Busua View Post
                    Would someone please drop the puck already?
                    I'm ready for this weekend to be over. Finals, work, crazy stressful series...

At least CC is easy to cheer against- 7 >2

Not so easy with the guys in green.
                    University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                    Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                      I'm ready for this weekend to be over. Finals, work, crazy stressful series...

At least CC is easy to cheer against- 7 >2

Not so easy with the guys in green.
                      Apparently you haven't cheered hard enough lately since your 0-3-3 against CC in the last six games.

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                        Apparently you haven't cheered hard enough lately since your 0-3-3 against CC in the last six games.
                        7 is still more than 2, and 4 is less than 52.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                          Apparently you -- or any other cc fan -- hasn't cheered hard enough since 1957....

Comment

Any word on Weircoch tonight?
                            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                              Any word on Weircoch tonight?
                              It doesn't really matter with Chevy in the net.
                              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                                It doesn't really matter with Chevy in the net.
                                I think it does if any of those posts turn into goals. If they do, DU can't count on 1 for 7 ppg to win again.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Working...
                                X