Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUSCHWI
    replied
    Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    to be honest, I'd forgotten that 7-6 game but it was good to see the end now to give me perspective...

I couldn't describe it better Burd re: the 2000 games, you are referring to the Hukalo weekend where UW and Nodak just went at it hammer and tong for 120+ minutes and with all the great players Nodak had (Hoogsteenx2, Panzerx2) and Heatley and Rhino on UW it came down to OT each night and the diminutive Hukalo benefited greatly by being paired w/Heater and Rhino.

I was at that saturday night game. an amazing weekend for the rivalry and as such a testament (imo) as to why we need Nodak, UW and MN to be in the top 10 annually. If the result was Nodak winning on a panzer or hoogsteen goal each night I would have felt bad as a fan of UW but would have sincerely acknowledged 2 well-played hockey games against a fierce rival and would still be holding those memories the same as I do a bitter 3-2 loss to Minnesota in Madison where the teams were evenly matched somewhere between 90-92 and I recall Derksen making a save and coming out of his net to show the minnesota/rat player the puck and skating behind the next behind him yelling at him...

joyous times these rivalries!
    Originally posted by burd View Post
    I was at that game. As a Sioux fan, of course, I was feeling pretty cocky, but once the Badgers got to within 2, you just knew they were going to win it. The crowd was going nuts and really energized the Badguys.

I know I've brought this series up before on this site, but that weekend in January 2000 when the Sioux came to Madison was very speciaL too, and I've been thinking of those games sometimes when I've read this thread. Sauer and Blais reportedly (their account) exchanged a look Friday night before the puck dropped because they both recognized how electric the crowd was. The Sioux and Badgers were tied for first place, I think. Heatley was tearing up the league, and Jeff Panzer was doing his thing for the Sioux. Turns out those two games delivered big time, with two sudden death and near identical finishes. Leaving the Herb on Firday night after what should have been a very disappointing loss, I remember feeling like that was one of the best and most exciting games I'd ever seen. The hockey was up-and-down, the crowd was intense but having fun, and the ending was suspenseful and joyous for the home crowd. College hockey at its best at a great venue.

So, I'm thinking of those games when I'm reading how down Badger fans feel about Badger hockey. Thinking too how they need to get it going again.
    I was at these games (the 7-6 game and the Saturday Hukalo OT winner game). What fantastic hockey. This brings back such great memories and an even deeper realization of how far we've fallen. You're right: we need to get it going again no matter what.

Leave a comment:

• crossjcek
    replied
    Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

not that you guys want to relive this weekend but does anyone have a link to highlights. I checked the UW site and found nothing. Does FOX not allow the usage?

Leave a comment:

• TUSCHWI
    replied

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    It's not the besse and zengerle type super elite players that are the problem, it's landing the Adam Burish and Jake Dowell type players out of Wisconsin. Where are those type of players? The upper teen to 20 goal scorers? They still come out of Wisconsin but they play for other teams.
    This is exactly right and it bugs the crap out of me. I can live with Condon going to Minnesota but when Pavelski's brother is playing for New Hampshire, John Taft's son playing for CC....***?! amd there are others too that aren't' coming to mind at the moment, that to me is just more evidence of a deep problem with the current coaching staff.

Leave a comment:

• HoosierBBall_GopherHockey
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I was at that game. Certainly one of the 5 best hockey games I've been to personally. I was still in school at UND at the time. I've always considered it to be the true national championship game from 1983, the way the two schools kept trading championships during those years. When I try to explain it to people it's impossible to accurately describe the rollercoaster of emotions. The game seemed both won and lost in regulation. Go into the 3rd overtime. The pain of an overtime goal, only to see it overturned because of an illegal stick. Are you kidding me? Then, a powerplay on top of that, ony to pizz it away on a friggin' shorthanded goal. I'm pretty certain I'll never see something like that again.

I just don't recall whether that game was broadcast locally. At the time Ed Schultz of the Fargo tv station (yes, it's that Ed Schultz) was trying to get some of the UND-UW contests during the regular season telecast. But I just don't recall whether someone did that playoff game or not.

Good luck. I'd certainly be interested in hearing whether you find a copy.
    Ok, now THAT is cool.

Leave a comment:

• gwhinwi
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I was at that game. Certainly one of the 5 best hockey games I've been to personally. I was still in school at UND at the time. I've always considered it to be the true national championship game from 1983, the way the two schools kept trading championships during those years. When I try to explain it to people it's impossible to accurately describe the rollercoaster of emotions. The game seemed both won and lost in regulation. Go into the 3rd overtime. The pain of an overtime goal, only to see it overturned because of an illegal stick. Are you kidding me? Then, a powerplay on top of that, ony to pizz it away on a friggin' shorthanded goal. I'm pretty certain I'll never see something like that again.

I just don't recall whether that game was broadcast locally. At the time Ed Schultz of the Fargo tv station (yes, it's that Ed Schultz) was trying to get some of the UND-UW contests during the regular season telecast. But I just don't recall whether someone did that playoff game or not.

When people ask me how I became a hockey fan, I always point to that game. I remember watching it at a friends house and they had a TV on in every single room to make sure that no matter where we went in the house, we wouldn't miss a second of the action.

I still get goosebumps when I think of that 3rd period. Seriously? An illegal stick?

I will let you know if I am able to track a copy down.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
    There are a few games that I would love to see again. The one that I have wanted to see again, since I was 8 years old... was the triple overtime game between the Badgers and North Dakota from 1983 from the 2nd round of the WCHA playoffs. I'm positive that no one has that game, but keep hoping to find it.

Leave a comment:

• gwhinwi
    replied

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
    I would suggest you go to the Sioux board. There was a guy there that had just about every Sioux game ever televised from the late 70's on. Quite a few years back, I traded both North Dakota-Wisconsin overtime 2000 games for the 1998 UW-UND Final Five championship and another title game from the mid-80's. If that 1983 game was televised it's highly probable he has it. Not sure if he posts on uscho anymore, but I'm guessing most Sioux fans know who the guy is and direct you who to contact. I believe he also has a website with a comprehensive list of all the games he has.
    Thanks for the info on that. It was on local TV here back in the early 80's (Channel 3 more than likely.) I'll see what I can find over there.

Leave a comment:

• sweatpants
    replied

There are a few games that I would love to see again. The one that I have wanted to see again, since I was 8 years old... was the triple overtime game between the Badgers and North Dakota from 1983 from the 2nd round of the WCHA playoffs. I'm positive that no one has that game, but keep hoping to find it.

I would suggest you go to the Sioux board. There was a guy there that had just about every Sioux game ever televised from the late 70's on. Quite a few years back, I traded both North Dakota-Wisconsin overtime 2000 games for the 1998 UW-UND Final Five championship and another title game from the mid-80's. If that 1983 game was televised it's highly probable he has it. Not sure if he posts on uscho anymore, but I'm guessing most Sioux fans know who the guy is and direct you who to contact. I believe he also has a website with a comprehensive list of all the games he has.
    Last edited by sweatpants; 11-26-2012, 02:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gwhinwi
    replied

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Hey buddy old pal, I don't have the Cornell triple OT game.....
    Trades could be worked out. I also have the entire 2006 Frozen Four in HD. Haven't seen that anywhere else before.

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    I was out in new Hampshire at the time and I listened to the game on the radio, I've had the game on DVD for years and I've NEVER watched it.

I have a whole bunch of games from that year, both of the woman's F4 games, and a 4 of the 1980 Olympic games around here some where (unless they got tossed during one of my moves).
    I have a 4 DVD set of the 1980 Olympics as well. There is some awesome footage from those games. Quite a different game back then.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied
    Here's an item at BestBuy that does the same thing.

A friend and I have copies of almost all of the title games, along with both regionals in 2006 (That Cornell 3-OT game still gives me goose bumps to think about. Glad I was there... and glad my wife kept the DVR running to record the whole thing.)
    I was out in new Hampshire at the time and I listened to the game on the radio, I've had the game on DVD for years and I've NEVER watched it.

I have a whole bunch of games from that year, both of the woman's F4 games, and a 4 of the 1980 Olympic games around here some where (unless they got tossed during one of my moves).

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

A friend and I have copies of almost all of the title games, along with both regionals in 2006 (That Cornell 3-OT game still gives me goose bumps to think about. Glad I was there... and glad my wife kept the DVR running to record the whole thing.)
    Hey buddy old pal, I don't have the Cornell triple OT game.....

Leave a comment:

• gwhinwi
    replied

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I think I found a small company in Madison that will digitize from VHS to DVD, I'm asking about it today and will let you know.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I was thinking about this also in the last 24 hrs. I wanted to look at the cummulative season stats, but they are not up on the UWBADgers site, just the game summeries are. This is very annoying.

I have a ton of 90's games on DVD (including the 1990 championship game and the 1992 semi vs Mechigan), but I have no idea how to digitize them. And even if I knew how to, I'm not sure I have the time. But maybe I'll look into it as I'd like to also digitize my Iron Chef and F1/Indy collections.
    I think I found a small company in Madison that will digitize from VHS to DVD, I'm asking about it today and will let you know.

Leave a comment:

• Gandalf the Red
    replied

I was in Louisiana the last two weekends and am rather happy I didn't have to actually endure any Badger Hockey. Rough.

Leave a comment:

• wjefwhite
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    I was at that game. As a Sioux fan, of course, I was feeling pretty cocky, but once the Badgers got to within 2, you just knew they were going to win it. The crowd was going nuts and really energized the Badguys.

I know I've brought this series up before on this site, but that weekend in January 2000 when the Sioux came to Madison was very speciaL too, and I've been thinking of those games sometimes when I've read this thread. Sauer and Blais reportedly (their account) exchanged a look Friday night before the puck dropped because they both recognized how electric the crowd was. The Sioux and Badgers were tied for first place, I think. Heatley was tearing up the league, and Jeff Panzer was doing his thing for the Sioux. Turns out those two games delivered big time, with two sudden death and near identical finishes. Leaving the Herb on Firday night after what should have been a very disappointing loss, I remember feeling like that was one of the best and most exciting games I'd ever seen. The hockey was up-and-down, the crowd was intense but having fun, and the ending was suspenseful and joyous for the home crowd. College hockey at its best at a great venue.

So, I'm thinking of those games when I'm reading how down Badger fans feel about Badger hockey. Thinking too how they need to get it going again.
    I was there to as a Bucky fan. That one against NoDak and the Robbie Earl Hat Trick OT winner game were the 2 best I have seen at the KOHL. Sitting there last night makes me very sad what this program has been reduced to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X