Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    That's another topic entirely from what I was talking about, but I don't disagree with your point that Eaves goal first and foremost is to put together a lineup that produces wins at this level. But as John Calipari said, one of the best days in Kentucky basketball was when he had 5 guys go in the first round. Kids want to play for coaches that put players in the NHL, and Eaves track record in that department is second to none. So, I don't think it should be overlooked, but the goal is, and always will be to bring national championships to the University of Wisconsin first. I don't think Eaves has lost sight of that, yet. That said, I do think he's focused on bringing in more four year players.
    I get all that. But how many NHL players has Jerry York "produced" in the past 10 years compared to Mike Eaves? And who has been more successful in the NCAA the past 10 years?

And I highlighted "produced" because I think a majority of the high-end talent that comes thru college hockey will succeed in the NHL regardless of who coaches them.

As nice as it is to see guys like Kyle Okposo, Phil Kessel, Erik Johnson, Nick Leddy, etc... doing well in the NHL, losing them after only a year (little more for Okposo) really hurt because it forced tDon to bring in guys before they were ready. Sound familiar?

I'll take Jerry York's approach any day.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

I don't have the exact figures, but the number of BC players in the NHL from the York era is actually pretty high--higher than most would think. Might be at an all time high in regard to the history of BC hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        I don't have the exact figures, but the number of BC players in the NHL from the York era is actually pretty high--higher than most would think. Might be at an all time high in regard to the history of BC hockey.
        Not as high as other programs though. I don't recall too many one-and-done guys recently at BC either.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
          Not as high as other programs though. I don't recall too many one-and-done guys recently at BC either.
          Eaves has had 1 one-and-done while he has been at UW. For the most part, players who have left UW early for the NHL have stepped into regular spots on NHL rosters. If anything, it appears that Eaves tries to recruit replacements as opposed to promoting existing players on the roster. The great college coaches understand the value in developing young forwards into top 6 forwards as upperclassmen, Eaves tends to "slot" players as recruits/freshmen and they stay in those predefined slots until they leave UW. At least that is the impression that I have developed over the last decade of watching Eaves lead the program.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            You're right that BC doesn't have many one year players, but I think you're overstating the # of one and dones from the top teams around the country. Looks like UW has only had one under Eaves.

As for the number of NHLers:

http://www.uscho.com/2012/04/10/ncaa...-11-12-season/

And I believe that 21 was before Kreider suited up for the Rangers in the playoffs. So, call it 22...tied for 2nd with Wisconsin and only one behind Michigan.

Comment

You're right that BC doesn't have many one year players, but I think you're overstating the # of one and dones from the top teams around the country. Looks like UW has only had one under Eaves.

As for the number of NHLers:

http://www.uscho.com/2012/04/10/ncaa...-11-12-season/

And I believe that 21 was before Kreider suited up for the Rangers in the playoffs. So, call it 22...tied for 2nd with Wisconsin and only one behind Michigan.
              I just listed 4 that Minnesota had in a few year span. And I know I'm missing at least a few more. Count 2-and-dones and it increases even more.

Not a shot at BC at all. Don Lucia has praised York publicly for recruiting guys who don't bolt after 1-2 years many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                Eaves has had 1 one-and-done while he has been at UW.
                Minor fact check on this one, since more than one has pointed it out:

Eaves has had two. Ryan Suter and Kyle Turris.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I guess the point I'm making is you can recruit three and four year players who still go on to the NHL.

That's the balance any program should look for.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    I guess the point I'm making is you can recruit three and four year players who still go on to the NHL.

That's the balance that every program looks for. Unfortunately you get hamstrung once in a while by circumstance. Losing guys like Justin Schultz after three years is expected, and you can live with that. However, losing guys like Stepan and Craig Smith after two years, especially with how late they left in the summer is an absolute back-breaker.

This is a topic we've discussed multiple times.

Comment

Oh I dont disagree with that, I was referring to jdubbs stance on BC. they've been able to produce as many nhlers as any other program even with the majority of those players staying three years.

Comment

You can, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to do. Especially if you recruit guys that come in nearly ready to step into the NHL. The Bjugstads and Kreiders who stick around 3 years when they could have made the leap after 2 is rare nowdays.

Not at all saying programs shouldn't recruit blue chip prospects. But the main goal is to win NCAA games. Which is why I think programs need more kids who have elite skill, but less than prototypical NHL size. They take a little longer to get ready for NHL play. And if some don't make it to the NHL, as long as they help you win at this level is all that really should matter to fans.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                          It is starting to become apparent that the frustration over results in the program are starting to wharp some perceptions...both here in cyber messageboard world and in the Kohl Center by virtue of an overabundance of empty seats. Things need to change perceptions fairly quickly.
                          true, I'll own up to it as to my perceptions
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Oh I dont disagree with that, I was referring to jdubbs stance on BC. they've been able to produce as many nhlers as any other program even with the majority of those players staying three years.
                            Programs with the most alumni in the NHL last season:

Michigan - 23
                            Wisconsin - 22
                            BC - 21
                            North Dakota - 17
                            Michigan St. - 16
                            Minnesota - 15
                            Colorado Col. - 14
                            BU - 12
                            Minn-Duluth - 10
                            Denver - 9
                            Miami - 9
                            Notre Dame - 9
                            Ohio State - 9
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Yes, I posted a link to that earlier. 22 if you count Kreider playing for the Rangers in the playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                Programs with the most alumni in the NHL last season:

Michigan - 23
                                Wisconsin - 22
                                BC - 21
                                North Dakota - 17
                                Michigan St. - 16
                                Minnesota - 15
                                Colorado Col. - 14
                                BU - 12
                                Minn-Duluth - 10
                                Denver - 9
                                Miami - 9
                                Notre Dame - 9
                                Ohio State - 9
                                How many of BC's players in the NHL right now have left before their third year? How many upper classmen did UMD have on their championship team. Etc, etc....

Majority of the blue chip recruits that have size aren't staying more than a few years. The programs that are having success are the ones recruiting more players who will stick around. Jerry York has done that.

That's the real point I am trying to make. I didn't realize BC was that close to the top in NHL players. Even more impressive. Goes to show that you can recruit guys that will stay around longer that can still contribute at the NHL level.

tDon has already started changing his recruiting philosophy at Minnesota. Guys like Rau, Haula, Cammarata, Guertler, etc... are all high-end skill guys, but will all probably be 3-4 year players. All have the skill to play in the NHL some day, but will need more time at this level to add strength and weight.

You can't go after all the Bjugstad's of the World. If he didn't accelerate his schooling and come in early, and if there wasn't the threat of the lockout, he probably would have been a 2-and-done. Fasching probably will be, but that's ok because tDon has a handful of other highly skilled guys coming in that will probably stay 3-4 years.

So, back to my original point, how many NHL players your program "produces" is a nice consolation prize. Or, in BC's case, the icing on the cake
                                Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 12-20-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X