Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
    That is crazy if you really only think it is 3 forwards who developed under Eaves. Take a look at Blake Geof's stats over his time at UW. Recruits are like draft picks an educated gamble, some kids aren't going to pan out regardless of the coach or situation.

4 out of 60 is still terrible.

Citing these few examples doesn't prove that Eaves develops kids. It just shows that a few kids will develop no matter the situation they are put in.

Some kids won't pan out, true, but you need better than 4 out of 60 or you should be looking for a new job.

I'm willing to bet that I could hit on 4 out of 60. Seriously.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by burd View Post
      Hey, UND has a play-by-play guy now (TV) who doesn't know what a one-tmer is. And he calls it all the time. Just about everything is a one-timer. Barry can at least do that. But then, I suppose he will call everything a nickel defense.
      I don't doubt that Barry could sit in the box and yap.

I'm just saying that anyone who heard the words "Barry" and "Alaska" in the same sentence and made the leap that Barry would be in Alaska doing color for a hockey game is a silly, silly person.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        It was Cerniglia who's going to Anchorage from Pasadena.

Barry? In ALASKA? Seriously?

ROTFLMFAO
        Like I said I probably heard it wrong. My bad.
        WISCONSIN BADGERS
        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
          Like I said I probably heard it wrong. My bad.

It's all in fun.

Another thread inside sorta-joke is Barry and his level of interest in the hockey program.

There's nothing short of the Frozen Four in Anchorage and us in the finals that would get Barry to Alaska for anything hockey-related. And even then...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            4 out of 60 is still terrible.

Citing these few examples doesn't prove that Eaves develops kids. It just shows that a few kids will develop no matter the situation they are put in.

Some kids won't pan out, true, but you need better than 4 out of 60 or you should be looking for a new job.

I'm willing to bet that I could hit on 4 out of 60. Seriously.
            There are many more than 4, I think we forget that some players that leave as stars didn't come in as big time recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              There are many more than 4, I think we forget that some players that leave as stars didn't come in as big time recruits.
              Exactly, the non-development thing is a joke which is why I brought up Mersch. There's a reason why Wisconsin had the 2nd most players in the NHL last season. Sure, they recruit well, but they develop guys as well. When NHL teams are specifically noting the way you develop players when they draft your kids, you know you're doing it right on the developmental side. Sure, there are going to be kids who fizzle out, but that happens in every program (just look at first round picks Pat White and David Fischer).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                Exactly, the non-development thing is a joke which is why I brought up Mersch. There's a reason why Wisconsin had the 2nd most players in the NHL last season. Sure, they recruit well, but they develop guys as well. When NHL teams are specifically noting the way you develop players when they draft your kids, you know you're doing it right on the developmental side. Sure, there are going to be kids who fizzle out, but that happens in every program (just look at first round picks Pat White and David Fischer).
                Eaves may develop top end guys for the pros, but his track record with getting lower ceiling guys to consistantly contribute on the scoreboard WHILE at UW is not particularly good. I think that others underestimate the talent that is on this team, but to me it is clear that UW has an over abundance of grinders at the expense of secondary scorers: UW has no 3rd line players who will be able to step into the top 2 lines when those players depart.

Eaves is great at landing 2 or 3 top level forwards a year which with departures and misses is enough to have 2 good scoring lines, but gives you ZERO depth beyond that when you end up bringing in a class of 4 players who all end up as grinders because you HAVE to replace bodies due to graduation and early departures.

Having a forwards roster of 2 or 3 elite and 4 top 3 line players with 8 grinders is a recipe for a team that is going to struggle offensively as other teams can focus on shutting down the top lines and daring the other lines to beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                  Eaves may develop top end guys for the pros, but his track record with getting lower ceiling guys to consistantly contribute on the scoreboard WHILE at UW is not particularly good. I think that others underestimate the talent that is on this team, but to me it is clear that UW has an over abundance of grinders at the expense of secondary scorers: UW has no 3rd line players who will be able to step into the top 2 lines when those players depart.

Eaves is great at landing 2 or 3 top level forwards a year which with departures and misses is enough to have 2 good scoring lines, but gives you ZERO depth beyond that when you end up bringing in a class of 4 players who all end up as grinders because you HAVE to replace bodies due to graduation and early departures.

Having a forwards roster of 2 or 3 elite and 4 top 3 line players with 8 grinders is a recipe for a team that is going to struggle offensively as other teams can focus on shutting down the top lines and daring the other lines to beat them.
                  You're making different points here.

Comment

Either way, if you told me they would be unbeaten in their next 6 games after the Kato series....I would have laughed. They have a good chance to make that into 7 and 8 games going into Mankato to see how much they really have improved.

Comment

You're making different points here.
                      Yes; separate paragraphs, separate points.

Part of the reason many of the players don't appear to have developed is that they were low ceiling players to begin with. Even then, Eaves hasn't found one diamond in the rough in all of the projected grinders that he has brought in.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                        Yes; separate paragraphs, separate points.

Part of the reason many of the players don't appear to have developed is that they were low ceiling players to begin with. Even then, Eaves hasn't found one diamond in the rough in all of the projected grinders that he has brought in.
                        Grinders are brought in to well, grind. They aren't there to score, that's not their role. Scoring is simply a bonus. I'm not disagreeing that this current team has too many mediocre forwards, but my simple point was that I think it's asinine to believe that Eaves isn't a solid developer of talent. There's plenty of examples of guys like Drewiske, and Bombach, and Mitchell, and Piskula who turned themselves into good players after being afterthoughts when they were brought in. There's a million other examples of guys who consistently got better during their time at UW.

Simply not buying that Eaves is not a good developer of talent.

Comment

2nd 1/2 schedule is pretty brutal considering their output thusfar. I'm thinking this team winds up w/about 12-14 wins if things go right for them.

@UNO, vs. MN, Miami, Nodak, St. Cloud - 4 wins???
                          alasaka x 2, Mankato, bemidji, Penn State - 5 wins??
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            2nd 1/2 schedule is pretty brutal considering their output thusfar. I'm thinking this team winds up w/about 12-14 wins if things go right for them.

@UNO, vs. MN, Miami, Nodak, St. Cloud - 4 wins???
                            alasaka x 2, Mankato, bemidji, Penn State - 5 wins??
                            Maybe I'm nuts but I'm looking at the second half of the season as the glass being half full. Should be the first time all season they've had all hands on deck as I anticipate Zulinick back for Anchorage. Goaltending is outstanding right now and while the defense isn't providing much in the way of offense, their zone coverage has been good.

Team really came together in the second half last year, and while Schultz obviously had a lot to do with it, his numbers were significantly better in the first half of the season. I don't think they will be a tournament team, but I do expect better results in the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              Maybe I'm nuts but I'm looking at the second half of the season as the glass being half full. Should be the first time all season they've had all hands on deck as I anticipate Zulinick back for Anchorage. Goaltending is outstanding right now and while the defense isn't providing much in the way of offense, their zone coverage has been good.

Team really came together in the second half last year, and while Schultz obviously had a lot to do with it, his numbers were significantly better in the first half of the season. I don't think they will be a tournament team, but I do expect better results in the second half.
                              you may be right and I really hope you are. Cerniglia made the point last night that the lines are starting to come together now, especially the Mersch-Lee-Labate line and the Little-Dahl-Little line. and that the 1st line needs more time

I think we'll have the full picture after the Miami series as to how the team may progress in the 2nd half
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Maybe I'm nuts but I'm looking at the second half of the season as the glass being half full.
                                Half full of what, exactly?
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X