Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    UW showed late interest in Condon but by then it was too late.

Wisconsin only had two scholarships available for forwards for the 2009 class. They brought in Derek Lee and Craig Smith. Obviously C. Smith was a stud and people forget how highly touted Lee was at the time. He basically had his pick of any school and actually waited a year. I believe he had offers from schools like Boston U for 2008 but waited a year to come to Madison.

UW obviously wanted Riley Smith but had the spots filled up with C. Smith and Lee (also had Barnes on board who eventually became a 2010 recruit). They offered R. Smith for 2010 but he wanted to play right away and took the Miami offer. Nate Condon was in a similar spot which I believe UW didn't push the envelope until it was too late. Condon committed for that same 2009 (was later pushed to 2010 after Minnesota over-recruited) class that UW had filled with Lee and C. Smith. Condon verballed before Lee, but UW had irons in the fire with Lee and R. Smith that would have taken priority over Condon.

You are getting Derek Lee mixed up with Craig Smith. Lee had an offer from BU for 2008 and waited a year to come to UW. He had numerous offers for 2009. Smith was suppose to come in 2008, but reclassified to 2009 because UW and Smith himself thought he needed another year of development. UW was Smith's only offer when he committed, but had interest from numerous schools. Reilly Smith and UW weren't even on the same radar. He wasn't coming here.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
      You are getting Derek Lee mixed up with Craig Smith. Lee had an offer from BU for 2008 and waited a year to come to UW. He had numerous offers for 2009. Smith was suppose to come in 2008, but reclassified to 2009 because UW and Smith himself thought he needed another year of development. UW was Smith's only offer when he committed, but had interest from numerous schools. Reilly Smith and UW weren't even on the same radar. He wasn't coming here.
      Isn't that what I said (Lee had a 2008 BU offer)?

As for Reilly Smith you may have inside knowledge of that situation, I'm just going on what's been said publicly. Which is that (obviously) UW was already full on forwards for 2009 and offered for 2010 only. Obviously he wanted a spot somewhere for 2009 and took the Miami offer.

Comment

Isn't that what I said (Lee had a 2008 BU offer)?

As for Reilly Smith you may have inside knowledge of that situation, I'm just going on what's been said publicly. Which is that (obviously) UW was already full on forwards for 2009 and offered for 2010 only. Obviously he wanted a spot somewhere for 2009 and took the Miami offer.
        I'm an idiot. When you said "Obviously C. Smith was a stud and people forget how highly touted Lee was at the time" I mistook "Lee" as being "he". And yes regarding Reilly Smith. He wasn't coming here even if they had 10 scholarships available. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Comment

Wisconsin only had two scholarships available for forwards for the 2009 class.
          To me this is one of the major problems and is 100% Eaves fault that after 10 recruiting classes he has not appeared to even attempt to even things out. If you have to being in a class of 6 or more forwards in a year it had better be a VERY deep class or you are going to be bringing in a lot of marginal role players and grinders (which is EXACTLY what has happened to UW under Eaves). Eaves had the connections to get away with it in for the first class or two that he recruited, but after that it is clear that it is hard to find 3 or 4 good contributing forwards every class, trying to find 6 or more is nearly impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
            I think one of the big differences is that UW has gotten a lot of offense from their defenseman for the last 4-5 years. In 2010-2011 the defensemen put up 118 of the 357 total points in 41 games. Last season they had 95 of 294 total points in 37 games. This season they have 12 of 59 points in 13 games. Not only is the point total anemic, but the defensemen have contributed less percentage-wise than in previous years. The past few seasons they have been about a third of the total points and they are about a quarter of the total this season. Believe it or not the loss of Osiecki likely has caused some problems for UW's offense as well as their defense as we have not found dynamic offensive defensemen since he departed. Thoughts?
            I think this is a great observation. Guys like McBain, Smith, Schultz weren't just secondary scorers who you counted on for a goal here or there, and to play some D, these guys were key pieces of the offense. No one on the current roster has that ability, which is leaving all the scoring up to the forwards, and they just aren't as talented enough to make up ALL of the difference. McCabe has the makings of being a difference maker offensively, but needs some help. Faust, Simonelli, Ramage, etc aren't doing there part. McCabe has 8 pts, the rest of the defenseman have 6. I think by this point last season, Schultz had 25 pts by himself, or **** near.

Eaves, if he isn't canned or something, needs to hit a homerun on a defenseman coach this offseason. Last time he fouled out bunting when he picked Butters.
            Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
            Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
            Originally posted by UWisco
            It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
              8,756 tonight in attendence....wow just unbelievable. I have a thought, maybe the fact that no body is in the stands makes UW play bas not UW playing bad causing empty seats. I'd assume no body thought of that. I go to quite a bit of UW bball, football, and hockey games, fan energy has plan and simple just decreased the last year or two. According to USCHOs attendence stats page UW was averaging 15,000 a game in 2010, I don't see how there can be such a decrease to the 8000 we saw tonight just because UW is playing below average, who cares come out and support your team. I see how people can say economic trouble has become an issue over the years but hockey has deals with the tickets and compared to football a heck of a lot cheaper.
              Going back to the lack of fan energy, the home games this year when we scored a goal only half of my section actually stood up and cheered the others sat there like bums, and it flippin ticks me off. Your at the game for a reason cheer your team on.

This might be corny but I don't even care anymore, the fans are preforming just as bad as the team this year, POOR.
              Was there Saturday along with an 11k crowd. Friday nights are going to be tough going forward if the Badgers don't pick up their play.
              Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Here's the ? of the week: Can UW score more than 4 goals in a weekend against UAH?
                I for one would prefer that they not.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  I for one would prefer that they not.
                  GFM
                  Have some pity on us! Please! You know, UW didn't have to invite you for a weekend series. The least you could do is let UW put up 10 goals and in return take your cut of the cash home.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Does someone smell bait, or is it just me?

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Chuck, any news on Zulinick playing Thursday/Friday against Bama?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                        Doubtful.

There is news however. Ryan Little has been suspended for one game. Anyone with access of the game have the ability to load up his hit with 1:24 left in OT so we can see it? I don't remember the play.

He'll have to sit out Thursday's game.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                          Please don't call us "Bama". "BAMA" are those uncultured rednecks at our sister school in Tuscaloosa. "Huntsville" is just fine, thanks.

GFM <-- has equal disdain for Alabama and Auburn.
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Doubtful.

There is news however. Ryan Little has been suspended for one game. Anyone with access of the game have the ability to load up his hit with 1:24 left in OT so we can see it? I don't remember the play.

He'll have to sit out Thursday's game.
                            In the process of uploading now...will be available here: http://youtu.be/Ww8sVIT0Oo0

(Ignore the wife and kids in the background....i was doing this quickly

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              Please don't call us "Bama". "BAMA" are those uncultured rednecks at our sister school in Tuscaloosa. "Huntsville" is just fine, thanks.

Are you trying to tell us that these aren't your people?

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/typical-alabama-fan.jpg******

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/superbammertm6.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                                In the process of uploading now...will be available here: http://youtu.be/Ww8sVIT0Oo0

(Ignore the wife and kids in the background....i was doing this quickly
                                Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X