Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Tie that feels like a loss.
    For me, considering they came back to tie it up in the last 5 minutes of the game (and then didn't lose another OT game at home), it was a tie that felt like a tie. I still feel like 3 points would be a good weekend and it's still there for the taking.

While I was underwhelmed by the Badgers' top line, the Little-Dahl-Little did exactly what a text-book 4th line should do (banging into people, agitating in front of the opposing goal and coming up with an occasional scoring opportunity).

At this point, the second and third line are about as average as I've seen around here in a long time. Maybe Zulinik coming back (whenever that is) will help the cause.

Defense is also frustratingly inconsistent. Fairly solid in the defensive zone (though McCabe's give-away was shockingly bad), but really struggles to start any kind of rush out of the zone.

Peterson was good enough and the pipe/crossbar had another solid game. I assume that Rumpel gets the start tonight.

Not an ideal outcome, but if they can come out tonight and get a win it's at least an acceptable weekend. Hey, have to start somewhere.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Despite the fact that Tech was missing 5 players from the lineup due to injury - they managed to control parts of the game. Wisconsin came on in the third and had Tech running around a bit.
      I expect to see more goals tonight as each team badly needs 2 points.

Comment

I think one of the big differences is that UW has gotten a lot of offense from their defenseman for the last 4-5 years. In 2010-2011 the defensemen put up 118 of the 357 total points in 41 games. Last season they had 95 of 294 total points in 37 games. This season they have 12 of 59 points in 13 games. Not only is the point total anemic, but the defensemen have contributed less percentage-wise than in previous years. The past few seasons they have been about a third of the total points and they are about a quarter of the total this season. Believe it or not the loss of Osiecki likely has caused some problems for UW's offense as well as their defense as we have not found dynamic offensive defensemen since he departed. Thoughts?

Comment

חנוכה שמחה
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Nice blown lead.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              חנוכה שמחה
              Happy Hanukkah MCR!!!!

That being said, it is time for a coaching change.

Comment

just got back from a concert (The Joy Formidable w/Silversun Pickups)...guess I made the right choice tonight.

the most exasperating thing is this will take *at least* another 3 years to overcome AND to accomplish that, they need to recruit light years better than they have in the past 3 years.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Look on the bright side; they have a 4 game unbeaten streak while only averaging 2 goals a game.

Comment

They played a lot better last night, there was some creativity on the ice. The top line does not have a lot of chemistry yet, though it was better Sat. Than Fri. The breakout passing was not good at times and lead to the 3rd Tech goal.

The crowd was great, the early goals sure helped that out.

Here's the ? of the week: Can UW score more than 4 goals in a weekend against UAH?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Badger hockey is fine it's the couch potatoe coaches that never played the game except for EA Sports that have the problems. How can the forwards be bad when Navin, Woods, LaBate are NHL draft picks and people are stating "We need better high end forwards"! They have underachieved and I agree with that but in the last 3 weeks the team has played better, out shot their opponents, PK is moving in the right direction but the PP is a sight for sore eyes But...last night the puck movement and scoring chances were there and I believe it will start to score some goals.
                      You EA sport hockey nuts put down the controllers and take a deep breath and get ready for the Packer game tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
                        Badger hockey is fine it's the couch potatoe coaches that never played the game except for EA Sports that have the problems. How can the forwards be bad when Navin, Woods, LaBate are NHL draft picks and people are stating "We need better high end forwards"! They have underachieved and I agree with that but in the last 3 weeks the team has played better, out shot their opponents, PK is moving in the right direction but the PP is a sight for sore eyes But...last night the puck movement and scoring chances were there and I believe it will start to score some goals.
                        You EA sport hockey nuts put down the controllers and take a deep breath and get ready for the Packer game tonight.
                        2-7-5 is fine?

Navin 4 goals in 49 games
                        Woods 6 goals in 47 games
                        LeBate 6 goals in 50 games

Getting drafted doesn't mean much.....just ask Rhino and Travis Erstad.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          UW Hockey - Sending out an S.O.S
                          Maybe this guy will do a benefit for you guys, he seems to like to try to help out natural disasters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFF2P8fInI
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            just got back from a concert (The Joy Formidable w/Silversun Pickups)...guess I made the right choice tonight.

the most exasperating thing is this will take *at least* another 3 years to overcome AND to accomplish that, they need to recruit light years better than they have in the past 3 years.
                            Their are just not enough high end guys to go around, you want to win in college hock you have to find forwards who go from 7 goals to 12 goals to 16 goals to 20 goal scores. In TEN years (40 or so forwards) Eaves and staff have found and developed only 2 or 3 players like that. That's what is killed the team last year and is only worse this years because the defensive corp is worse than terrible offensively.

Add one goal per game to this team, and the whole season is completely different. That's where the lack of developmet in secondary scorers is killing this team. One player with 13 goals would be great, 5 different players with three more goals each would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              Their are just not enough high end guys to go around, you want to win in college hock you have to find forwards who go from 7 goals to 12 goals to 16 goals to 20 goal scores. In TEN years (40 or so forwards) Eaves and staff have found and developed only 2 or 3 players like that. That's what is killed the team last year and is only worse this years because the defensive corp is worse than terrible offensively.

Add one goal per game to this team, and the whole season is completely different. That's where the lack of developmet in secondary scorers is killing this team. One player with 13 goals would be great, 5 different players with three more goals each would be better.
                              I agree on the secondary scoring. I think this is where losing out on the Riley Smith's, Ryan Walter's, Nate Condon's (though I guess UW didn't even consider him?) really hurts. Though...I guess Riley Smith would have been more of a 1st line player
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                I agree on the secondary scoring. I think this is where losing out on the Riley Smith's, Ryan Walter's, Nate Condon's (though I guess UW didn't even consider him?) really hurts. Though...I guess Riley Smith would have been more of a 1st line player
                                UW showed late interest in Condon but by then it was too late.

Wisconsin only had two scholarships available for forwards for the 2009 class. They brought in Derek Lee and Craig Smith. Obviously C. Smith was a stud and people forget how highly touted Lee was at the time. He basically had his pick of any school and actually waited a year. I believe he had offers from schools like Boston U for 2008 but waited a year to come to Madison.

UW obviously wanted Riley Smith but had the spots filled up with C. Smith and Lee (also had Barnes on board who eventually became a 2010 recruit). They offered R. Smith for 2010 but he wanted to play right away and took the Miami offer. Nate Condon was in a similar spot which I believe UW didn't push the envelope until it was too late. Condon committed for that same 2009 (was later pushed to 2010 after Minnesota over-recruited) class that UW had filled with Lee and C. Smith. Condon verballed before Lee, but UW had irons in the fire with Lee and R. Smith that would have taken priority over Condon.

Unfortunately you only get 18 scholarships.

Comment

Working...
                                X