Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

I know Chelios has a sweet job in Detroit, but does he enjoy wearing a tie? I think he was a pretty good D man.

Gary Suter? I know we're still on the Badger players theme, but just throwin' them out.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

B5Q story for those that are interested, including quotes and video from Butters and Eaves.

LINK

Comment

I would have liked to hear the conversation when Eaves "challenged" Butters about the decision. If he truly lost the passion to coach, better step down now than mail it in for the next 5 months. Yeah, would have been nice 6 months ago, but what do you do?

It's a short-term loss, but I think it presents a pretty good medium/long term opportunity to upgrade Eaves' staff.

Comment

I wonder if there are days that Eaves would want to switch jobs with Coach Johnson on the womens team. Very little turnover in assistant coaches, ability to recruit stud players that stay for four years and not have NHL/major junior teams (and agents) trying to poach your best players. Yeah, there's the pay cut, playing in front of only 2,000 on a good day and not have any games on TV, but I bet he would sleep better at night.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            I know Chelios has a sweet job in Detroit, but does he enjoy wearing a tie? I think he was a pretty good D man.

Gary Suter? I know we're still on the Badger players theme, but just throwin' them out.
            Would love Chelli in Madison. He has a sweet job for the Wings, in addition to his Chelli Chili Bars in the D. What I want to know, is Ralfalski living in the D, or Waupaca. What is his role in future hockey programs, or is his role somewherre else other than hockey. He does not need any money to support him. He had an interesting farewall message at his Wings retirement ceremony. It was vague, and he said he was going to devote his life to other priorties.

Comment

Always thought that Butters was a curious decision at best. Older guy, quite involved in player ministry (am I remembering that right?). Could he connect with these kids?

I still hope that they look outside the tent. Gotta think that having 3 former players on a staff could be a delicate balance.

I've been around groups (or I should say "a group") of these guys and they can bristle at times in close quarters, especially when they disagree on hockey theory. They tend to be pretty strong willed guys.

Chelios come back here? Pounding the pavement on recruiting trips? Get real.

Comment

For an older fan who saw Butters get ejected from games then get into fights with fans on his way to the dressing room, the person he became as a born again christian was such a surprise. He inspired more Gopher hate in GF than any old-school player I can think of, not that that is such a bad thing. He must have needed the change badly, and if his heart wasn't in it, the Badgers might be better off making a change now. Eaves can't be easy to live with if you are on his team and not totally in. Who knows--sometimes this kind of adversity can pull teams together. Hopefully, that will be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Chelios come back here? Pounding the pavement on recruiting trips? Get real.
                  Yeah, zero chance Cheli is in play here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    B5Q story for those that are interested, including quotes and video from Butters and Eaves.

LINK
                    After reading through that...it really is best that coach Butters goes to pursue his "passion". With the composition of our D-Corp, this is not an auto pilot season.

Comment

I ask this only half-jokingly, but could Mike Cerniglia switch back to the hockey program temporarily from his job as assistant to the athletic director? No clue if he can coach or not, but he is already in the athletic department and has direct ties to the program. Just curious...

Comment

If Ryan Suter has nothing to do this year, I think a year coaching at UW would be a good way to spend it. It would certainly add some much needed fire to the season.
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Kevin Patrick returns? Just throwing it out there. His USHL stint didn't work out (in a hopeless situation), but when he & Oz led the recruiting, they did pretty well.

Just another idea to float.
                          St. Norbert College Green Knights
                          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                          ---
                          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                            Kevin Patrick returns? Just throwing it out there. His USHL stint didn't work out (in a hopeless situation), but when he & Oz led the recruiting, they did pretty well.

Just another idea to float.
                            He's not leaving Vermont mid-season. That's the problem with Butters leaving mid-season...90% of the options are not available.

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                            If Ryan Suter has nothing to do this year, I think a year coaching at UW would be a good way to spend it. It would certainly add some much needed fire to the season.
                            I've heard other people suggest this, and while it sounds nice, there is no chance. I know a lot of UW players like Burish and Gilbert and Elliott have been skating and helping the Badgers all season, but none of them will take Butters spot. Simple reason, the NHL could be back in a few weeks. Are they going to go through the process of hiring a new assistant, and then do it again in a month? Very doubtful. Only possible way is if the NHL cancels the season like...tomorrow.

We'll see...really interested in seeing what direction they take this.
                            Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Always thought that Butters was a curious decision at best. Older guy, quite involved in player ministry (am I remembering that right?). Could he connect with these kids?
                              I agree. The Butters hire was a very questionable move to begin with, they guy had been out of college coaching 15 years. Surely Eaves had other candidates that were more relevant to today's game and players. I think he went with Butters because he needed someone who he knew and could can lean on. Eaves was in a tough spot losing both assistants and he just couldn't bring in 2 new guys he knew very little about.

The timing is aweful for UW, but I think it was eating Butters up inside, and when he did that talk in Eau Claire, he had an epiphany that he had to follow. When God calls, you have to answer the bell. Isaiah Ch 6: Verse 8 says it all " Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

I believe God is giving Butters a great opportunity to witness for Christ, and he is taking full advantage of it. God's getting a lot of exposure out of this. This is yet again another sign to us that God is in control of our lives, you just think you're in control . Glory be to God!

At least Eaves has a bye week to find an interim coach. I could actually see Patrick leaving Vermont for the UW on short notice as a permanent hire, it's a step back up the ladder for him. Most of the guys mentioned have regular jobs that they won't be able to leave for 6 months. Maybe Sanger and run the PK? I just had an epiphany - BILL HOWARD is THE guy. Of course Howie pretty much got cast aside by Eaves, but maybe the wounds have healed? They are familiar with each other.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Well, this season's already starting out as a bit of a turkey, so adding a coaching change to the mix just seems like a "hey, while we're at it" kind of measure.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X