Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Carter View Post
    No offense, but I'm not willing to give up my upper deck seats for anybody. Certainly not for people paying $10. They were my seats of choice when the Kohl Center opened, and aside from the effing stairs, they remain so.
    I wouldn't make them general admission, but still make them $10.00.

Friday the get outshot and put up 4, last night they outshoot and put up 0. That's hockey. The Zengerlee injury really has taken the sails out of the season, they weren't scoring a ton with him in the line-up.

I don't see any practicle way to shrink the width of the KC in terms of not screwing up the seating, and there sure as hell won't be any $$$$ for that anytime soon if they figured out a way to do it that wasn't some cobbled together deal.

With Labahn getting built, I was under the impression the boys would practice there the vast majority of the time, it was touted as thier practice facility afterall. I can see the logic of wanting to practice at a smaller rink when you are playing at a smaller that week. I just hope the boys can practice at the KC as much as they can/desire to, based on where they are playing that week. I get the impression they won't be able to from Eaves' comment.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

I just happy I don't have to see this team play again until December since I won't be around at Thanksgiving. I haven't seen them win in person yet this season, outside of exhibition, and if they don't sweep Mankato later this month, I wouldn't be able to take it.

Every season it is something else. Last season it was experience, this season it is defense. They look lost out there at times, this blue line is just not that good right now. Frankie Simonelli and Joe Faust are not the junior defense we expect based on the last 5+ years. I know they are not as talented either, but these kids need to step up IMO. The start of this season with basically the same team as last year besides Justin Schutlz, proves to me that Schultz should have won the Hobey. He meant more to the Badgers on both ends of the ice than any other player in the country did to their team, and he scored a crap ton of points to boot.

And the PWR scare me too, assuming they do turn it around they now lose comparisons to NMU and CC, unless they can win all three metrics, and I just don't see that happening. That will hurt unless they start to roll everyone as the season progresses.
      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
      Originally posted by UWisco
      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I wouldn't make them general admission, but still make them $10.00.
        If you're saying what I pay would drop from $24 per seat to $10 per seat, I'm all for it!
        "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

If you're saying what I pay would drop from $24 per seat to $10 per seat, I'm all for it!
          Same here! The 2nd deck seats are the best in the KC, I would pay more for them than to sit in the 100 level.
          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
          Originally posted by UWisco
          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            TV coverage this year is the best it has been in years...23 games on live TV. 15 games on FS Wisconsin or FS Wisconsin +. Four games on Big Ten Network, two on the NBC Sports Network and two on the Fox College Sports Channel.

Only three home games (tonight vs CC, & Bemidji series) aren't on live TV.

Is Wisconsin supposed to send their own TV crew to Duluth or Denver or Omaha or Anchorage? You know that's never going to happen.

How that is step child TV coverage is beyond me.
            When we match what Minnesota has that will be real TV coverage. You settle for 2nd best. Judging from the play of our team many others do too. 18K plus for this series , pathetic. Oh yes Wisconsin should send its own crew. They used to.

Want to know how successful we are as a program. Count the empty seats.

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
              When we match what Minnesota has that will be real TV coverage.
              Never going to happen. Ever. Ever, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                Never going to happen. Ever. Ever, ever.
                That is the perception that keeps it from happening. I wont go any farther with this. Too many on ice issues to discuss with this team.

Mark Zengerle is a fine player. He will be missed. With a full team we will be competitive in the WCHA.
                Until then it does not look good.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm saying. Make the third deck a more family friendly price. With $50.00, I can take 4 people and pay for parking. If the tix are $24.00, well it's obvious what I can do with that.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Some impressions so far:

1. 18,000 attendence for a WCHA series on a non-football weekend is embarassing!

2. Eaves whinning about the width of his practice rink, what a bull?@:t excuse.

3. My opinion of why the Badgers suck is that once Oz left we no longer get the top D-Men recruits in the country.

4. Think back to the last NCCA qualifing team in 09-10, 5 of our 6 D-Men were 1st or 2nd round picks. Family advisors and NHL teams are no longer directing their players to Wisco.

5. Mike Eaves ivory tower attitude has turned off the community to Badger Hockey. I for one can't wait for the Mark Johnson era of Wisconsin Mens Hockey to begin!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
                      Some impressions so far:

1. 18,000 attendence for a WCHA series on a non-football weekend is embarassing!

3. My opinion of why the Badgers suck is that once Oz left we no longer get the top D-Men recruits in the country.

4. Think back to the last NCCA qualifing team in 09-10, 5 of our 6 D-Men were 1st or 2nd round picks. Family advisors and NHL teams are no longer directing their players to Wisco.

5. Mike Eaves ivory tower attitude has turned off the community to Badger Hockey. I for one can't wait for the Mark Johnson era of Wisconsin Mens Hockey to begin!
                      1. yes the attendance this weekend was an embarrassment
                      2. yes. tired of excuses, the practice rink excuse is a joke. I've never heard any other coach whine about the same. nodak goes from their little rink to mariucci or kc and are ready from the puck drop
                      3. talent level. that's what I harped on all year last year, but I meant the entire team, not just the d. let's see where the team winds up by the x-mas break
                      4. looks to me like UW has several skilled D committed over the next 2-3 years
                      5. not sure what you mean here re: ivory tower attitude but one thing is certain, if Coach Eaves is shown the door because they end up missing the ncaa's for the 5th time in 7 years I guarantee you Mark Johnson will not be the new coach. he was part of Sauer's coaching staff and an important part HEAD RECRUITER. I don't know about you but I recall the talent level dropped under his watch, he didn't travel outside WI to evaluate talent and I don't know of a successful recruiter anywhere who doesn't travel

bottom line is: yes this is an awful start, yes the fanbase is eroding most likely due to the performances
                      as far as recruiting that appears to be going well lately, esp the current frosh in kerdiles and zulinick, and besse coming in

but how long does Eaves get to turn things around in terms of wins and losses and getting to the NCAA and making noise? unknown
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
                        Some impressions so far:

Most kids commit before they are drafted, so your point #4 holds especially little water. Not to mention, UW has some very good players on their team and in their pipeline.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Some impressions so far:

1.) Agree.

2.) I don't think this was as much of an excuse, as it was a shot at the powers that be in an effort to get them more time on the Kohl Center ice.

3.) Simply not true. Jake McCabe would have had an offer from every team in the country had he let it play out. Eddie Wittchow was pursued by many of the top programs in the country as well. Down the road, guys like Tischke, Linhart, and Ford are all high major guy who basically had their pick of schools. It's not a mistake that all three have spent time in the USHL at 16 years old this season.

4.) Simply not true that NHL teams and family advisors are steering kids away. That's just a flat out lie. Wisconsin has changed up their recruiting a bit in an effort to bring in players they feel will give them the best chance to win long term. You can't win with freshmen and sophomores, need to find a mix of elite talent and four year guys so you can't simply just recruit blue chip kids across the board.

5.) I'd be disappointed if Johnson was the next guy in line, and that's not a knock on him. There are better options out there, but we've gone over that here many times.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                            Most kids commit before they are drafted, so your point #4 holds especially little water. Not to mention, UW has some very good players on their team and in their pipeline.
                            Yes most are committed before the draft, but do you think that the family advisor is not involved with the decision on what school their players attend? And do you think that the advisors don't know what the players need to do to improve enough to sign a professional contract? When you are talking about D-Men who are drafted in the 1st or 2nd round it is because of their offensive skills/upside. Think McBain, Smith Gardiner and Schultz, you don't think part of the attraction to Wisco for the kid/advisor was learning how to be a NHL D-Man from Oz (who was considered one of the top D teachers in the country). I bet you don't hear advisors saying go learn how to be a NHL D-man from Bill Butters!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              1.) Agree.

2.) I don't think this was as much of an excuse, as it was a shot at the powers that be in an effort to get them more time on the Kohl Center ice.

3.) Simply not true. Jake McCabe would have had an offer from every team in the country had he let it play out. Eddie Wittchow was pursued by many of the top programs in the country as well. Down the road, guys like Tischke, Linhart, and Ford are all high major guy who basically had their pick of schools. It's not a mistake that all three have spent time in the USHL at 16 years old this season.

4.) Simply not true that NHL teams and family advisors are steering kids away. That's just a flat out lie. Wisconsin has changed up their recruiting a bit in an effort to bring in players they feel will give them the best chance to win long term. You can't win with freshmen and sophomores, need to find a mix of elite talent and four year guys so you can't simply just recruit blue chip kids across the board.

5.) I'd be disappointed if Johnson was the next guy in line, and that's not a knock on him. There are better options out there, but we've gone over that here many times.
                              In responce to # 3: McCabe is the only Badger Bluliner who has any shot at playing in the NHL. They have resorted to playing Derek Lee on the point on the powerplay. That should tell you how strong the D-men are.

#4. The excuse that they have changed up their recruiting to players who will stay longer. Boston College, North Dakota, Michigan and other powerhouses win that battle because players stick around as upper classmen. So it is either bad coaching/atmosphere or just **** poor recruiting.

A couple more years of bad hockey and 8600 fans will be the new norm!

Comment

Some impressions so far:

1. 18,000 attendence for a WCHA series on a non-football weekend is embarrassing!
                                The attendance is just a reflection of the performance on the ice over the last 2 seasons, that's what has been embarrassment.

Meh, what Eaves says to the media is FAR less important than what he actually BELIEVES is the problem. In many ways he was just trying to focus the media to the fact that the hockey team doesn't get the support and resources from the athletic department as many people believe. The fact that we are now a MONTH into the season and this was the FIRST opportunity that the team had to skate on the Kohl Center ice is ludicrous.

Talent isn't the problem, other than Eaves first season UW has had as much talent as any other team in the nation. The problem is that UW has REPEATEDLY under-performed relative to the cumulative talent on the team (in fact, you could argue that UW has under achieved relative to talent in EACH AND EVERY season under Eaves). Even the most talented team, if it has a poor collective attitude or isn't unified towards a single goal, isn't going to be able to put up anything more than above average results.

Eaves attitude isn't the problem, the on-ice results are the problem. I don't know what the solution to the Badger's problems are, but I'm confident that Mark Johnson isn't the answer (he wasn't the answer back in 2002, he isn't the answer in 2012)

Comment

Working...
                                X