Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Eaves lamented the team didn't get any practice time at the KC and the 7 ft difference in width from the KC to Labahn made it hard to prepare for this series. This begs the question.....why didn't they build the practice facility the same width as their home ice? That would have reinforced the home rink advantage. So now the practice rink sucks even more and no one shows up for the games because the hockey team doesn't dominate at home.

How about this crazy idea...build Labahn the same width as the KC, but then have some additional sideboards that you could put in to make the rink narrower so you can practice on the width of rink you will be playing in? I know they had only 34 million to play with.....

Honestly, something like 8400 people there on opening night at home, dedicating the ice sheet to the Badger Bob himself with lots of promos online and on the air is a total embarrasment. All the Alumni at the game must have been scratching their heads. Badger Bob must have turn over in his grave last night. It's official, UW hockey is dying, over-run by FB, BB and mediocrity. There's 5000 empty seats to back this up.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Eaves lamented the team didn't get any practice time at the KC and the 7 ft difference in width from the KC to Labahn made it hard to prepare for this series. This begs the question.....why didn't they build the practice facility the same width as their home ice? That would have reinforced the home rink advantage. So now the practice rink sucks even more and no one shows up for the games because the hockey team doesn't dominate at home.

How about this crazy idea...build Labahn the same width as the KC, but then have some additional sideboards that you could put in to make the rink narrower so you can practice on the width of rink you will be playing in? I know they had only 34 million to play with.....

Honestly, something like 8400 people there on opening night at home, dedicating the ice sheet to the Badger Bob himself with lots of promos online and on the air is a total embarrasment. All the Alumni at the game must have been scratching their heads. Badger Bob must have turn over in his grave last night. It's official, UW hockey is dying, over-run by FB, BB and mediocrity. There's 5000 empty seats to back this up.
      FWIW, the first half of the season is always poorly attended compared to the second half.
      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
      sigpic
      Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

I can't believe they gave up a breakaway goal on the pk. I don't remember ever seeing that. The looks on the two Badger faces was priceless after the guy caught the pass and went in on a breakaway to score. Rumpel was hung out to dry on the last 3 goals. CC third goal was a pretty goal.

Barnes has turned into a pretty fun player to watch. Hopefully, he can start putting some more chances away.

Comment

Hard game to watch. I think the average offensive posession lasted about 3 seconds, and the PP was anemic for the most part. They showed flashes here and there, which is encouraging, but they need to play a whole lot better to avoid being a doormat again this season.

Keegan Meuer (who I didn't know is Rob Andringa's nephew until last night) was on the radio after the game explaining that they're still not running the forecheck correctly. It was interesting to listen to, and I give him credit for being honest about the team's sub-par performance.

I also was really shocked by the small crowd. Hopefully tonight will be better.

EDIT: forgot to +1 TimothyA's comment about the ice. It seems kinda dumb to make the practice ice smaller than the Kohl, particularly after spening a medium-sized fortune on it!
          Last edited by Buck 'em; 11-03-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I am really hoping that Eaves' comment on not practicing enough on the Kohl Center was some kind of miscommunication. Outside of cutting corners, why would the ice sheet at LaBahn be smaller than KC when it's been touted as the state-of-the-art practice facility for the men? The women's team was used to playing on the bigger sheet of ice, so that wouldn't be an issue. Looks like a major oversight.

I wonder if there has been any thought of making the upper deck $10 general admission?

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
              I am really hoping that Eaves' comment on not practicing enough on the Kohl Center was some kind of miscommunication. Outside of cutting corners, why would the ice sheet at LaBahn be smaller than KC when it's been touted as the state-of-the-art practice facility for the men? The women's team was used to playing on the bigger sheet of ice, so that wouldn't be an issue. Looks like a major oversight.

I wonder if there has been any thought of making the upper deck $10 general admission?
              Agree with everything said, the 300 seats should not be the same price as 100 and 200 seats. The practice ice not being the same as the Kohl is a real head shaker. How does that happen?

Comment

Is tonight's debacle.....err...game going to be televised as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                  Agree with everything said, the 300 seats should not be the same price as 100 and 200 seats. The practice ice not being the same as the Kohl is a real head shaker. How does that happen?
                  So that you have the flexability to practice on either an NHL size or Olympic size sheet. Same situation with Mariucci (Olympic) and Ridder (NHL).
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    So that you have the flexability to practice on either an NHL size or Olympic size sheet. Same situation with Mariucci (Olympic) and Ridder (NHL).
                    Except that the kohl center doesn't always have Olympic sized ice in it. The REAL bonehead move was making the ice at the kohl center neither NHL nor Olympic sized.

I believe that the new arena is NHL sized because eaves wants to convert the Kohl Center to NHL sized ice at some point in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

ditto on all of this. I'm willing to wait to see how this season plays but out but Eaves should understand this season is critical for his future in madison. missing the NCAA's for a 3rd consecutive year and 5th time in 7 years should be grounds for dismissal.

I call bs on the difference between the practice facility and home ice dimensions.
                      that's something a good team overcomes (and overcomes is too strong a word here). you didn't see the 06 team struggle or complain going to play on different sized ice sheets. good grief. what team or coaching staff does that? you go drop the puck and you play the game, ice dimensions should be a non-starter. Nodak would come to madison from their tiny rink prepared to kick some ***, minnesota the same. none of those teams and coaches complain about different ice sheet dimensions

8400 people? my god that wouldn't fill up the great dane would it? wasn't that 8900?

early season attendance generally *was* 11,000-12,000 @ the KC

I'd have to guess that the lousy performances the past 4 of 6 years of this team has led to the downturn in attendance. season tickets sales haven't dropped sharply have they? the attendance thing is concerning. all the alumni there, re-naming the ice for the hero who built Badger Hockey, opening home game of the season...lots of reasons to show up.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        This is correct. Unfortunately they just haven't had a chance to use the Kohl Center much this season. Eaves comments after the game were more for the administration who makes those decisions than an excuse for his teams performance.

In a perfect world, Wisconsin would practice at LaBahn when they are going to travel that week to a place like Duluth or North Dakota. But if they have a home game or are playing at a place like Minnesota, they'd obviously like to get on the Kohl Center ice at least a few days that week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          This is correct. Unfortunately they just haven't had a chance to use the Kohl Center much this season. Eaves comments after the game were more for the administration who makes those decisions than an excuse for his teams performance.

In a perfect world, Wisconsin would practice at LaBahn when they are going to travel that week to a place like Duluth or North Dakota. But if they have a home game or are playing at a place like Minnesota, they'd obviously like to get on the Kohl Center ice at least a few days that week.
                          Yeah, that can make things tough when they can't use the facility.

I'm excited to see LaBahn. Will have to stop in and check it out when I make my annual pilgrimage to Madtown. Pictures I've seen look great.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Most of all the attendance is linked to performance. But I think the weak TV package by getting sloppy seconds to the Bucks on Fox has killed needed live TV coverage . Almost no road games are on. Roundball and football all televised.

Pretty simple. Win and see it on TV.

Big Ten Network had better pick it up next year. No more step child TV coverage. Its sucks and has made its mark.

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
                              Most of all the attendance is linked to performance. But I think the weak TV package by getting sloppy seconds to the Bucks on Fox has killed needed live TV coverage . Almost no road games are on. Roundball and football all televised.

Pretty simple. Win and see it on TV.

Big Ten Network had better pick it up next year. No more step child TV coverage. Its sucks and has made its mark.
                              TV coverage this year is the best it has been in years...23 games on live TV. 15 games on FS Wisconsin or FS Wisconsin +. Four games on Big Ten Network, two on the NBC Sports Network and two on the Fox College Sports Channel.

Only three home games (tonight vs CC, & Bemidji series) aren't on live TV.

Is Wisconsin supposed to send their own TV crew to Duluth or Denver or Omaha or Anchorage? You know that's never going to happen.

How that is step child TV coverage is beyond me.
                              Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 11-03-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

There is a black & white picture on http://uwbadgers.com with Bob Johnson and 5 players. I recognize Mark Johnson, Pete Johnson, Bob Suter, and Lee Skille. Pretty sure the pic is highlighting Madison kids. I recognize the player between Lee and Pete, but can't remember who it is. Anybody know? This was obviously taken in the mid 70's.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X