Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
    Hopefully it's for just for certain lines or certain situations/opponents. A 1-1-3 is pretty painful to watch from a fan standpoint. If they win games with it i'm all for it, but not many teams have used a left wing lock as their base forecheck. They used a variation of the 1-2-2 trap when Eaves started out.
    Not all forechecks are run the same. Eaves sounds like this 1-1-3 is going to be more aggressive in the offensive zone.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post

Now back to your regular scheduled deer humping...

Whatever, goat-raper.

http://oakdale.patch.com/articles/co...at-at-axdahl-s
      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        Not all forechecks are run the same. Eaves sounds like this 1-1-3 is going to be more aggressive in the offensive zone.
        Sounds like it. I wonder how aggressive the locking wing can be when it's his job to help clog the opponent's transition and create turnovers. We shall find out, though it would be nice to eventually SEE how it works.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

True, but no matter how aggressive you run a 1-1-3 its going to slow things down a bit. I refrain from saying more until I actually see a game, but I like I said if it wins games I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
            True, but no matter how aggressive you run a 1-1-3 its going to slow things down a bit. I refrain from saying more until I actually see a game, but I like I said if it wins games I'm all for it.
            Not with the way Eaves plans to run it. Wisconsin looked really good using it in both first periods against Northern. They just couldn't sustain it for three periods. We'll see how it goes on weekend #2.

Comment

Not with the way Eaves plans to run it. Wisconsin looked really good using it in both first periods against Northern. They just couldn't sustain it for three periods. We'll see how it goes on weekend #2.
              Statistically, it looks like the 3 1 1 worked for 4 periods and not for 2. I'm happy for 3 points on the road, but averaging 2 goals/game is not good. It isn't like UMD has mega-stud goaltending or anything, but I did not see either of the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Statistically, it looks like the 3 1 1 worked for 4 periods and not for 2. I'm happy for 3 points on the road, but averaging 2 goals/game is not good. It isn't like UMD has mega-stud goaltending or anything, but I did not see either of the games.
                Wisconsin played without two of their top six forwards...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  Yeah! More excuses for below expectation performance!

I don't care how aggressive you run the 1-1-3 forecheck, success is absolutely dictated by the ability to gain and maintain puck possession when confronted by superior numbers by the defense on a regular basis. When it works it should result in better scoring chances, but when you don't maintain pick possession, the other team will get a very easy clear particular against the 3rd and 4th lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    Yeah! More excuses for below expectation performance!

I don't care how aggressive you run the 1-1-3 forecheck, success is absolutely dictated by the ability to gain and maintain puck possession when confronted by superior numbers by the defense on a regular basis. When it works it should result in better scoring chances, but when you don't maintain pick possession, the other team will get a very easy clear particular against the 3rd and 4th lines.
                    Funny that you should bring this up as one of Wisconsin's better lines all weekend was their so called "fourth line" of Ryan Little-Dahl-Sean Little. Believe it or not, that line sustained more pressure in the offensive zone than any other unit in the Badger lineup all weekend. Now, that group certainly doesn't have the talent level of some of the other groups so they weren't rewarded with any points this weekend for their efforts, but they were able to create offense for large stretches of time in both games.

Overall I think it's going to take some time for the offense to be consistent. I guess it is an excuse saying that Wisconsin was without two top six forwards, but well, they kind of were. I projected Kerdiles to be about a 25 point guy this year and with Lee on the power-play, probably a 30-35 point guy. I'm sorry, but the two guys who are in the lineup because of them being out (Sean Little and Matt Paape) can't make up for that, even though I like what those two bring to the table.

It's certainly not going to be Wisconsin's highest scoring team of all time, but there have been period this season where Wisconsin has absolutely dominated the offensive zone with this new forchecking system. I'd especially look back to the first periods of both games vs Northern Michigan.

Wisconsin has yet to put together a full game, but when they do, look out.

Comment

While I don't often agree with a certain someone's "Nothing to see, nothing's wrong, let's rearrange the deck chairs!" "Just wait, you'll see!" "You don't know what I know!" mantra(s) around here, I believe that it's too early to grip about the offense or anything else. Patience Iago.

We just got 3 points on the road in the WCHA at Duluth. That's an outstanding response to a lackluster opening weekend. All that matters at this point is getting points until things (hopefully) start to click more.

Coming back from down 2 in the third shows some sackage that we wouldn't have seen last year at this point.

Of course, I'd have liked at least a win out of the NMU series, but I'm content to wait a few more weeks before I start the Fire Eaves thread.

Comment

This is true. I don't think it's an excuse, but it is a fact. How well did Green Bay do w/o Jordy Nelson? Earl Boykins is no Jordy Nelson and Little & Paape are no Lee or Kerdiles. I think it's going to take some time for it to gel as well and taking 3 of 4 pts during the training process is good and the 3 pts in the bank is a plus. If UW wants to fight for 4th place, they'll need to win league games and I'd rather see them win those than the n/c games, if I had to choose.

Comment

Grade one MCL injury for Kerdiles. No surgery required, but he'll be out a few weeks. Likely to return one week before he's eligible to play vs Denver.

Comment

That guy can't catch a break.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              That guy can't catch a break.
                              Karma has a weird way of working itself out. At least all the bad stuff is happening at the start of the season...

Comment

Put him in a rubber room with no internet, phones or scooters. Allow no "personal advisers" to visit.

Comment

Working...
                                X