Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Bag's tweets that Zulinick was hurt in practice today and it didn't look good.

Things just keep getting better.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      Didn't win the WCHA regular season title and didn't win the WCHA playoff title.

You want to be the undisputed best team, sweep all three.
      Sorry, calling MAJOR BS on this.

The Badgers won every elimination game that actually mattered. They also won the 3rd place game against Minnesota that clinched the #1 overall seed.

They were the national champs and no one else has any legitimate claim.

Pretty sure that the Gophers would gladly trade the MacNaughton and the Sioux would gladly trade the Broadmoor for what we got.
      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Isnt the backup goaltender part of the team? Shouldn't the best team be able to overcome the adversity of injuries?

Who knows how NCAAs playout if Elliott had played nearly every ge that season.

I believe that UW was the best team that season, but given the results when Elliott was injured and the fact that they didnt win the Final Five WITH Elliott in net it can be argued that they were not the best team, just had the best goaltender.

The Badgers were the best team that year pretty much from start to finish with a hiccup in the middle. Who was better that year? You can only argue that they weren't the best if you can make the case for someone else.

Best team of all time? Of course not. Best team of 05-06? Without a doubt.
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

so Zulinick is injured (injury not disclosed yet afaik)...Zengerle out another month, and Kerdiles out 2 more weeks.

While these injuries and ncaa suspension are uncontrollable ("control what you can control") what I'd REALLY like to know is how long does Eaves get after this season?

when they go 5 of 7 years out of the NCAA's how much leeway does he get? they'll have 1 year left to make hay with an upperclassmen roster and then the massive turnover and the effing "youth" excuse again for 2 consecutive seasons. will they need to go 7 of 10 seasons out of the NCAA's in order for Alvarez to get off his *** and fire him?

I guess what I'm saying is I'm off the Eaves bandwagon. I was on-board hardcore from year 1 through year 7. year 7 I began to have some questions but still had faith. the last 4 years (including this season) I've lost confidence that he can get this team where they need to be, a year in and year out contender.

Enrico Blasi, please consider how beautiful Madison is...thanks
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

What has constantly amazed me is that players at UW just don't seem to show much offensive improvement over their time at UW. They may make incromental improvements from year to year, but never seem to have that "breakout" season where they can become an offensive threat. Since once they leave UW they start RACKING up the points in the ECHL and AHL it's clear that they are improving, implying that it is the system that UW wants to run that is the problem.
            This is a huge factor. F's just don't get better offensively under Eaves. The balance between grinders and scorers is also out of wack. You can't bring in 1 F scorer per year and expect to be any good. UW never ends up with more than 3 scorers on the team at any one time as one usually leaves early per year. Eaves' teams have always been scoring challanged, that is really his downfall. He's landing very good to excellent D, hit and miss on G, and mostly miss on F.

This So F class is pretty much doing nothing, but they weren't a really highly rated bunch either.

Only 3 Canadians on the team as well, and 2 are on the 2nd line and 1 is the "starting" goalie.

Eaves personality & recruiting....not everyone clicks with everyone, that's life. Kerdiles seems like he's just about give his left nut to play for Eaves, Kessel wanted no part of UW. Eaves' own kids did not want to play for Sauer.

2006....There's no way to expect Cons to play as well as Elliott while he was filling in, or then he'd be the starter or they would have been splitting time. Even when Cons was the starter the next year he wasn't nearly as good as Elliott.

For what it's worth, the schedule now through mid January isn't "tough", they could get to .500 by then. Which is sucky, but trending positively.
            Last edited by Timothy A; 11-20-2012, 11:35 PM.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              Don't mean to put you on the spot, but one can only think you are mentioning Zach Stepan......I could be wrong
              That would be a logical person to guess.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                I guess what I'm saying is I'm off the Eaves bandwagon. I was on-board hardcore from year 1 through year 7. year 7 I began to have some questions but still had faith. the last 4 years (including this season) I've lost confidence that he can get this team where they need to be, a year in and year out contender.
                So let me get this straight, you didn't have confidence in Eaves getting the team 'where they need to be' after year 7 even though they played in the national championship game in year 8 and won 28 games?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  So let me get this straight, you didn't have confidence in Eaves getting the team 'where they need to be' after year 7 even though they played in the national championship game in year 8 and won 28 games?
                  after the first 4 years I thought things were going great and the team was headed in the right direction. Unfortunately 2 years after the NCAA championship I began to feel that wasn't the case and the missed NCAA's, lack of forward scoring depth (and what I thought was a strange recruiting angle with too many grinders from Wisconsin, I'll just say it) began to prove my bad feeling correct.

Look, I don't like saying it but I feel it must be said. He's not cutting it. Not at a school that once was (and STILL SHOULD BE) a perennial power. I don't think average is acceptable and I don't think watching a team full of 8-9 grinding forwards is fun and they certainly won't win hardware with a line-up like that. what's more I think the scenario I laid out could come to fruition easily. miss the NCAA's again this year, 5 of 7 years, then they've got 1, just 1 year to try and make the NCAA's with an upperclassmen team. then it's 2 consecutive years of excuses about youth.

If you ask me about 2010 I'll be honest with you. I kind of feel that team overachieved. the defense may have been the greatest single collection in UW history but at forward they had Stepan and Smith and the mercurial Davies and the drop-off after that was significant, they didn't have the depth needed. I didn't expect them to win more than 1-2 games in the NCAA's that year and they surprised me. but they lost, they got smoked. and in doing so they exposed another problem that I've not addressed. the goalie played like **** that night. would that have happened if Howie was still around?

I'm not a Sauer guy but those graphs below are telling. I really wish you were around to have seen those 80's or early 90's teams. Scoring was never a problem and the goaltending was almost always spectacular. they'd smoke the hell out anything Eaves has put on the ice including the 06 team (who I hold a special place for as I loved that senior class' work ethic and attitude). People say that's no longer achievable but I disagree. DU, Nodak, Michigan, BC (the powers like Wisconsin last was way back in the early 90's) are pretty ****ed consistently good to great and seemingly always in contention.

I don't care about football or basketball @ UW nearly as much as hockey, as such and having had tickets since 1984 and watched greatness at the Dane County Colesium I want more and expect more. A LOT more. Winning consistently needs to once again be the norm and UW needs a coach that at a minimum demands that and sets a workable plan to do it. go back to recruiting Canada heavily and get a 4-6 forwards, keep mining Minnesota and get back into Michigan as well.
                  Last edited by solovsfett; 11-21-2012, 07:07 AM.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

If you ask me about 2010 I'll be honest with you. I kind of feel that team overachieved. the defense may have been the greatest single collection in UW history but at forward they had Stepan and Smith and the mercurial Davies and the drop-off after that was significant, they didn't have the depth needed. I didn't expect them to win more than 1-2 games in the NCAA's that year and they surprised me. but they lost, they got smoked. and in doing so they exposed another problem that I've not addressed. the goalie played like **** that night. would that have happened if Howie was still around?

Exactly how I felt about that team. Never felt like a championship team and in the end, they weren't.

The rest of your post was spot on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      Sorry, calling MAJOR BS on this.

The Badgers won every elimination game that actually mattered. They also won the 3rd place game against Minnesota that clinched the #1 overall seed.

They were the national champs and no one else has any legitimate claim.

Pretty sure that the Gophers would gladly trade the MacNaughton and the Sioux would gladly trade the Broadmoor for what we got.
                      Agreed. I would gladly swap a Broadmoor (or a MacNaughton...or both) for a National Title.

To put this into perspective, using my Greatest Teams of All-Time Formula for the 2005-2006 season, Wisconsin was #1 (#42 All-Time) at 170.8531 Points. The next highest team was BU (#73 All-Time) at 149.33 Points. FWIW, Minnesota was 3rd (#106 All-Time) at 135.3386 Points, and North Dakota was 4th (#163 All-Time) at 115.0058 Points. IMO, 21+ points is a significant gap between 1st and 2nd from that season. To me, that says that Wisconsin was clearly the best team in 2005-2006.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        Agreed. I would gladly swap a Broadmoor (or a MacNaughton...or both) for a National Title.

To put this into perspective, using my Greatest Teams of All-Time Formula for the 2005-2006 season, Wisconsin was #1 (#42 All-Time) at 170.8531 Points. The next highest team was BU (#73 All-Time) at 149.33 Points. FWIW, Minnesota was 3rd (#106 All-Time) at 135.3386 Points, and North Dakota was 4th (#163 All-Time) at 115.0058 Points. IMO, 21+ points is a significant gap between 1st and 2nd from that season. To me, that says that Wisconsin was clearly the best team in 2005-2006.
                        Nerd.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          Exactly how I felt about that team. Never felt like a championship team and in the end, they weren't.

The rest of your post was spot on as well.
                          thanks Gurt, ...2010 was an odd year, at times I couldn't tell if it was smoke and mirrors or if the team was that good.

Comment

thanks Gurt, ...2010 was an odd year, at times I couldn't tell if it was smoke and mirrors or if the team was that good.

We were good, very good even. Just not great.

Still, had someone done us the favor and eliminated BC...

Comment

If you ask me about 2010 I'll be honest with you. I kind of feel that team overachieved. the defense may have been the greatest single collection in UW history but at forward they had Stepan and Smith and the mercurial Davies and the drop-off after that was significant, they didn't have the depth needed. I didn't expect them to win more than 1-2 games in the NCAA's that year and they surprised me. but they lost, they got smoked. and in doing so they exposed another problem that I've not addressed. the goalie played like **** that night. would that have happened if Howie was still around.
                              I don't disagree with a lot of things you say, I just thought it was interesting that you said you had no faith in Eaves to get the team where they needed to be, and then he led them to the NCAA championship game.

You may not have thought that was a very good team, but I said from the outset of that season that I felt it was a national championship caliber club. You're underselling the hell out of the talent that was assembled on that roster. There's no question in my mind that Wisconsin rolled out the best defensive core in the history of the program that season. McDonagh, Gardiner, Smith, and Goloubef have all played in the NHL and Schultz could have if he wanted to and would be if there was no lockout. Additionally, McDonagh, Gardiner, Schultz, and Smith look like they're on pace to become stars in the league at some point if they continue on the track they are on.

Where you're underselling the team the most is offensively. Sure, Craig Smith and Derek Stepan are off to fast starts in the NHL and were outstanding players on that team. Michael Davies was also great and recorded a 50 point season (bet most don't remember that). But how can you forget Hobey Baker award winner Blake Geoffrion? Another 50 point producer who was great on faceoffs and provided much more leadership than he was given credit for. One of the best kids you'll ever meet. He's the straw that stirred the drink offensively for that club.

I fail to see how a team that was tied for the NCAA lead in goals scored that season with 171 (and 40 more than any other WCHA team) didn't have offensive depth. If they didn't have offensive depth, they must have had Gretzky suiting up in someones uniform up front that I missed along the way.

For reference, the 2009-10 team had seven double digit goal scorers. The 2005-06 team only had six double digit goal scorers. The 2009-10 team had ten, 20 point scorers. The 2005-06 team had nine 20 point scorers. The 2009-10 team had four fifty point scorers, the 2005-06 team only had two.

Did they win a title? No...but that's not entirely surprising in a one and done playoff situation. Boston College was a darn fine team that season and played better that day. But to discredit how good that team was is disingenuous.

"I say, hey look, man, tell me you don't like my firm, tell me you don't like my idea, tell me you don't like my ------- neck tie, but don't tell me that team overachieved."
                              Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 11-21-2012, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Well, Chuck beat me to the punch, but I read this and was thinking "Wait, didn't Geoffrion win the Hobey Baker that year?" He also is a good example (though perhaps an exception rather than rule) of a forward getting a lot better as his career progressed as a Badger.

The 2010 team was fun to watch, was championship-worthy and their loss to BC really stung.

Comment

Working...
                                X