Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I just had an epiphany - BILL HOWARD is THE guy. Of course Howie pretty much got cast aside by Eaves, but maybe the wounds have healed? They are familiar with each other.
    Someone mentioned this to me on twitter and I was dumbfounded. Why would they add another goalie coach? I'm not sure what that accomplishes. They need someone who coaches defensemen or at minimum someone who can coach forwards and Eaves will take more responsibility with the d-men.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

[QUOTE=Timothy A; I just had an epiphany - BILL HOWARD is THE guy. Of course Howie pretty much got cast aside by Eaves, but maybe the wounds have healed? They are familiar with each other.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of apostrophes, how about Jim Archibald? He was a forward, but he embraced the physical game.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        Someone mentioned this to me on twitter and I was dumbfounded. Why would they add another goalie coach? I'm not sure what that accomplishes. They need someone who coaches defensemen or at minimum someone who can coach forwards and Eaves will take more responsibility with the d-men.
        I think one reason Howie was cast aside is he also wanted to coach the D-men, at least that what I recall as something he was angling for toward the end.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Haven't seen anyone mention Luke Strand. His name had come up whhen Butters was hired. Quality coach! Currently Asst head coach with Calgary Flames farm team. His family is still in the Appleton area.

Comment

Originally posted by sinbin5 View Post
            Haven't seen anyone mention Luke Strand. His name had come up whhen Butters was hired. Quality coach! Currently Asst head coach with Calgary Flames farm team. His family is still in the Appleton area.
            He's a name that came to mind, but again it's a guy who already has a job. Would he leave his job in the AHL? I'd be surprised.

Comment

I don't think that there's any doubt that this should be a high-demand position. The ***-kicker is all in the timing and I'm sure that's why Eaves was trying to have Butters hang on for at least the end of the year. The new person would seem to have to be local, have a job flexible enough to have time to pick up major D1 coaching responsibilities and then be good knowing that it may very well be an interim job. That's a lot to ask.

Comment

Kevin Hartzell.....

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                  I don't think that there's any doubt that this should be a high-demand position. The ***-kicker is all in the timing and I'm sure that's why Eaves was trying to have Butters hang on for at least the end of the year. The new person would seem to have to be local, have a job flexible enough to have time to pick up major D1 coaching responsibilities and then be good knowing that it may very well be an interim job. That's a lot to ask.
                  This is where it is very important for any head coach to have a wide circle of professional contacts. IMHO, the best choice is a former Badger ( specifically, someone who already knows Eaves, the program and UW and can sell all three to recruits (and the parents) from day one) who just stopped playing but very much wants to get into coaching, someone who isn't very established in a non-hockey job but would find the experience very valuable going forward even if it didn't last any more than just for the remainder of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    Maybe you never listened to Howie on the radio (I did for years), but he knows WAY more than just goaltending. On an interim basis, he could easily run the PK and and help with D, but just an interim basis.

Apparently Eaves had 15 people contact him about the opening, a really good sign. If you think about it, if you are a coach on a midpack college team or any AHL team, and you had the chance to work with a guy like Eaves at a school like WI, you'd jump at the chance and your current boss really couldn't blame you for moving up in the world.

From a purely fan standpoint, the thing I'm most bothered by in all of this is the recruiting impact. Butters was actively recruiting, and that is all about building relationships, and now all those are abruptly severed.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Apparently Eaves had 15 people contact him about the opening, a really good sign. If you think about it, if you are a coach on a midpack college team or any AHL team, and you had the chance to work with a guy like Eaves at a school like WI, you'd jump at the chance and your current boss really couldn't blame you for moving up in the world.
                      About the only time I don't have a problem with an assistant coach leaving during the season is if they are taking a head coaching position somewhere (or for personal reasons where coaching needs to take a back seat) because head coaching positions are a clear step up. Imagine how we, as fans, would feel if one of UW's assistant coaches had left to become an assistant coach at another school in the middle of the season. How could that person be trusted in the future to not do the same thing to UW if a "better" opportunity becomes available? While their are right ways to hire from another program in the middle of the season, by and large it just makes me uncomfortable about the character of the person doing the hiring and the person who is leaving.

Comment

I wonder if Luke Strand (former Norbert's Asst. Coach, former Gamblers Asst. Coach, former Sioux City Head Coach) might have an interest in the position? Oddly enough he is an Assistant for the Abbotsford Heat under former UW Assistant Troy Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                          I wonder if Luke Strand (former Norbert's Asst. Coach, former Gamblers Asst. Coach, former Sioux City Head Coach) might have an interest in the position? Oddly enough he is an Assistant for the Abbotsford Heat under former UW Assistant Troy Ward.
                          Yeah, someone mentioned that earlier in this thread and I think he'd love the job. That said, like most coaches with jobs it's very unlikely they would leave in the middle of the season.

But I've obviously been wrong before.

Comment

Maybe you never listened to Howie on the radio (I did for years), but he knows WAY more than just goaltending. On an interim basis, he could easily run the PK and and help with D, but just an interim basis.

WHOA, WHOA, time out, bro! If 15 "people" DID inquire, are they currently working? If not, why not? A mid-pack assistant? Why is he mid-pack? In addition Tim, if I were coaching in the AHL, taking a college position IS NOT step up. Keep in mind, the AHL is one step from the bigs.

I know they're in a ****ing bind, but it's best to take their time and not panic, which I believe Eaves will do.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

[QUOTE=MadCityRich;5545140] In addition Tim, if I were coaching in the AHL, taking a college position IS NOT step up. Keep in mind, the AHL is one step from the bigs.
                              [QUOTE]

AHL assistant, if I didn't make that clear........Anyway, you underestimate the power of cheese :O

This schedule is sure sucking as far as getting into the flow of hockey season. I feel like the season hasn't started yet. Next weekend I'll probably miss the games as I will be Appleton with the wifepoo for a little non-children along RNR weekend. The biggest issues is the cable channels the hotel will offer, but at least we have a dvr now. Looks like the FSW and BTN, I'll probably get a chance to see the Friday game, or at least pces of it anyway. Too bad I'll miss the weekend game mud slinging with the rodent posters, but with all the crap going on @UW, we'll be lucky to sneak a point out of there. Rumpel is going to have to be amazing.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

If you haven't already heard, Blake Geoffrion suffered a serious head injury last night in an AHL game when his head hit the ice. He was rushed into surgery and is till in intensive care this morning. His parents were at the game and are obviously with him. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Comment

Working...
                                X