Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

    This Mark Johnson thing is always comical. IF Eaves got canned, Gwoz better be the first person they call and offer him whatever he wants.

    Attendance isn't an issue just for hockey, they are selling ticket 4 packs for basketball, and it wasn't long ago that you'd have to donate huge $$$ just to get a chance to get season tickets. While I certainly think attendence is down due to poor play, I think there is more to it than that. Besides the economy, UW is nearly raping people for parking now, w/ the closest lots going up $10 a few years back. I think there is a bunch of factors in the attendence woes, and they all hit at the same time.
    Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
    Originally posted by UWisco
    It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

    Comment


    • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

      Funny seeing opinions when UW is struggling. Some people blame recruiting too many NHL guys (early departures), others say not enough NHL talent!

      That's what makes America beautiful.

      Comment


      • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

        Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        Funny seeing opinions when UW is struggling. Some people blame recruiting too many NHL guys (early departures), others say not enough NHL talent!

        That's what makes America beautiful.
        I was about to post something about how beautiful the discussion (Badger fan frustration) is from a Sioux fan's perspective, but that's not true, especially in this last year with these two teams competing in the same conference. It has been a great, FUN rivalry, and both programs are proud. I don't know any Sioux fans who don't love the Madison road trip. They will continue to play each other, but it will be different, and I will miss this rivalry/relationship a LOT. Both need to be as good as they can be this year and leave nothing on the ice.

        So, I hope the Badgers turn it around and start smoking some folks. If they don't you might just as well stay your sorry arses at home the first weekend in February.

        Comment


        • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

          Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
          That is the perception that keeps it from happening. I wont go any farther with this. Too many on ice issues to discuss with this team.

          Mark Zengerle is a fine player. He will be missed. With a full team we will be competitive in the WCHA.
          Until then it does not look good.
          Injuries happen. The Sioux played with 15-16 players for the 27 games last year and won the final five. Other players need to step up. It's as simple as that.
          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

          Comment


          • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

            Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            Funny seeing opinions when UW is struggling. Some people blame recruiting too many NHL guys (early departures), others say not enough NHL talent!

            Either way, there's one person who is ultimately responsible for team makeup. Eaves' inability to put teams together that work has become the norm. Doesn't really matter why - it's his job and he's failing.

            Comment


            • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

              Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              I guarantee you Mark Johnson will not be the new coach. he was part of Sauer's coaching staff and an important part HEAD RECRUITER. I don't know about you but I recall the talent level dropped under his watch, he didn't travel outside WI to evaluate talent and I don't know of a successful recruiter anywhere who doesn't travel
              I’ve seen this brought up many times about Mark Johnson and HIS poor recruiting under Jeff Sauer. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. This isn’t just meant for Solo but the questions I have are:
              #1 When someone is recruiting aren’t they are out trying to sell the program and playing for the head coach? How easy could it have been late in the Sauer era to go to high end recruits and say come to Wisconsin and play for Jeff Sauer?
              #2 “He didn’t travel outside of WI”. Jeff Sauer was the head coach and the head coach calls the shots. If it wasn’t his idea where Johnson was going and he thought it was problem shouldn’t he have done something about it?
              Wisconsin Badgers

              National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

              Comment


              • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                This Mark Johnson thing is always comical. IF Eaves got canned, Gwoz better be the first person they call and offer him whatever he wants.
                This would be a slam freaking dunk - end of story - book it. There is no one better qualified to coach UW than him. I'd even say he's more qualified than Eaves based on his team's average finish in the WCHA vs UW under Eaves.

                Practice.... The absolutely comical point in all this is Labahn from an on ice player development standpoint is not an asset to UW men's hockey. All it is is a more physically convenient place to practice. They should have built it to match the KC's sheet size, then if they needed to practice on a smaller rink, go to the Colosseum or Eagle's Nest or where ever or put a set of board in @ Labahn to mimic the smaller sheet size, and then practice. Labahn was supposed to be the fix all to the continual scheduling issues with hockey and BB. Very clearly, it's not. I'm not blaming Eaves, and Eaves by saying what he said, was making a point to the A Dept that they need to still practice there, which they do, but they shouldn't have to if they had built LaBahn right. As a fan, I am rather disappointed in what a flop LaBahn is on multiple points, and this building NOT being the solution to the scheduling issues at the KC is the sour frosting on the dry cake.

                One more thing....ditch the 3 1 1. It's obvious it's not working. It would take an NHL team a full preseason to install it and perfect it. UW had 1 week to install.
                Last edited by Timothy A; 11-05-2012, 02:01 PM.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                Comment


                • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                  Originally posted by GoBucky! View Post
                  I’ve seen this brought up many times about Mark Johnson and HIS poor recruiting under Jeff Sauer. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. This isn’t just meant for Solo but the questions I have are:
                  #1 When someone is recruiting aren’t they are out trying to sell the program and playing for the head coach? How easy could it have been late in the Sauer era to go to high end recruits and say come to Wisconsin and play for Jeff Sauer?
                  #2 “He didn’t travel outside of WI”. Jeff Sauer was the head coach and the head coach calls the shots. If it wasn’t his idea where Johnson was going and he thought it was problem shouldn’t he have done something about it?
                  the article that stated Johnson didn't travel seemed to indicate it was his decision. Wouldn't you think the HC would want someone traveling to Minnesota and Canada to get kids?
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


                  "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

                  "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

                  Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

                  Comment


                  • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                    Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                    Injuries happen. The Sioux played with 15-16 players for the 27 games last year and won the final five. Other players need to step up. It's as simple as that.
                    now that's some perspective. ouch. I have to agree w/you and Gurtholfin
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


                    "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

                    "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

                    Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

                    Comment


                    • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                      Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      This would be a slam freaking dunk - end of story - book it. There is no one better qualified to coach UW than him. I'd even say he's more qualified than Eaves based on his team's average finish in the WCHA vs UW under Eaves.

                      Practice.... The absolutely comical point in all this is Labahn from an on ice player development standpoint is not an asset to UW men's hockey. All it is is a more physically convenient place to practice. They should have built it to match the KC's sheet size, then if they needed to practice on a smaller rink, go to the Colosseum or Eagle's Nest or where ever or put a set of board in @ Labahn to mimic the smaller sheet size, and then practice. Labahn was supposed to be the fix all to the continual scheduling issues with hockey and BB. Very clearly, it's not. I'm not blaming Eaves, and Eaves by saying what he said, was making a point to the A Dept that they need to still practice there, which they do, but they shouldn't have to if they had built LaBahn right. As a fan, I am rather disappointed in what a flop LaBahn is on multiple points, and this building NOT being the solution to the scheduling issues at the KC is the sour frosting on the dry cake.

                      One more thing....ditch the 3 1 1. It's obvious it's not working. It would take an NHL team a full preseason to install it and perfect it. UW had 1 week to install.
                      I'm not sure that you could be any more wrong on ALL three points if you tried.

                      1.) I believe that Gwoz was the first choice to be head coach back when Eaves was hired, he didn't take it then and I see no reason for him to take it now. I suspect that it would take any offer on the order of $500k/year to do it, and if you already think that the ticket prices are to expensive, that would only cause them to jump even more.

                      Gwoz may be a better coach than Eaves, but considering that Eaves has a decade as the HC at UW, I'd say that he is at least as qualified as anyone to be the Head Coach. Do claim otherwise is absolutely asinine.

                      2.) The issue is that the KC is a multi-use facility and nothing short of building a hockey only arena was ever going to completely fix the scheduling issues. What LaBahn does is keep the team on campus and not having to continually shift from the off campus practice location down near the Colosseum to the on campus game location. That, in the long run should be good for player development (and reduce the time they spend on the mopeds, which is a VERY good thing). The stupid decision was to make the ice sheet in Kohl Center neither Olympic nor NHL sized, and to make LaBahn also non-standard sized would have just compounded that idiotic decision. Anyone who has ever played hockey before knows that each set of boards have their own unique reactions and bounces that can't be duplicated, practicing regularly on your home ice is part of what gives a team a home ice advantage, something that NO practice facility is ever going to be able to duplicate regardless of the size of the ice. If the size of the ice was the issue, Eaves should have made that clear to the powers that be BEFORE the weekend or made arraignments to practice on an Olympic sized sheet somewhere.

                      3.) To ditch the 3-1-1 as this point is just a foolish over-reaction. Sure they are going through the growing pains now, but to shift away from it will but them back a square one with whatever new system is implemented. Putting in a new forecheck is more an evolutionary process as it is a revolutionary process. It is way to soon to say that it isn't going to work (even if I'm not convinced that it was the right decision) but if Eaves and staff wanted to try and make this change, they have to remain committed to the system for the whole season. These type of systems take time and repetition to get operating smoothly, to change now just kills ANY momentum that they have built up. Plus, it wasn't as if this team was dominating with the old system in place last year which would be the only thing that they could switch into with any hope of being any better immediately.

                      Comment


                      • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                        Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        now that's some perspective. ouch. I have to agree w/you and Gurtholfin
                        Eaves teams at UW have ALWAYS crumpled under adversity. Even the 05-06 team became an absolute mess when Elliott was injured.

                        Comment


                        • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                          Wrote about the ice surface tonight if anyone cares. Dug up an article from 2007 when Eaves talked about shrinking the Kohl Center ice to 200x90.

                          LINK

                          Comment


                          • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                            Originally posted by Almington View Post
                            I believe that Gwoz was the first choice to be head coach back when Eaves was hired, he didn't take it then and I see no reason for him to take it now. I suspect that it would take any offer on the order of $500k/year to do it, and if you already think that the ticket prices are to expensive, that would only cause them to jump even more.

                            Gwoz may be a better coach than Eaves, but considering that Eaves has a decade as the HC at UW, I'd say that he is at least as qualified as anyone to be the Head Coach. Do claim otherwise is absolutely asinine.
                            FWIW, Gwoz has flirted with openings at both Michigan State and Penn State in recent years. While the NCHC is (probably) a positive for Denver coming out of the conference shakeup, Gwoz realizes the earning potential in the Big Ten market. Obviously some believe that Gwoz was just posturing to force Denver to extend his contract (which they did in February), but I don't think it's the lock that others say it is that he'll be at Denver forever.

                            Comment


                            • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                              Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              FWIW, Gwoz has flirted with openings at both Michigan State and Penn State in recent years. While the NCHC is (probably) a positive for Denver coming out of the conference shakeup, Gwoz realizes the earning potential in the Big Ten market. Obviously some believe that Gwoz was just posturing to force Denver to extend his contract (which they did in February), but I don't think it's the lock that others say it is that he'll be at Denver forever.
                              Don't get me wrong, Gwoz is a great coach and he should be at the top of any short list when a marque program is looking for a new head coach. What is clear to me is that he knows that he has a good thing at Denver (how things will change in the future with the NCHA is TBD) and that to leave it will have to be a near perfect fit for him, and I don't believe that UW is going to be that fit for him until the athletic department stops treating the hockey program as second rate.

                              As you point out, depending on how things shake out in the new world order that could change in a hurry.

                              Comment


                              • Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. 22 - Let's not have another cheesy thread title... Wait, W

                                Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                Eaves teams at UW have ALWAYS crumpled under adversity. Even the 05-06 team became an absolute mess when Elliott was injured.
                                truth. it was rather remarkable in 05-06 how they stumbled w/out Elliott, I mean Ells was fantastic but Connelly was a serviceable back-up (notable mistake/bad game being in GB I recall the oddball goal that seemed to walk in at 10mph from osu!)

                                with regard to Gwozdecky, I'm not sure if anyone else will recall this, at one point in the late 90's (IIRC) he was interviewed about taking the DU job and since he was a UW alum would he consider taking the reigns after Sauer, his response paraphrased "Wisconsin has had their time" so not only did he dismiss the idea he must also harbor some negative feelings about his time there?
                                Last edited by solovsfett; 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


                                "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

                                "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

                                Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X