Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Commence season

Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Exciting, hoping for big things. As
    Engined in the other thread, Copley gets the start tomorrow night.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Exciting, hoping for big things. As
      Engined in the other thread, Copley gets the start tomorrow night.
      Is that a V-8 or V-6?

+1 on the thread title.
      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Last edited by Twitch Boy; 10-11-2012, 02:08 AM. Reason: moar funnier
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Go huskies!

Comment

College Hockey News has their WCHA preview today. They picked Tech to finish 6th.

1. Minnesota
            2. North Dakota
            3. Denver
            4. Wisconsin
            5. St. Cloud State
            6. Michigan Tech
            7. Nebraska-Omaha
            8. Minnesota-Duluth
            9. Colorado College
            10. Minnesota State
            11. Bemidji State
            12. Alaska-Anchorage

Here's the other Tech related stuff.

Players to Watch
            Blake Pietila, Sophomore, Forward, Michigan Tech

The Huskies relied on a lot of young guys during last year's run to the Final Five, and Pietila was one of the leaders of that group. The New Jersey Devils pick tied for fourth on the team with 24 points last year, and he will be expected to improve on that and take on an even bigger role this year. If he and other forwards can continue to get better, a return trip to the Final Five should be within reach.
            Freshmen to Know
            Jujhar Khaira and Alex Petan, Forwards, Michigan Tech

The Huskies might not be the first team you think of for blue-chip freshmen, but these two guys qualify. Khaira ranked 10th in the BCHL with 79 points in 54 games and got picked in the third round by the Edmonton Oilers this summer. Petan is two years older, and actually had an even better BCHL season. He finished fourth in goals with 38 and sixth in points with 88.
            Michigan Tech

Head coach: Mel Pearson

Last season: 16-19-4 overall, 11-13-4 WCHA (8th)

Changes: Losing Josh Robinson, the reliable start last year, is tough, but Kevin Genoe has shown in the past that he can play well at this level. Rookies Pheonix Copley and Jamie Phillips have Tech fans really excited, though, as both have incredible upside. Quality forwards Brett Olson, Jordan Baker and Alex MacLeod are also gone.

Strengths: The Huskies have a good mix of skill and size returning at the blue line. Steven Seigo, an offensive-minded defenseman, and Sova, a big, physical blue-liner, anchor the unit. Brad Stebner, Riley Sweeney and Carl Nielsen all saw a lot of minutes in 2011-12, and they’ll be better with that experience.

Weaknesses: "We are going to miss some key seniors from last year’s team," Pearson said. "Going forward we’re going to have to find out who our next goaltender is. I do feel good about our offense, we do have seven of our top ten scorers back. On defense we’re fairly stable there. We didn’t lose a defenseman from last year, so that will be a big key.”

Outlook: Mel Pearson’s debut season in Houghton can only be considered a successful one. The Huskies won more conference games (11) and overall contests (16) last winter than they won in the previous three years combined. To top it all off, Michigan Tech upset Colorado College in the opening round of the WCHA playoffs to advance to the Final Five.

"The one thing this year is that we’re not going to be able to sneak up on anybody," Pearson said. "That will be the hardest part going forward – having some success and learning how to deal with it and taking the next step as a program.

David Johnstone, Blake Pietila and Furne are the catalysts up front, but Jacob Johnstone, Tanner Kero and Milos Gordic bring enough talent to the lineup to give Tech two solid scoring lines. Jujhar Khaira, a third-round selection of the Edmonton Oilers, is a big body with some real offensive upside, and he will be expected to manufacture offense from the start.

Comment

Great thread name and good luck
              Rinks Visited
              DCU Center
              Tulley Forum
              TD Garden
              Tsongas Arena
              J. Thom Lawler Arena
              Conte Forum
              Whittemore Center
              Agganis Arena
              Verizon Center
              Gutterson Fieldhouse
              Matthews Arena
              Thompson Arena
              Mullins Center
              Alfond Arena
              Schneider Arena
              Magness Arena
              Ingallas Arena
              Hart Center
              Prudential Center
              TD Bank Sports Center
              John A Ryan
              Lynah Rink
              Appleton Arena
              Cheel Arena
              Germain Arena
              XL Center
              Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

its on! please note change of venue

The first Blue Line Lunch of the 2012-2013 season will be held on Friday, October 19th from noon-1PM at the Continental Fire Co. on Montezuma Avenue in Houghton. Parking is available on the west end of the Continental Fire Co., across the street in the city parking lot, and in downtown Houghton.

The cost of the lunch is $9.00 per person and is open to all members of the community.

Head Hockey Coach Mel Pearson will be the featured speaker.

We will have a 50/50 raffle and a couple of giveaways.

Bring a friend and come out and show your support for our Division I hockey team as they take on the Minnesota Gophers!
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I'm more optimistic about this season than I have been about any other season. I just hope there's no letdown. I think Tech rolls tonight. Win by at least 4.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Kevin Pates notes that next year Tech will play at UMD.

http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/201...pening-lineup/
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

This just handed to me...
                      Mitt Romney has stated he would oppose any proposed plan which takes wins away from more successful programs and gives them to those who rank in the bottom 47% of NCAA RPI.
                      This would have been tough news for Tech fans just a few years ago, but now that we're headed for the upper half, I agree that the top teams should keep all their wins.

Ryan J
                      (Hey - I'm not the one who put politics in the subject line, I'm just putting it to use.)
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Several good stories from Stephen in today's Gazette. Things I did not know about Shields; he's now a Tech employee/PE instructor; and an interesting quote: "I've had a few opportunities to go to the pros. I could do that if I really wanted to do that. I made a commitment to these kids when they committed to coming here. They asked if I was going to be here and I said I would be."
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          Several good stories from Stephen in today's Gazette. Things I did not know about Shields; he's now a Tech employee/PE instructor; and an interesting quote: "I've had a few opportunities to go to the pros. I could do that if I really wanted to do that. I made a commitment to these kids when they committed to coming here. They asked if I was going to be here and I said I would be."
                          I thought that was interesting too. Sounds like we've got him for at least a couple more years.

Comment

Good night for sports fans. Tech hockey game and then Verlander and the Tigers in deciding Game 5. Where's Jack Morris when you need him?
                            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              What no link? I have to search or go to my tool bar?!!

Comment

Working...
                              X