Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    http://www.muskegonlumberjacks.com/news/newspage.php?news_id=959

Confirmed. Heinonen to Chicago and Leibinger to Waterloo.
    I knew that. Just curious if anyone, like maybe Shirtless, had any inside scoop as to why they pulled the trigger on that trade.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Very good comments by the coach today to a question as to why we have fewer wins than last year.

I agree with him, I think the team is measurably better in many ways than last year's, even if they do not have the wins. He also alluded to some very good recruiting classes and said he was real happy with what's coming.

I'm totally in support of his moves and I'm sure we will get there soon enough. He mentioned that Red took 5 years before the team was competitive. To be honest, wins or not and even though it is frustrating, I think it's real good what's happening.I'm really looking forward to the future, and who knows, we might win a few more this year too.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Ok, Tech needs to snap out of their two game funk. I can think of no better way than an "In the Crease" versions of today's one hit wonder. The artist's name is Bauer for crying out loud.
        I'll present one clean version as inspiration (love the guy with the compressed air hose in front of the car) and leave it up to all of you to view the other 100s of versions that I wouldn't link to here on this site.
        Ryan J

I think the Harlem Shake is worthless, but even I thought that the following was chuckle-worthy:

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          He mentioned that Red took 5 years before the team was competitive.
          As a fan, that's the only part of his answer I did not like hearing, even though it's true. Coaches shouldn't point to turnarounds at other programs to establish a padded schedule for their own reclamation project, IMHO. While I highly doubt it was Mel's intention, doing that comes off as a coach trying to write himself a free pass for X number of years. However, I don't dispute that 1984 Michigan and 2011 Michigan Tech were in similar situations when they made their big hires. The difference is, I don't think Red was under quite the same pressure to succeed at U of M where hockey is, at best, the #2b to basketball's #2a and both will always take a backseat to football. Mel has a lot more on his shoulders trying to fix what used to be the only Tech sports team that mattered. Frankly, the program has finished in the bottom half of the standings for so long, and with the bad taste of the Misfit Toys Conference still looming large, I don't think many in the community believe he can actually do it.

Comment

Mel has a lot more on his shoulders trying to fix what used to be the only Tech sports team that mattered. Frankly, the program has finished in the bottom half of the standings for so long, and with the bad taste of the Misfit Toys Conference still looming large, I don't think many in the community believe he can actually do it.
            While I totally agree on both counts, He does have a lot of pressure, way more than we know, and the faculty that I know are, as you say, very skeptical. Still I'm convinced it can and will be done. I see pieces to the puzzle falling into place and I like them, i'm just impatient that they don't come in faster.
            I would say also that Tech fans that get to go to the games are among the most sophisticated around, they know their hockey and I like that they do. Much more so than most places I've been.( for instance Munn) I don't think even in North Dakota, that fans are more knowledgeable than ours, so it makes it harder for Mel, because people ask some pretty deep questions and don't take fluff answers.I also like that they don't boo like in wisconsin. I'm sure it's got to wear on him after a while, just look at the bags under his eyes.

I liked what he said about having credibility with the NHL for a change. One more thing; I think it will take a few years of winning for the student body to come back to the games like they used to be. I think a lot of students are apathetic about the team now.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

As a fan, that's the only part of his answer I did not like hearing, even though it's true. Coaches shouldn't point to turnarounds at other programs to establish a padded schedule for their own reclamation project, IMHO. While I highly doubt it was Mel's intention, doing that comes off as a coach trying to write himself a free pass for X number of years.
              I agree. that's exactly what i thought. Look at Mankato. they were bottom of the barrel last year. This year under a new coach, ranked #9 in the country and poised to make the NCAA tournament. i've heard 30 years of excuses. At some point, the excuses have to stop.

That being said, i do believe in Mel and what he is doing. i believe he can build a consistent winner. it just might take a little longer than i expected.
              Last edited by eye4talent; 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM.
              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Tech is headed in the right direction. The losses are not surprising, given the youth of this team. Anyone (seemingly most, given the reduced energy on this thread) who is truly shocked and dismayed by the season was being far too optimistic. Teams this young, especially goaltending, don't win consistently at this level. Period. The program is in good hands, and I don't just mean Mel--Damon, Bill and Suzanne are first class also. Top notch folks, the bunch of them. Trust me when I say they are head and shoulders ahead of their competition. I would know, because my son has met a lot of that competition in the past months; that's why the recruiting results are what they are. Things will turn. Everyone needs to relax a bit, and I think that's what Mel is really trying to say. The only mistake Mel can make is to get down and have that infect the kids--he is clearly not doing that. As for the nWCHA, I consider it an advantage in recruiting, not a detriment. MTU will be in the hunt for a playoff spot on an annual basis, starting next year.

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                  I agree. that's exactly what i thought. Look at Mankato. they were bottom of the barrel last year. This year under a new coach, ranked #9 in the country and poised to make the NCAA tournament. i've heard 30 years of excuses. At some point, the excuses have to stop.

That being said, i do believe in Mel and what he is doing. i believe he can build a consistent winner. it just might take a little longer than i expected.
                  Agree with you - to a point. But It was easier for Hastings to turn it around here because he had more talent left to him. You guys have some incredible Fr-So players like Petan, Pietela, Khaira, Eick, but not much in the Jr-Sr group (no offense) and that lack of depth is hurting you now. The biggest advantages we had over you last weekend was 3rd and 4 lines that played a lot of minutes and we wore you down. That won't be corrected very easily, even in one more year. But Mel has put together a very solid core.

Comment

I was wondering if all conferences of Div. 1 hockey have this many bye weeks in a season or is it just the WCHA? It seems there are more this season....or is it just me?
                    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                      I was wondering if all conferences of Div. 1 hockey have this many bye weeks in a season or is it just the WCHA? It seems there are more this season....or is it just me?
                      The big reason this season has been so bad is Michigan Tech had to schedule NMU on two Tuesday nights instead of weekend AND MTU isn't travelling to Anchorage so they have 2 less games on the schedule compared to last year...plus some years it doesn't seem as bad when bye weeks fall near christmas break or around Thanksgiving. Next year should be better because all our NC games should fall on weekends and we'll either have 2 or 4 extra games depending of we head to Anchorage and/or Fairbanks.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        The big reason this season has been so bad is Michigan Tech had to schedule NMU on two Tuesday nights instead of weekend AND MTU isn't travelling to Anchorage so they have 2 less games on the schedule compared to last year...plus some years it doesn't seem as bad when bye weeks fall near christmas break or around Thanksgiving. Next year should be better because all our NC games should fall on weekends and we'll either have 2 or 4 extra games depending of we head to Anchorage and/or Fairbanks.
                        I thought I heard somewhere that the Alaska trip was going to be over Thanksgiving with both schools on back to back weekends. Any truth to that still?
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by midwest hockey View Post
                          Tech is headed in the right direction. The losses are not surprising, given the youth of this team. Anyone (seemingly most, given the reduced energy on this thread) who is truly shocked and dismayed by the season was being far too optimistic. Teams this young, especially goaltending, don't win consistently at this level. Period. The program is in good hands, and I don't just mean Mel--Damon, Bill and Suzanne are first class also. Top notch folks, the bunch of them. Trust me when I say they are head and shoulders ahead of their competition. I would know, because my son has met a lot of that competition in the past months; that's why the recruiting results are what they are. Things will turn. Everyone needs to relax a bit, and I think that's what Mel is really trying to say. The only mistake Mel can make is to get down and have that infect the kids--he is clearly not doing that. As for the nWCHA, I consider it an advantage in recruiting, not a detriment. MTU will be in the hunt for a playoff spot on an annual basis, starting next year.
                          This post makes me feel happy inside. And you know it's true.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                            I thought I heard somewhere that the Alaska trip was going to be over Thanksgiving with both schools on back to back weekends. Any truth to that still?
                            I will ask, I'm pretty sure two schools are planning on doing that year but I'm not sure Michigan Tech is one of them, or what effect Alabama-Huntsville had on that plan. I might sit down with Mel tomorrow and if I get the chance, I plan on getting some answers about NC schedules and I'll try and ask about Alaska trips, if they know. Ran into Mel and Steve Shields at the library tonight. They were out with former Husky Jimmy Roy who currently works as director of player development for the Winnipeg Jets. Gave Jimmy a little crap about making sure Jake Jackson is on their radar for late in the draft.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Re: the comparisons to Hastings/Mankato there are some similarities, extremely injured the year before Hastings/Mel took over, but am I accurate in saying the players/system Hastings wants to play is much more similar to Jutting than Mel's system compared to Jamie recruits/players? It's harder to turnover a roster/have immediate success when you're going from big/physical to good skating and fast. Eick and Gould have played a lot more than I had guessed, but if they fit Mel's system more than upperclassmen maybe it makes sense.

Good comments by Midwest Hockey, did their son commit to Tech?

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                                I felt the same way! I Thought you had one week off every "semester" of hockey. but this year there are has been four or five it seems.
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X