Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Does anybody know why...........

A. So many Tech players were announced as scratches before the game as there were and........

B. Why some of them actually played?

This was noticeable be cause of the sheer number of guys they announced and because one of those names was Blake Pietila, which had everybody sitting around me going "What? Is he hurt or something?"

Seriously, they ticked off like 8 or 9 scratches which is another thing that made it all the more noticeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      Does anybody know why...........

A. So many Tech players were announced as scratches before the game as there were and........

B. Why some of them actually played?

This was noticeable be cause of the sheer number of guys they announced and because one of those names was Blake Pietila, which had everybody sitting around me going "What? Is he hurt or something?"

Seriously, they ticked off like 8 or 9 scratches which is another thing that made it all the more noticeable.
      Are you sure the didn't say Aaron Pietila or Chad Pietila?
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

My guess would be that they announced Blake Hietala. If you are not paying close attention, Hietala sounds a whole lot like Pietila over the PA system.

Nice win last night for the Huskies. Good to see Lickteig get a big goal.

Comment

Jake Jackson had a hat trick last night

Here's an article about his decision to stay in HS over the USHL.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_arti...errer_id=32770

Comment

Though this article is a couple of weeks old now, it's interesting to hear tDon's spin on not scheduling UND for a few years...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/187827071.html

What struck me most was his likening of non-conference scheduling to musical chairs - you've got to be prepared to seize your best opportunities to schedule good NC opponents. Hopefully, we get those games with Michigan and Michigan State for a couple of seasons, regardless of how those programs may be doing in the W-L column in a year or two. Combined with the extra home game against NMU, that would help fill the gap left by the departure of 'marquee' teams Minnesota and Wisconsin, by giving us a pair of home games against a B1G team in the short term. Plus, from a purely selfish standpoint, traveling to those road series would be easy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Though this article is a couple of weeks old now, it's interesting to hear tDon's spin on not scheduling UND for a few years...http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/187827071.htmlWhat struck me most was his likening of non-conference scheduling to musical chairs - you've got to be prepared to seize your best opportunities to schedule good NC opponents. Hopefully, we get those games with Michigan and Michigan State for a couple of seasons, regardless of how those programs may be doing in the W-L column in a year or two. Combined with the extra home game against NMU, that would help fill the gap left by the departure of 'marquee' teams Minnesota and Wisconsin, by giving us a pair of home games against a B1G team in the short term. Plus, from a purely selfish standpoint, traveling to those road series would be easy for me.
              Marquee > Wisky

Comment

Mel Pearson show summary 2-4-13:

On Friday night:
                I missed the first 5 mins - they likely talked about our slow start
                Good 2nd Period, Blais called a TO to gather his team
                Weren't getting pucks to the net, did a better job of that in 3rd
                Big Petan goal early in 3rd, good game the rest of the way until refs decided to get involved
                Brad Stebner took his guy out, ref called penalty, they had been letting the players play, they decided to call a penalty out of neutral zone, not a bad hit or anything ,let the guys play
                This is a penalty they're looking for, the refs did a good job most of the weekend except 5 min stretch
                Have to kill the PK, for 1:45 did a great job, then they got a bounce, down 4-2
                Kero scored to make it 4-3
                Seemed like Blais was playing more of top two lines, we were rolling all 4 lines, may have helped us going into Sat

On Saturday night:
                We were ready to play, better team from the drop of the puck
                Interesting that Blais thought his team played a better game Saturday than Friday, they generated more shots, but didn't have as many Grade A chances on Saturday
                Dirk - Shot people at UNO, not convinced it's completely accurate but outshot by UNO 12-4 in 1st, Mel - May be accurate, not concerned about shots, we had a good 1st period
                D. Johnstone - great shot, on his off-wing, have a better angle at the net, patient, goalie made first move, great shot
                Dirk - Did UNO dman make a mistake not going to Petan to let goalie know Johnstone had to shoot it - Mel - Yes, would tell our Dman to put more pressure on Johnstone to force him to pass or put him on a worse angle
                UNO scores - tough goal, Archibald nice give-n-go, Dman didn't react in time, backhand goal
                Head to OT - Likteig goal, every shot in OT is a good chance, Likteig shoots it like that in practice, one of the better wrist shots on our team, he went high glove side
                36 saves for Copley, made 1 or 2 Grade A game saving saves, their guy did too, Blake had a great chance that was stopped
                Faulkner made a lot of great glove saves all weekend
                5 min major PP - we looked tired, they outworked us, we were had two excellent chances, Petan back door, had a little patience, great save
                Dirk - Did the ice condition affect both teams? Mel - we didn't talk about it once, we just played, delays got a little long
                Dirk - during PP it seemed we couldn't do waht we wanted passing wise Mel - UNO was complaiing more about this ice Sat than we were, that's why it's nice to have your own rink, there was a BBall game earlier in the day
                plus there was ice skating the week before and when they went to build the ice back up they didn't build it back up gradually creating brittle ice

Stebner was a healthy scratch on Saturday - will he back this weekend?
                Not sure when he'll be back in, he had a tough game, he's a had afew tough games. He's been struggling, take him out, look at your game, evaluate what you need to do to get back to that.

Tommy Brown - did a real nice job, when you don't notice Dman, they played pretty well.
                Carl Nielisen - strong
                Sova had his best weekend since he's been back, skated, engaged physically
                ALl our Dmen played well
                Rix/Eick did a good job
                Likteig - good to have him in lineup, played him against their top line, only 2nd game of season, he can skate, backcheck/forecheck, good kid/always work hard, on him abotu his complete level, be stronger along board/compete, he's done that

UAA coming in this weekend, two ties against CC:
                They're a scrapy team, Mel's talked to a number of coaches that have played them, they're a tough/scrappy team
                Can not take any team lightly, especially in WCHA
                We need to act like we're playing a 1st place team, have to play our game, this week will be about how we have to play
                Dirk - We've gotten seperate from Bemidji, how high can we go? Mel - Havne't looked at that. We've decided we need to just take it 1 game at a time. Have to play at a high level. Our goal is to get to final five in St. Paul.

Relief that Copley has solidified goaltending? Mel - It helps. Have faith in all three of our goalies. It helps the team whent hey step on ice, they can play a little more confident.

They reviewed WCHA Scores, I don't think there were any questions for Mel this week. dj@themix93.com for questions

Ticket Giveaway for Friday night: Winter Carinval started in 1949, through 1958 only 3 opponents, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, what team broke that trend?
                Answer: Colorado College

Saturday ticket giveaway question: - remember 5:07ET start
                Who coached Huskies in 1st winter carnival series? Bessone

Lot going on, special promotion going on. $30 for tickets to all 6 events, quite a deal. Great weekend of hockey, big games for us. The guys feed off of great crowds, we'll be ready to play.

Dirk - It's a fun team to watch, get out and watch. Kids are only $15 for all 6 games. On sale through Thursday.

Blue Line Luncheon noon Friday at Continental.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  Are you sure the didn't say Aaron Pietila or Chad Pietila?
                  I'd bet big money you're right. Everybody was talking (read: not paying that much attention) and all of a sudden the word "Pietila" is what caught my ear and everybody else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Thecalkid View Post
                    How much did gibsons and gaudrea's go for
                    Sorry for the late follow-up, I was sans-internet this weekend.
                    The top selling jersey went for $3780.00

This should show you all of the results:
                    Auction Results
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

For those of you who knew Pekka Saittakari, you might enjoy this link:
                      http://peliitat.fi/
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        For those of you who knew Pekka Saittakari, you might enjoy this link:
                        http://peliitat.fi/
                        From Google's automated effort I can see people are right when they say Finn is hard to translate.
                        The match progressed, however, a steady and no goals, so the solution was applied for the longest pattern.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Bump off Page 2

From the Providence Journal here's a blog post about John Scott with quotes from Jamie Russell

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...igan-tech.html

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                            blog post about John Scott with quotes from Jamie Russell
                            The two best quotes:
                            Scott dropped the gloves just once at Michigan Tech from 2002 to 2006... Russell remembers the fight well.
                            "We had pretty physical games with North Dakota. There was one game in particular that was really heated. Emotions boiled over. North Dakota's captain (Ryan Hale) came off the bench and challenged John. John responded, and sent him back to the room for repairs,'' said Russell...
                            With prodding from Russell, the 30-year-old Scott attended classes during the summer to finish his degree in mechanical engineering. "He's a smart guy. I told him, 'I want you to get your degree. It's important to me.

I'm more impressed with the second item and I'm glad Russell pushed him to do it. It's likely hard to get anyone in D-I to focus on school expecially when you think you can go pro. How many guys who are on an NHL roster have a degree in engineering?

Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I kinda wish it was possible to get Russel as an assistant but what's done is done.
                              Huskys all the way

Comment

I was really surprised when i showed up to graduation and a couple rows behind me is john scott
                                Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                                Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Working...
                                X