Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

A few points.
    1. a winning team will bring out more students, but it might take two or three years before there is more demand than there is seats. I think there ought to be some of the seats on the student side taken away and sold to the community or given away to youth hockey.

2. I agree that it's early but you have to think well ahead or you end up behind, and I think winning will bring out people faster than you think.

3. I think if you added 6 or 8 more suites you would have all of them sold in a year or two, And even if they were only sold for the bigger games like carnival, nmu etc, it would be worth doing.

4. I think the east end makes the most sense as far as changes. lets say the suites were at the same level as the ones now, then below that could there not be just regular seats going down to ice level. Put the hall of fame in the concourse that's behind the suites and some special rooms in the corners. I'd also add some better food service places, as the ones we have just do not supply a full house now let alone additional people, and the food isn't very good. I get pretty frustrated waiting in line and often just go back to my seat rather than stand in line for 20 minutes.
    5. Speaking of food, can't we have a salad for sale somewhere!( I had a lot of fun at the tailgate they had early in the year, but the food was terrible)
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

There really isn't a formal segregation of the community and the students. It's just that the cranky geezers sometimes get their undies in a bunch about a few of the student cheers, and so they prefer to rattle their canes, walkers, and dentures, and fling holy water from the other side of the arena. No one is stopping them from buying seats on the "student" side (other than Section L).

Also, who eats salad at a hockey game? Really, they just need to keep the Jilbert's ice cream, the obligatory popcorn, the WCHA's best nachos (), and pop, as I think those are the big sellers. The pre-cooked hot dogs and lukewarm cardboard pizza are just gross. Having mistakenly tried both, I have no idea who eats that crap.

Comment

Team also has Luke Davison (Junior defenseman) who is the younger brother of Wisconsin recruit Tim Davison. Luke already has an offer from Michigan Tech and has generated interest from a lot of schools around the country. Luke skates as well as any defenseman in the 96 class, but I worry about his awareness level moving up the ladder. Davison like his older brother is property of the Chicago Steel.
        Huskys all the way

Comment

aw cmon! us geezers are shaking our canes in favor of the risque cheers! objections to chants IMHO are from the admin - most likely worried about political correctness.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
            First, why is there no MTU/UNO thread?
            On its thread UNO is focusing on its outdoor game with North Dakota the following weekend.

Comment

Greetings Tech fans! Our fanbase is still thrilled with the sweep of our nemesis Bemidji! We're also happy to have home games for the first time in many a fortnight.

If you're making the trip, the forecast is supposed to turn nice after a few inches of snow and a very cold spell, but we'll see about that. If you're making the trip and need restaurant, social recommendations please let us know!

As for the team. We've got a legitimate Hobey Baker candidate now in Ryan Walters. A guy that gave you guys problems up there Raubenheimer is out, as is Monpetit so the forward depth isn't tremendous. That said, Johnnie Searfoss came back and made an impact last weekend, and Matt White can be the best player on the ice. In goal, you'll see John Faulkner as our # 2 kid, a freshman, bolted midseason.

There should be a pretty good crowd both nights as one of the larger companies in town sponsors this weekend and will have an awful lot of tickets. We've been drawing 5-6K pretty much all year, I'd expect 7-8 this weekend at least.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                5. Speaking of food, can't we have a salad for sale somewhere!( I had a lot of fun at the tailgate they had early in the year, but the food was terrible)
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM6xVQwIOYQ

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                On its thread UNO is focusing on its outdoor game with North Dakota the following weekend.
                Good idea, focus on the important stuff. I will be in attendance of said outdoor game, that's where the Mavericks' minds should be. MTU? I don't think they're even in the same conference as UNO anymore, I'll bet those are just exhibition games.
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                  Good idea, focus on the important stuff. I will be in attendance of said outdoor game, that's where the Mavericks' minds should be. MTU? I don't think they're even in the same conference as UNO anymore, I'll bet those are just exhibition games.
                  UND's focus was on the outdoor game last Friday, so I see no reason why UNO's focus shouldn't also be on the outdoor game.
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    UND's focus was on the outdoor game last Friday, so I see no reason why UNO's focus shouldn't also be on the outdoor game.
                    "UND Hockey 4-0-0 in the last two weeks... if they'd cared."

I hear Randy Moss is a big fan of UND's.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Thecalkid View Post
                      Team also has Luke Davison (Junior defenseman) who is the younger brother of Wisconsin recruit Tim Davison. Luke already has an offer from Michigan Tech and has generated interest from a lot of schools around the country. Luke skates as well as any defenseman in the 96 class, but I worry about his awareness level moving up the ladder. Davison like his older brother is property of the Chicago Steel.
                      What exactly are you saying? I'm struggling with the context of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by midwest hockey View Post
                        Michigan Tech is interested in Luke Davison who I believe plays for Team Wisconsin with Tristan Rostagno. Luke's older brother, Tim, is committed to Wisconsin. Luke and Tim have played prep hockey for Notre Dame HS in Green Bay.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Michigan Tech is interested in Luke Davison who I believe plays for Team Wisconsin with Tristan Rostagno. Luke's older brother, Tim, is committed to Wisconsin. Luke and Tim have played prep hockey for Notre Dame HS in Green Bay.
                          He played TW U18. Very good puck moving d-man, but lacks size. Not sure what pipeline for D recruits EXACTLY looks like, but it seems Tech already has several that fit that mold. Maybe they need to add more "muscle that can move" into the mix?

Comment

• Originally posted by midwest hockey View Post
                            I had just copied it off of the Wisconsin thread
                            Huskys all the way

Comment

Linkorama is back! We have a new writer helping out with the return of Linkorama...check it out: Week 16
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Well these are just ideas, but you don't get to a good solution without lots of ideas floated out there where you get to pick from them.

I liked at the st cloud arena the spot under the suites where there was advertising and stuff flashed up. otherwise, suites are suites.

As far as food etc at the MAC. What if you had one place that sold; Chili, Brats, Dogs, Pre made burgers, pizza, crazy bread, some drinks. Kind of little ceaser's on steroids. The second place would have baked goods, salads, shrimp salad in particular, latte's, hot chocolate, juice, kind of like ummm.... STARBUCKS or maybe Panera Bread.

Then make these places accessible all the time. Students are up the hill to the gym a lot, I bet they would do a lot of business, not just on game nights. Give coupons so people can go, get some food and watch warm ups prior to the game. Kind of like the opera does in Detroit. you go an hour early and get something to eat before the opera starts. It's great and you get to interact with other fans that way. Then you have some TV's in there that you show Dirk doing a pre game show on, with interviews, etc. Just keep mitch off of it.

Then take the new downstairs and make it into something. Maybe the hall of fame is down there, maybe you have other needs, maybe you have a second entrance, who knows.

The Mac is good, and there have been some real good improvements, but it can be better and the food is unacceptable.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X