Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

and we've still have another series with bye before the season is over. sigh.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      well I'm totally sick of the byes as well, I think it's hurting us.

Looking forward, our defense has to get better and I'm hoping with Sova coming back it does. Steve Anderson's tweets a little disquieting last night. Watching that Mankato vs Minny game on friday, Mankato played so disciplined on defense it got them to a place they had a chance. I think we have to do that the rest of the way, play our game and limit the mistakes. We have more depth than a lot of teams.
      I wouldn't read too much into an exhibition. Just look at the one in Calumet earlier this year, where the defense looked solid, then got exposed in the first half. Plus, no matter how much the coaching staff emphasizes treating these like real games, I wouldn't expect as much physical play during an intrasquad game, because you don't want to injure your own players.

This recruiting visit must be an important one if Mel is handling it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Mel and his staff seem to have targeted taller goalies with Copley and Phillips, and he'd be a 21-year old freshman. If he comes here, he will likely be the third-stringer, at least for the first couple of years.
        Kujava put up sick number for the Janesville Jets and was a really hot commodity in the NAHL. I watched him play a few times and he was really quick for a smaller guy. He won several games for the Jets almost single-handedly. He's also the kind of player that would be likely to come to Houghton, being a Green Bay native. He'd be a great backup once Genoe's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
          Kujava put up sick number for the Janesville Jets and was a really hot commodity in the NAHL. I watched him play a few times and he was really quick for a smaller guy. He won several games for the Jets almost single-handedly. He's also the kind of player that would be likely to come to Houghton, being a Green Bay native. He'd be a great backup once Genoe's gone.
          I think he is the perfect 3rd string goalie for tech because he should be able to play and steal if called upon and could conceivably develop into a starter for his senior year to allow Michigan Tech to stagger their scholarship goalies when Copley and Phillips leave.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Anyone have a summary of the Mel show today, I was airborne and missed it. Also tried to find it on the Tech web site but it's not there.

BTW Nicaragua is a great place for a snorkeling/diving vacation. You can rent a house on the beach for a week, eat like a king steak every night, snorkel, go fishing, etc and the total cost, exclusive of airfare, is under 600 dollars for two people.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
              Let's have a few winning seasons in row before we talk expansion We're jumping the gun there a bit
              Looking at the attendance figures so far this year, we are filling up almost all of the seats, or at least we are selling them. Going forward, it's not out of line to expect the attendance to continue to grow each year. Standing room is fine but thinking 3 years ahead, IMHO we need a plan for more seating.

I think, given a winning team, we could support a 5500 seat arena in total. The community is bigger than it was 40 years ago when the MAC was designed. I would bet we could fill that many right now for some games. So if we add 600 seats of a permanent nature and have ability to put up another 400 temps that would do the trick, no? You could subtract maybe 150 from new suites.I think we should be pushing for it now and I think it would make money.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Looking at the attendance figures so far this year, we are filling up almost all of the seats, or at least we are selling them. Going forward, it's not out of line to expect the attendance to continue to grow each year. Standing room is fine but thinking 3 years ahead, IMHO we need a plan for more seating.

I think, given a winning team, we could support a 5500 seat arena in total. The community is bigger than it was 40 years ago when the MAC was designed. I would bet we could fill that many right now for some games. So if we add 600 seats of a permanent nature and have ability to put up another 400 temps that would do the trick, no? You could subtract maybe 150 from new suites.I think we should be pushing for it now and I think it would make money.
                The community side is nearly full every night (when the ballet isn't in town). The student section is pathetic. they may have those 400 seats "sold", but students aren't even showing up for the free seats. There's four rows of students behind the bench that actually look alive, and then a whole much of empty seats. I say take those seats away from the students and give them away to the the residents of South Range or something.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                  The community side is nearly full every night (when the ballet isn't in town). The student section is pathetic. they may have those 400 seats "sold", but students aren't even showing up for the free seats. There's four rows of students behind the bench that actually look alive, and then a whole much of empty seats. I say take those seats away from the students and give them away to the the residents of South Range or something.
                  The problem is the students no longer have to invest anything in getting seats so why go until you've forgotten there was even a game tonight. I think they should go back to not including hockey in the freebies. It just doesn't work. I'd rather have student pricing so stupids buy season tickets and then feel vested in showing up because they spent money.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    The problem is the students no longer have to invest anything in getting seats so why go until you've forgotten there was even a game tonight. I think they should go back to not including hockey in the freebies. It just doesn't work. I'd rather have student pricing so stupids buy season tickets and then feel vested in showing up because they spent money.
                    The problem is Tech has been a perennial doormat for the last 25 years. Put a winning team on the ice and people will show up.
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                      The problem is Tech has been a perennial doormat for the last 25 years. Put a winning team on the ice and people will show up.
                      No arguing that but until we're winning regularly, I think it should go back to pay to attend to create that investment by the students that want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        Why would you as a student invest in a team that you know as a perennial doormat? A majority of students, even though most are from the Metro Detroit area are clueless about hockey in general let alone college hockey.

They already pay and don't go, so now you want them to have to choose to pay?

Winning solves almost all the problems. Have something before or after the hockey events. Do they offer a bus service to the game? A reminder of some sort? You do NOT need to spend on doing thing between periods is my belief, or if you do make it where you actually get a winning.

At one point Tech had a Zamboni group that would cheer the Zamboni.

A student marketing group could really work on this.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          Why would you as a student invest in a team that you know as a perennial doormat? A majority of students, even though most are from the Metro Detroit area are clueless about hockey in general let alone college hockey.

They already pay and don't go, so now you want them to have to choose to pay?

Winning solves almost all the problems. Have something before or after the hockey events. Do they offer a bus service to the game? A reminder of some sort? You do NOT need to spend on doing thing between periods is my belief, or if you do make it where you actually get a winning.

At one point Tech had a Zamboni group that would cheer the Zamboni.

A student marketing group could really work on this.
                          Yes I do because one of biggest stuggles for Mitch's Misfits is organization and while I know the first year the Tech Experience was also a down year for MTU, I am positive the change to no skin in the game for students changed things. When you have 5-6 rows of dedicated fans that paid money up front, they're more likely not to skip a game, they're more likely to go on saturday after a loss on friday and the misfits can be better organized when week-in week-out a core group can be up front, etc.

Comment

When I was a student, we paid for tickets, and we still had a pretty decent student turnout, with the team as doormats, once Shirtless had Misfits up and running. From what I've seen, since the admission was free, the student turnout has been worse, and the team has been better. (at least the last 2 years)
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Fortunately, the WC series is against a team we should beat. Unfortunately, we go almost a month between NMU the following Tuesday, and the last home series of the year vs. CC, which of course is over Spring Break anyway. That long winless streak in the first half pretty much doomed student attendance, because the way the scheduling shook out it doesn't stand much of a chance of recovery, even if they were to win more games from here on out.

Comment

Just one opinion, take it or leave it, but SCSU allows students to get in for free and for a long while we had really good attendance (even now is not terrible, just not what it was). But they have to charge for playoff games, and it literally was like I think $8 a ticket and it was the PLAYOFFS, and it was the worst attended series of the year.

Don't give your students another excuse to not go. Get a winning program and get going to hockey games the cool thing on campus to do and they'll come
                                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                                X