Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I thought Russell was a real good recruiter. His problem was the players didn't seem to develop under him. I think one of Mel's strengths is that his players get steadily better. Second, he has good relations with NHL people that Russell didn't seem to have and his system is one that kids want to play instead of one kids are skeptical of. And last, Russell did not have the respect of the players, whereas Mel does.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      I thought Russell was a real good recruiter. His problem was the players didn't seem to develop under him. I think one of Mel's strengths is that his players get steadily better. Second, he has good relations with NHL people that Russell didn't seem to have and his system is one that kids want to play instead of one kids are skeptical of. And last, Russell did not have the respect of the players, whereas Mel does.
      The Russell "era" of Tech hockey was not a failure. Yeah, the on-ice results were lacking, but in most other areas he was a complete success, to the point where I'm confident saying that Tech hockey would not be where it is today without Jamie Russell's contributions. The arena improvements, locker room and weight room improvements were under his watch. He did build up the talent, as we can see with some of his last recruits. He just wasn't able to get the team over that last hump, which I think is due to the reasons you state, lack of development and he didn't have the players' respect as Mel does.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        The Russell "era" of Tech hockey was not a failure. Yeah, the on-ice results were lacking, but in most other areas he was a complete success, to the point where I'm confident saying that Tech hockey would not be where it is today without Jamie Russell's contributions. The arena improvements, locker room and weight room improvements were under his watch. He did build up the talent, as we can see with some of his last recruits. He just wasn't able to get the team over that last hump, which I think is due to the reasons you state, lack of development and he didn't have the players' respect as Mel does.
        As much as I wanted Russell to get another year to see what he could do with the players coming in, I think we all realize that Russell's recruited players gave Mel a great chance for early success and the ability to change the culture with a fresh face and gain the players' respect early.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Tech now has 4 of the top 40 scorers in the BCHL committed:
          Reid Sturos (16g 20a)
          Shane Hanna (8g 27a)
          Demico Hannoun (14g 18a)
          Alex Gillies (14g 17a)

Had 3 of the top 20 last year with Petan, Khaira, and Gould.
          Did someone here say Sturos had de-committed? Or was that just a vile rumor?
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            I loved (or still do now that I think of it) to rip on MTU for being trbl (so bad at times it wasn't deserving of any vowels) over the last decade, but honestly for a few years there at the end of Jamie's run I thought you guys had the right pieces in place and then you were hit with a sick amount of injuries, and not just in the amount of talent was taken out but also key players. It looks like Mel is the right guy at the right time and it was time to move on but I for one will not be someone to harp on Jamie and I agree, were it not for a lot of things he did, I don't think Mel would have come into a position where he could have as much early success as he has had.
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
              Did someone here say Sturos had de-committed? Or was that just a vile rumor?
              Last I heard, he was still headed to Tech for next season. He has not signed a NLOI so that is not guaranteed at this moment but it sounds like an extremely likely possibility.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Every time I try to get caught up on recruiting articles, I fall behind. Just completed an article on Mark Auk who is now playing in the USHL.
                Huskies Get Their Mark

Comment

Here's a blog post about Shane Hanna's commitment to Tech and an audio interview with him at the end of it.

http://silverbacksmack.blogspot.com/...igan-tech.html

Comment

Here's an interesting (and impressive) bit of research posted in a different thread on USCHO. It shows how our recruits are stacking up against the other current WCHA teams.

http://umdbulldogcountry.blogspot.com/

...broken down by team:

http://umdbulldogcountry.blogspot.com/p/wcha.html

Comment

I can't believe that no one has posted their predictions yet for this weekend, so I'll have to be the first.
                      Following up on last weekend's three points, I think Tech keeps rolling and sweeps Bye - break out the brooms!
                      A sweep on the weekend should also cause Tech to jump Bye in the national polls as well.
                      Go Tech!
                      Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        I can't believe that no one has posted their predictions yet for this weekend, so I'll have to be the first.
                        Following up on last weekend's three points, I think Tech keeps rolling and sweeps Bye - break out the brooms!
                        A sweep on the weekend should also cause Tech to jump Bye in the national polls as well.
                        Go Tech!
                        Ryan J
                        But Bye stays ahead in PWR based on SoS. They have played every good team in the nation. Have you seen their schedule? We make fun of EZAC teams and say they have played nobody. Bye has literally played everybody!
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Goalie Tony Kujava has visited Tech he plays for the gamblers http://t.co/ytSWDiYb
                          Huskys all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Thecalkid View Post
                            Goalie Tony Kujava has visited Tech he plays for the gamblers http://t.co/ytSWDiYb
                            Mel and his staff seem to have targeted taller goalies with Copley and Phillips, and he'd be a 21-year old freshman. If he comes here, he will likely be the third-stringer, at least for the first couple of years.

Comment

we've played bye every other weekend this season. or so it seems. some weekends when we weren't playing bye we played like we were playing bye. of course, playing bye means nothing.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

well I'm totally sick of the byes as well, I think it's hurting us.

Looking forward, our defense has to get better and I'm hoping with Sova coming back it does. Steve Anderson's tweets a little disquieting last night. Watching that Mankato vs Minny game on friday, Mankato played so disciplined on defense it got them to a place they had a chance. I think we have to do that the rest of the way, play our game and limit the mistakes. We have more depth than a lot of teams.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X